Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What do people here use to clean their car exterior? Has anyone ever used Optimum No Rinse? I've heard it's pretty decent and very easy to use with little water. Any other good suggestions? I've had my car detailed once and they made caused damage to leather (scraped inside door panel with ring I think). My black C4S is beautiful when it's clean but that's only for about 5 hours :)

How often do people wax and what kind do people prefer that is fairly low labor intensive?

Maybe there's a good discussion going in another group but I didn't see one here...

• Moderators

Nothing beats a good sudsing with a quality car wash formulated not to remove the wax (P21 or Sonnax) followed by a rinse with a lot of clear water. Everything else is just push the dirt around, which is a recipe for scratches.

There are a number of threads in the Pelican Body and Paint Forum and quite frankly opinions are all over the map. The following works for me.

1. Like JFP said, P21S or Sonnax wash and dry with two large micro fiber cloths (MFC).

2. I then continue with Maguires clay bar with their lubricant (good alternative is Blackfire clay and lub.). Wipe clean with new MFC.

3. I Follow up with a 6" orbital polish with Good quality foam pad such as Buff 'n Shine blue or black using as good quality polishing compound such Maguires (I had lousy results with Groits products and instructions on both my dark blue cars). Wipe clean with new MFC.

4. follow that up with Blackfire's Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protectant which is long lasting and provides a great wet look. Easy to apply by hand/orbital if finish is really clean, disastrous if not well preped as per above. Buff clean with new MFC.

5. I finish off with P21s carnauba wax as it is easy to apply by hand of with orbital and buffed with MFC. It does not leave any white residue if you happen to get it on rubber trim.

6. The wax does not last long so I redo this about every six weeks immediately after a wash. Takes about an hour tops with a beer break. The rest I do late fall before the car goes away for the winter and again in mid June. Car is hand washed at least weekly by me only using Maguires wash and two micro fiber mits, one for the wheels and another dedicated for the paint.

I use micro fiber cloths exclusely as I maintain that cotton no matter how fine or soft do leave a trace of swirls-my opinion not necessarily subscribed by others.

My 997 is not a garage queen. It is driven extensively and I still get compliments even after seven years. A bit obsessed? My wife would agree.... Hope this helps.

Good technique is more important than the actural products (brand) used. And lots of water. This is the only time I let my Porsches get wet.

Some tips:

1) good quality towels and rags

2) dedicated for thier jobs (glass, wheels, paint, and etc.)

3) wash wheels first, change wash water and rag, wash lower 1/2 car next, change wash water and rag, final wash the whole car again (except the wheels).

4) blow dry with leaf blower to remove +95% of the water

I use all Zymol products, have done for years. As already said use lots of water for washing. I then rinse off with de-ionised water before drying and polishing. The work is well worth the results!

I agree with all of the above and one word of caution and that is be careful if you use any type of wheel cleaner/degreaser that is meant to disolve the brake dust residue. Some of the aftermarket product contain harmful ingredients (I think it is lye) and can do a lot of harm to the rotors, etc. While it costs more (and my car is still under warranty) I buy the wheel cleaner/ degreaser from the local Porsche parts department. Like Uwon, I am also an absolute nut about cleanliness (just ask my wife too) and I even clean the inside of my wheels/rims with a special spiral shaped brush I think I got from Autogeek.

Tony

Hey Tony, got you on the wheels. I use an old wash mit and literally half my arm is inside the wheel. By the way, I have given up on wheel cleaners. I put some maguiers car wash directly on the wet mit and go to it. It does not take the wax off as fast, IMO.

jl, I agree that Zymol are great products. Used to use them but then it became hard to get them in Canada so I moved on. I can't say enough about the Blackfire protectant as per my post above.

post-89070-0-64293900-1370742922_thumb.jHey Seahawkeye, are you out of your mind starting a thread like this? I've been washing Porsches for 30 some odd years and I think my method changes about every 30 seconds or so. And you guys thought driving in the rain was bad? :cursing:

Edited by Mijostyn

Whatsamatter White? Never been skiing? Nothing like doing donuts in a snowy parking lot after hours!

