Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Both Windows quit working

After cleaning the car and a dead battery, the windows seemed to be locked in the closed position. Everything else works, roof move from open to closed if I open the doors, but then the doors wont close.

Both side windows, if I try to lower with the buttons, the interior light dims and I hear the windows try to move.

It starts and everything else works electrical work, fuses C3 and D1 are good, door locks with key or dash switch, just the windows will not move.

2002 Boxster S

Its like the windows are locked.

Does the security system lock the the windows?

Edited by Sheldon Kletzel

Are the windows frozen shut?

Your mail indicates the lights dim when you press the button but windows dont move - and also you hear the motors, could it be that the windows have frozen and the mechanicals are working fine?.

The glass is held onto the frame by two bolts that pinch the glass, if the glass is able to move away from the carrier the window stays shut but the carrier continues to move up and down.

Not a clue what your weather is but just read another post from someone in NY who said it was bitter cold.

If the roof is moving then there is enough power to operate the windows, If the windows are not stuck in the closed position (and windows detached from the carrier) and you can hear motors running when you use the window buttons then its got to be door card off to have a look inside.

Unlikely that both cables have broken at the same time.

Are there any clues towards the failure on the last window operation you can recall?

One clue,"I32" shows under alarm codes with Durametric just showed up,

Other then that, it has me stumped. They (both sides) make a single clack sound, but do not move.

Had started to clean the car for spring, and the battery was dead as the charger quit at some point. Charged the battery over night and started the car, let it run for a while till warmed up. Before I shut it off I opened the roof to make cleaning the inside easier. I don't think the windows lowered but the roof opened. When I went to close the roof is when I discovered the windows would not lower out of the way. So I put the roof down, tested fuses, everything works, no other codes on Durametric.

Thanks Glyn, followed your suggestion. removed the door panel. Removed the window and tracks and motor assembly. I had it sitting on my lap still with electrical connected. Turned the key on> pushed the window switch> motor started to turn> cables pulled tighter = it seemed to wanted to move but only the cables became tighter then relaxed. Released the switch, pushed it again with same result. I can feel the unit torque up then relax

So I disconnected the wiring harness put a multimeter to the wiring connection attached to the car. Using the ground (black) found only one that never has power flow even when working the switch for up and down. It yellow with grey or silver stripe, not sure what function it would control.

Still very stumped as to why both windows at the same time seem to be frozen or locked

:D Drivers side working, as I disassembled the door, only after I separated the motor from the cable pulley. Ran the motor with the wiring harness, it worked fine in both directions. I then reattached the motor to the cable and tried it one more time. IT MOVED!! Reinstalled everything and it works like normal, did not even need a reset.

Now to fluke off the passenger side, but honestly I do not know what the heck I did or why its now working.

The yellow/grey wire connects to a terminal called on the wiring diagram as: comfort close. This wire has a common connection to a similar terminal on the other window motor and, importantly, the central alarm control unit. It looks like something got set in the central alarm when your battery died. If it happens again or the same fixed doesn't work on the passenger side, try unlocking and locking the door with the key as a first step. If that doesn't help, search for dead battery central locking problems.

post-60537-0-37818100-1362494060.jpg