Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag light advice requested

'99 996 Coupe I'm getting the code that indicates the problem is with the drivers side buckle. FWIW - the light isn't always on. It comes and goes.

Anyhow, I read over the TSB and it seems the Porsche fix is to install a wiring kit and replace the belt buckle.

I also read over many other threads on this subject on this site as well as Pelican and Rennlist and I see that some have some success cleaning up the buckle, but I'm not clear what they are actually cleaning up?

Then there is the ground issue - which it seem the kit addresses) - is it worthwhile soldering in a second or 3rd ground wire - I assume that would be at the plug under the seat.

If I have to I'll buy the parts kit and belt buckle, but I really don't want to fork out the cash unless I need to.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by steve20186

• Admin

The newer style buckles have gold contacts inside buckle.

On the old buckles you can sometimes clean the contacts and get them to work again (i.e. not throw a fault code). A temporary solution - inevitably you will need to replace the buckles and re-solder the ground wires to make the problem go away for good.

OK, I just checked, and the drivers side buckle has the more recent part number (996-803-183-09) on it so I suspect it's been "updated" at least once.

Do the newer style go bad too?

Is there a way to tell if the harness has already been update with the kit?

Here is a summary of the TSB that I wrote up for Boxsters a few years ago, translated into "more understandable" English :eek: !

When diagnosing Airbag Warning Lamp on and the fault codes are DTC 44, 45, 46, or 50 Drivers side and/or DTC 47, 48, 49, or 51 Passenger side, the faults may be caused by poor connection at pins B7 and B8 of plug connections X16 and X17. The wiring connections have been corrected as of VIN WPOCA2983WS620157 and the belt buckles as of VIN WPOCA298XWS620138.
The rest of it describes how to replace the wiring connections and belt buckles.
SUMMARY OF PROCEDURE TO RECTIFY AIRBAG LIGHT PROBLEM
The TSB is dated 6/99 and is TSB number 6924.
There is a "belt buckle service kit" which contains all the needed parts for the fix and that kit is part number 000 043 204 32.
If you are a contributing member on RennTech.org, you can access the TSB's.
When diagnosing Airbag Warning Lamp on and the fault codes are DTC 44, 45, 46, or 50 Drivers side and/or DTC 47, 48, 49, or 51 Passenger side, the faults may be caused by poor connection at pins B7 and B8 of plug connections X16 and X17. The wiring connections have been corrected as of VIN WPOCA2983WS620157 and the belt buckles as of VIN WPOCA298XWS620138.
The latest Porsche fix involves replacing both seat belt buckles, splicing and soldering in four leads with "gold plated and greased" contact springs and substituting them for four of the original contact springs in the 8-pin connector under the driver's (left) side seat (positions B5, B6, B7, & B8), doing the same but with only two contact springs on the 8-pin connector under the passenger's (right) side seat (positions B7 & B8), and then splicing and soldering beefier leads with cable lugs in place of thinner leads all leading to a ground point under each seat.
After that, you must substitute new plug caps on the the 8-pin connectors, which now include a tab that is used to securely fasten all of the wires exiting the 8-pin connectors with cable ties, and add cable ties to the female 8-pin connectors on the undersides of the seats and you are almost done.
Again, it's a straightforward job once you decipher the descriptions and language in the TSB, which is a special chore in itself.
Then you have to reset the airbag light with your Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS and that provides a "permanent" fix.
Not doing both seats (regardless of the specific codes) is just putting off the inevitable, IMHO.
Total cost was about $170, and, contrary to the TSB, no special Porsche tool needed (just an adapted $5 terminal extractor).
Regards, Maurice.

Thanks. Looking under my seats, it appears that this all has been done - there are a lot of cable ties in the places specified in the TSB. Also, both buckle part nos. match what I believe to be the latest part number. That said, there is a clip that is designed to hold the wire out of harms way as it goes from the buckle to under the seat. Neither side had the wire attached to the clip, so who knows, the wire could be bad now. I'll probably get under there and see if the terminals in the connector are gold.

My car has been to the dealer 3X's for this prior to me buying the car. Several months after I bought the car it was popping the same codes! I really have little confidence Porsche has a handle on this fix! It is frustrating as an owner to chase these fixes to no avail! I'm at the point I'm about ready to pull the bulb and let it ride.

My car has been to the dealer 3X's for this prior to me buying the car. Several months after I bought the car it was popping the same codes! I really have little confidence Porsche has a handle on this fix! It is frustrating as an owner to chase these fixes to no avail! I'm at the point I'm about ready to pull the bulb and let it ride.

I wonder if a better solution would be to just solder the offending wires together. If I understand it correctly, the buckle fastened is what the Airbag Control Unit uses to determine whether to fire the airbag. Why they would have that one on the drivers seat is a mystery since the driver would most likely be in the drivers seat during the collison <_<

• Admin

Sounds like they have done a poor job of diagnosing and fixing the problem. The TSB is clear (as clear as Porsche can be) as what needs to be done and what tests are to be preformed to verify the problem is solved.

Sounds like someone tried to just do the minimum. 99.9% of these problems can be solved by proper application of the work in the TSB.

Sounds like they have done a poor job of diagnosing and fixing the problem. The TSB is clear (as clear as Porsche can be) as what needs to be done and what tests are to be preformed to verify the problem is solved.Sounds like someone tried to just do the minimum. 99.9% of these problems can be solved by proper application of the work in the TSB.
I agree 100%! Like I said, this was done prior to my buying the car and is in the service records. Funny the same dealership worked the problem.

• 2 weeks later...