I'm with you. Just got a Stihl BG86 blower. Friggin tornado. Hit the wheels with Sonnax (smells like rotten eggs), blast em off with the pressure washer then the blower = perfectly clean dry wheels in 10 minutes. No brushes, mits, scrubbing, blisters or water spots and in case you didn't notice my wheels are black. By the way, check out the Ti lug bolts. Wheel jewelry by TiKore Industries.

Edited by Mijostyn
  • Upvote 1

Inspired by you guys I went on amazon and bought the following. How big a motor is necessary for the leaf blower? Walmart sells an electric 150 mph 7.5 amp motor lightweight handheld blower for $25--is this too weak?

Mijostyn when it snows do they salt/sand your roads and if so how often (and how) do you rinse the underside? They are notorious about using dirt/salt/sand on my roads but I still take my car out in the winter!

• [*]
41ZZJ88CHSL._SY100_.jpg The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra

• [*]
41kMlsopjrL._SY100_.jpg Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad
Sold by: Palm Beach Motoring Accessories
[*]41N5Wuqa0sL._SY100_.jpg Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant 16oz
[*]41SQ-4rNE8L._SY100_.jpg Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo 16oz

• [*]
31zXvabKVlL._SY100_.jpg The Original California Car Duster 20114 Dry Jelly Blade (Colors may vary)

• [*]
21ZyVQzVAML._SY100_.jpg 2 of Carrand 40309 Long Chenille Microfiber Wash Mitt
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
[*]41ZZJ88CHSL._SY100_.jpg The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra
Sold by: MrZAccessories Quality Accessories from A to Z ( seller profile )
[*]41HuGu7NziL._SX100_.jpg 2 of Grit Guard Wash Bucket Insert
Sold by: ToysNGamesEtc ( seller profile )
[*]416O%2BxR6H3L._SY100_.jpg Mothers Wheel Brush
[*]31lH7EHY6iL._SY100_.jpg Griot's Garage 15704 Micro Fiber Wheel Wand, (Pack of 2)
[*]41F9r2qHvBL._SY100_.jpg Sonax 230200-755 Wheel Cleaner

• [*]
31ZeS8dHpHL._SY100_.jpg 2 of 5 gallon plastic bucket with handle - Food Grade - BPA Free
Sold by: Dafna Automotive and Home Specialties ( seller profile )

Whatsamatter White? Never been skiing?

It was 1996. Ash Wednesday. Out for a jog before church. Got hit by a car. Hit & run. Year later had knee surgury. So, no, I've never been skiing. But I'll crosscountry ski. A little more controlled. :eek:

Inspired by you guys I went on amazon and bought the following. How big a motor is necessary for the leaf blower? Walmart sells an electric 150 mph 7.5 amp motor lightweight handheld blower for $25--is this too weak?

That will be just fine. I use a +15 year old Toro 850. Works fine. And have a good extension cord. Keep your receipt. If you don't like it, return it.

Edited by White987S

Gee Seahawkeye, you certainly went to town. The Guzzler is the best drying towel I have ever used. Have 4 of them. Sonnax makes a gel wheel cleaner I like better. I think it is called Extreme Effect or something like that. Good move on the wash bucket insert. They work great and you don't have to keep changing your water. You need a bunch of 16X16 extra plush Microfiber cloths. I have 10 each of three different colors so I can keep them sorted out. Each color has a different use. Why so many? Every time you drop the cloth, or side swipe a tire or just touch the ground the cloth is done for the day. Right into the "to be washed" tub. I keep all my cloths and towels in a large, COVERED tub ready for use. As for the blower, $25 is pretty cheap. The MPH rating is pretty worthless. It tells you nothing about what happens into a load. You can hear the RPMs rise as you start to cover the barrel and the power drops off. I had an Echo unit that I got from HD. I think it was $150 or so and It died into loads. I didn't know any better until the Echo itself died and I went for the Stihl BG86. These guys know what they are doing, BIG TIME. Their blower is lighter, better balanced and will rip your arm off. MADE IN AMERICA ;-} I am all over the car with the blower and do yard cleanup with it. It is also tops for blowing out your garage. Thus an electric cord would be a hindrance. I would go for the gas unit. Get your iPod, Etymotic HF5 isolating ear plugs and rock while you wash the car.

