Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

engine specs MY99 carrera

Hey guys

I have had my 99 Carrera for a couple of years now..I have always wondered about the engine specs.

I know the MY99 is a 3.4l engine...but on my car, the plate inside the engine bay cover states displacement: 3596cc....which is 3.6l...is this correct or do I not have the original engine that the car came with? I need to order some parts now so need to make sure I order the right stuff.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dylan

PS

If it helps I can attach a photo of the specs inside the engine bay..

• Admin

Only way to make a best guess is from the engine serial number (and assuming no one has made internal changes/mods to the engine).

Sometimes folks add the nicer air cleaner cover from the late 996 and 997 series - but that does not change the engine.

• Upvote 1

My engine serial number indicates MY98..is this normal on a MY99 Carrera?

Also, there is "AI" after the number "551" right at the end of the serial number..any idea what "AI" indicates?

Thanks

• Admin

My engine serial number indicates MY98..is this normal on a MY99 Carrera?

Also, there is "AI" after the number "551" right at the end of the serial number..any idea what "AI" indicates?

Thanks

It certainly can be. Production for MY1999 began in July 1998 so it is definitely possible to have parts (including engines and transmissions) built in 1998 but used in MY1999.

BTW... pretty much all car makers do this.

Reworked engines just mean they "went back to machine shop" to be made within spec, and were found to be in spec once work was complete.

Sometimes it can mean a factory "rebuilt" engine as well, depending on the year (example many M96-01 engines were remanu'ed in 05). In those cases yes it can actually be more reliable, for example if the original engine had a single row IMS bearing and then was upgraded to the larger non serviceable IMS bearing with load rating similar to the original dual row.

If you post your full serial we can help decode it.

Edited by logray

Are you sure this is the complete sn? Having hard time decoding it. Maybe take wire brush to the sn plate, cleqn it, and take a pic.

Want to make sure if you have the larger stronger unserviceable ims bearing before you tear into it.

Pm me if someone or I do not respond right away.

• Upvote 1

dylanjl, I don't know if you have seen another thread that I started recently where engine numbers featured, but I also have AT in my group which reads:

M96/03AT 665 66***

Here you will see in my group that the AT is in a different location.

I am pleased that you started your thread as it was the source of my finding out what the AT stands for (Exchange). From excellent sources on this board I was told that for the the group 665 the last digit "5" gives the year of manufacture. In your case the "W" will do that, which is for 1998 I think. In my car the original engine had the group 663 indicating a 2003 engine consistent with the car's year of manufacture.

As for the "AT" Porsche UK could not tell me what the letters stand for. However, the technicians in my nearest Porsche dealership in the UK think that it could mean that the engine has been replaced at some time. The parts catalogue does not recognise the number when the letters AT are included.

It would be an interesting thread to find out how many 996 Porsche vehicles have exchange engines with the stamp "AT"

Best of luck with your quest.

Edited by Hilux2400

For dylanjl...

M96/01 = 1st gen 996 3.4L water cooled
66W = 1998 911
07551 = production sequence (in the range 00501-60000)
AT = rebuilt/exchanged
Your S/N is in the original range, check for the presence of blue paint on the case.
Edited by logray

Thank you. Those are really interesting threads. Particularly the posting that refers to the inclusion of the "X" for rebuilt with some parts and "AT" which is exchange.

What is the state of an exchange unit? Does it come ready assembled with all necessary parts such as alternator, air con, power steering, manifolds, and belt etc all set up, or is it just a bare block and heads?

What's the feeling on a poll to find out the extent of exchange engines currently in use, such as those bearing an "AT" stamp?