Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Secondary Air Injection System Control CEL codes?

I have a 2005 Turbo and its's just thrown the following durametric codes:

Secondary Air Injection System Control A Circuit - Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and is not causing a DTC light

Secondary Air Injection System Control "B" Circuit - Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light

Secondary Air Injection System Control A Circuit - No signal/communication, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and causing a DTC light

Secondary Air Injection System Control "B" Circuit - No signal/communication, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light

I cannot find a reference to them in my repair manual, any idea what's causing this?

Thx, Stu

• Admin

Um... something is wrong here. You can not get a P0309 unless you grew a cylinder. All 300 codes identify which cylinder the fault occurred at - so with an 8 cylinder car you could get fault P0301 through P0308.

Best report a bug to Durametric and/or get the car read on a Porsche device.

• Upvote 1

Just checked both air pumps on the bench and they are working fine (no damaged fins).

Does anyone know when they are supposed to be running? I started up the car and immediately checked them, they were NOT spinning.

Thx, stu

PS, I cleared the fault and it came straight back, P0109 and P0309

As I recently learned, you cannot trust the fault codes being returned by the Durametric software. Make sure you have the most recent version (www.durametric.com/durametric6.3.2.3.exe ) of the software loaded, and if you stil are getting invalid (my case) or suspect codes, definitely contact Durametric tech support and make them aware of your specific situation. In my case, they were able to determine an error in a formula their software was using and let me know what the correct code was supposed to be. I know, not very confidence inspiring, but at least the Durametric software usually gets you pointed in the right direction.

• Moderators

As I recently learned, you cannot trust the fault codes being returned by the Durametric software. Make sure you have the most recent version (www.durametric.com/durametric6.3.2.3.exe ) of the software loaded, and if you stil are getting invalid (my case) or suspect codes, definitely contact Durametric tech support and make them aware of your specific situation. In my case, they were able to determine an error in a formula their software was using and let me know what the correct code was supposed to be. I know, not very confidence inspiring, but at least the Durametric software usually gets you pointed in the right direction.

To my knowledge, version 6.3.1.7 is the most current.

This was the link I was provided by Durametric for the beta of the next version (to address the code issue I was having). I see the link is no longer working; perhaps they will be formally releasing it soon. My original advice remains, don't always trust the codes shown by your Durametric - they may not be accurate.

Now the codes are:

P0418Secondary Air Injection System Control A Circuit - No signal/communication, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light

P2307Secondary Air Injection System Control "B" Circuit - Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light

P0419Secondary Air Injection System Control "B" Circuit - No signal/communication, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light

After a little investigation, I found that #11 fuse had blown (5A) and was causing the CEL.

Stu

• Admin

P0418 Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay Output Stage, Bank 1 - Open Circuit

P0419 Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay Output Stage, Bank 2 - Open Circuit

Possible cause of fault- Fuse F12 faulty- Power supply to relay faulty- Open circuit in control line from DME to secondary air injection pump relay bank 1- Secondary air injection pump relay, bank 1, faulty- DME control module faulty

• Upvote 1

The Secondary Air Injections (SAI) system only starts on a cold (or relatively cold) engine and runs for about 1 or 2 minutes to add extra air (almost 80% O2) to the relatively rich startup mixture to promote some afterburn and therefore a cleaner exhaust and the afterburn causes the primary Cats to come up to temp quicker. It is quite an elaborate system that only works for a few minutes a day but the EPA cycle starts from a cold start, even with that said they do use the SAI system worldwide by many manufacturers. If you can't hear a pitch difference or feel both of your SAI pumps running on startup on a cold start then something is causing them not to run. Could be a fluke of a bad or weak fuse, short, bad pump, etc... causing the fuse to blow.

I replaced fuse 12 (5A) and it blew again, I'm going to see what is on that circuit. At only 5A i'm sure its not running the pump....may be its the relay that operates the pump.

• 9 months later...

Hi Loren!!!!! As a first thing : thanks for your precious attention to my question; as a second one, sorry for the delay in answering!

Finally: my 997 GT2 is a 2009 version, produced in august-september 2008 and delivered new end sept. 2008.

Chassis wpozzz...9z....776116.

I live in Italy, so it's a RoW car.

Had this problem of relais falling down probably because after a recurring P2629 error , I had used contact cleaner on all the relay contacts.

Somewhere I read that P2629 error, (O2 sensor pumping current trim circuit/open bank 2 sensor 1), could occur for a Faulty secondary air Pump relay. Changed both lambdas and relay but still P2629.

Thanks again and compliments for your detailed answer to the most incredible questions!!!

• Admin

Hi Loren!!!!! As a first thing : thanks for your precious attention to my question; as a second one, sorry for the delay in answering!

Finally: my 997 GT2 is a 2009 version, produced in august-september 2008 and delivered new end sept. 2008.

Chassis wpozzz...9z....776116.

I live in Italy, so it's a RoW car.

Had this problem of relais falling down probably because after a recurring P2629 error , I had used contact cleaner on all the relay contacts.

Somewhere I read that P2629 error, (O2 sensor pumping current trim circuit/open bank 2 sensor 1), could occur for a Faulty secondary air Pump relay. Changed both lambdas and relay but still P2629.

Thanks again and compliments for your detailed answer to the most incredible questions!!!

(click to enlarge)

post-1-0-76339200-1396272441_thumb.png

Relay Support 2 - position 9 is the Secondary Air Relay.

Thanks Loren! So it's different from the 996 which uses position 10, as per this drawing that I got from one of your posts.

Not even at the local Porsche Center in Milan were they able to give me an answer!!

Many thanks again and keep up the great work you're doing!

Regards from Italy

Here's the drawing I did not attach before...

Support 2 996.PDF