Now I'm going to get a snowball in the eye. Gods gift to car buffs is the pressure washer. I have heard all kinds of baloney about all the damage you can do. If you can damage anything on the exterior of your car with a pressure washer then you need a new car. In 30 years of pressure washing cars I have never (that I know of) damaged any cars from the lowliest Subaru to Bentleys. And I blow out the engine compartments after degreaser! No, I do not stick the nozzle directly into the alternator. After the rinse I immediately blow dry the motor. You never rub bugs away with anything! Two seconds with a pressure washer on well sealed paint and the bugs come right off. NO SCRATCHES. Pressure washing the course dirt away from your painted surfaces before sudsing is the single most important step in preventing swirl marks and scratches. The pressure washer also comes in extremely handy for stuff around your house. Just don't let your wife near it. I use a boar's hair brush to wash the car. Boar's hair is unique in that it stays stiff when it gets wet. The hairs get into all the little places nothing else can like the cracks around your tail ight lenses. I have one brush that is over 20 years old and going strong. After I'm done I just blast it off with the pressure washer.

Wow White. Sorry to hear about that. Knee surgery can be a bummer. I hate to tell you this but X-country skiing is harder than downhill. Long sticks stuck to feet is generally not good for knees.

Edited by Mijostyn

Seahawkeye, sorry I forgot to answer your question. Up here in New Hampshire they salt the roads whenever they think the temp is going below freezing even if the road is dry. This basically means the roads are salted from Thanksgiving to early April. Like any other chemical reaction the rusting process slows down as the temp drops. It is poison to heat your garage up here. Just makes the cars rust faster. So, keep a cold garage. I wash the car whenever the temp goes above freezing and is going to be there for 4-5 hours. If you wash the car in a below freezing environment some really strange things can happen. I had a friend who washed his car in 20 degree weather. Water got into the cracks around his tail light lenses which froze and expanded cracking the bottoms of both lenses in a perfectly symmetrical fashion. Looked like he did it on purpose. After washing I always blow all the water out of all the crevices with the leaf blower.

Also, if you don't want your hands to freeze use very warm water in the bucket. Power washing is a blessing. You get heavy build up in the wheel wells and the back of the car which the power washer makes short work of.

Now, WeatherTech floor mats, good snows, a roof top carrier and you be stylin.

Edited by Mijostyn

I like most of the Meguiars products. I drive my car every day. It's an '03. Most people think it is a brand new car when they see it (one thing I LOVE about Porsche... the average Joe Schmoe don't know my '03 from a '13).

I have built a whole kit for cleanining, so everything is on one place. Microfiber is the way to go, for everything. Separate wipes for the wheels and body... never the twain shall meet. Glass gets its own set too.

Order a couple packs of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161015261996?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Get a microfiber mitt, too. And a long wand with microfiber pad for the wheels.

I have a Lapis Blue 996... I love the color, but EVERY tiny smudge shows. I keep a bottle of spray wax in the trunk (hood?) and a few microfibers too. I like a clean car. I try to do a detailed wax with Meguiars NXT Generation every few months, but a spray wax every few days. And smudge wiping? About every time I get in/out of the car.

Great discussion everybody. I finally self-washed this weekend and it overall turned out pretty well. For the most part the products I used worked well but a few had issues here's my thoughts

Long Chenille Microfiber Wash Mitt

Worked well to wash but it ripped at the seam between the mitt and the elastic band. I think it's still usable though

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant 16oz

Not sure how much this added to my car. Does anyone have any other thoughts regarding sealant versus wax vs. protectant? I know there are some discussions already on other forums and Uwon gave some insight into this. How often should one do sealant vs. wax?

Didn't use the CA jelly blade but instead the supreme weave cobra guzzler which was good.

How many times can you wash microfiber towels?

Hey Seahawkeye, having fun yet?

Send the mit back and get a Boar's hair brush. Did I high sign you on the Guzzler?

Wax is for show cars. Paint sealer is for drivers. If you do it right the sealer will last over 6 months, wax about 6 weeks. Frankly, I think it is more like 6 days. None of us drive show cars or we would not be on this site!!

The earliest sealer I can remember is Liquid Glass. Tough stuff but a real pain on dark colors. Any moisture and it hazes up. Currently, I use Meguiar's Ultimate. You apply it to an absolutely dry, spotless car. Let it cure for 24 hours and apply it again. I park the car in the sun to cure it faster. 3 cycles gives you an amazing slick durable shine that lasts at least 6 months. I always do my car twice a year, before and after winter. All the polymer sealers work the same way, multiple coats build up. There is a new sealer on the market I'm going to try next called Rejex. Looks promising. I always go over the car with Meguiar's #34 before sealer. If you leave ANY water spots on the car you will seal them in.

You can wash your microfiber cloths till the cows come home. Just NEVER use fabric softener in the dryer. I always add Micro-Restore microfiber detergent to the wash. Car Care Specialties carries it. Stuff works GREAT!!!

I am not a big AutoGeeks fan. They sell a lot of junk on their site. Frankly, I am not impressed with any of their home brew stuff such as Wolfgang or Pinacle. Companies like Meguiar's, 3M and Sonnax have way more developmental horsepower and I think their products show it.

SPECIAL SECRET TAKE HOME MESSAGE. THE WORLDS ABSOLUTE BEST GLASS CLEANER. 1 PART DISTILLED WATER TO 3 PARTS 91% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL. Charge up your favorite sprayer and have at it. Pristine glass in a heartbeat and dirt cheap. (some of you older Porsche fans might recognize the smell of this stuff as the super secret Porsche glass cleaner sold in those stupid miniature black spray bottles for a rediculous price. Wendle strikes again.)

Edited by Mijostyn

I use the Zaino Product line and their detailing suggestions almost exclusively. I just clay barred my 986 yesterday and applied the first of three coats of wax. The first coat has an accelerant that provides a durable bottom base coat. I use Zaino's Z-5 wax for MY98. It is great for darker cars like mine and virtually eliminates swirl marks. I also use a california duster and Zaino's Gloss Enhancer Z-6 between washes. I use RaggTop to maintain the top.

PRESS HERE for Zaino product line and technical advice.

PRESS HERE for YouTube Video on RaggTop.

Edited by kbrandsma

You can wash your microfiber cloths till the cows come home. Just NEVER use fabric softener in the dryer. I always add Micro-Restore microfiber detergent to the wash. Car Care Specialties carries it. Stuff works GREAT!!!

I am not a big AutoGeeks fan. They sell a lot of junk on their site. Frankly, I am not impressed with any of their home brew stuff such as Wolfgang or Pinacle. It is all a marketing scam. Companies like Meguiar's, 3M and Sonnax have way more developmental horsepower and I think their products show it.

SPECIAL SECRET TAKE HOME MESSAGE. THE WORLDS ABSOLUTE BEST GLASS CLEANER. 1 PART DISTILLED WATER TO 3 PARTS 91% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL. Charge up your favorite sprayer and have at it. Pristine glass in a heartbeat and dirt cheap. (some of you older Porsche fans might recognize the smell of this stuff as the super secret Porsche glass cleaner sold in those stupid miniature black spray bottles for a rediculous price. Wendle strikes again.)

Good tips here!

In fact, never use any fabric sofener for any of your car cleaning cloths and rags. Especially window cleaning towels. Always best to have dedicated towels. Glass only. Tires only. Leather conditioner only. You get the picture.:)

I too make my own glass cleaner. Learned this trick from our Chicago Section Concours leader. I use 1 part denatured alcohol (buy at the hardware store in the paint department) to 2 parts distilled water.