Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Greetings all and thanks in advance:

I'm in the midst of shopping for my first Porsche, and decided on the 997.1 as a budding enthusiast. Im looking to get a 2005-2008 Carrera, preferably the 3.8, but I wouldn't cry if I got the 3.6. It's not an "if" I get it, but "when".

First, I need help on pricing. I've completed detailed research on Edmunds, MotorTrend, NADA, Clearbook, and Kelley Blue Book, and eBay "completed sales " pricing, making certain to understand the differences in each (asking vs. final sales price, condition, etc.). If I'm offering cash, I figure its reasonable to get something with less than 50k miles for $35k out the door. If I get a warranty, tack 2 grand on that. Am i on planet Earth because all the pricing books say yes (Edmunds has Carrera at $32k and Carrera S at $34k), but dealer told me I was smoking crack when I said that. He said Porsche people always pay over (50k for Edmunds 35k car), because youre paying for the experience. I walked out after he said that, but want to double check. What did you all pay? Need some real life final sale prices if you don't mind sharing.

Second, I've seen posts on PPIs. How do I find an independent mechanic for this; extra helpful for DC area recs. What maintenance should I expect in the first year. I looked at the Porsche recommended intervals and used AutoMD for quotes. What is true cost for oil change, spark plugs, brake fluid, etc. I want to keep this car for 10+ years....not planning on reselling.

Third: I bought the 5th Ed. Batchelor and Leffingwell Porsche Buyers Guide and read the 996 & 997 sections. Anything else I should read?

Lastly, I'm running the VINs in AutoCheck (bought unlimited 30 day..so I can help others looking). One car on Autotrader (Beechwood Dealer) is a retired PDE with 25k miles. Stay away?

To see what I'm looking at, I search on all sites with these filters (year: 2005-2008, make/model: porsche 911, mileage: < 50k, price:<$45k, distance:any)

Linwoodc3@mac.com. I can email the price breakdowns I came up with...4 slide PDF.

MORE IMPORTANT : where should I drive when I get this ( road types)?

never ask a dealer opinions on pricing.

if you look at rennlist and 6speed etc you will prob see recent confirms of upper 30's to low 40's for a "S" and mid 30's for a base model. and especially with the mileage you are talking about (50k considered "high" among this crowd) you are def in the ballpark for a 2005-6 for 35k. the prices go up by year from there.

for PPI talk to intersport in tysons, autothority in chantilly, TPC in jessup, ASG in fairfax.

if you dont do "routine" maintenance yourself, it can get pricey. oil is anywhere from 200-350, sparks and coils from 500-1000, brakes probably a couple hundred. the oil and brakes are EASY. sparks more of a challenge but definitely doable. in any event, try to learn to do yourself and/or ask help from local boards (dorkiphus) as many are wrenchers and are happy to help. me included.

• Upvote 1

Hi Linwood,

The first thing to do if you want to make this a long term proposition is to find a car that lights your fire. Of the six 911s that I have owned two really sent the sparks flying. One of the two is my current car, an 06 speed yellow C4S with the Aerokit, black wheels and tinted windows. It is the only car I bought used. It had been sitting on my dealer's lot on consignment for 20 minutes before I happened along to get my Audi serviced. Mind, I had already put money down on the upcoming 991 Turbo (celebrating the last child graduating college) but, I HAD to have that car.

Next is the car has to get certified which means it has to be less than 8 years old and have less than 100,000 miles on it. I believe the certification itself is $2500. Then there is whatever has to be fixed/replaced. On my car this came out to $5100.00 which was added to the sales price. In the first year my car rang up..you ready, $12,000 in warranty repairs. A bad Homelink module, the right rear wheel bearing, moldy air conditioning, and a defective PCM which electrocuted a $4000 yellow instrument cluster grounding the car for a month. Now the car runs like a top and draws a crowd like no other car I have owned.

The real question is, how much is the car worth to you. If you do not love the car at first sight you will never be happy with it and it will never be worth what you paid for it. My point is that the value of the car is a moving target. I probably paid too much for my car and I would not have it any other way. Find that car, get it certified and enjoy. Just keep in mind that you can plan on spending $1000 per year on tires and about twice as much maintaining the car as any other.

Oh, and stick to Black, white, red, or YELLOW.

• Upvote 1

never ask a dealer opinions on pricing. if you look at rennlist and 6speed etc you will prob see recent confirms of upper 30's to low 40's for a "S" and mid 30's for a base model. and especially with the mileage you are talking about (50k considered "high" among this crowd) you are def in the ballpark for a 2005-6 for 35k. the prices go up by year from there. for PPI talk to intersport in tysons, autothority in chantilly, TPC in jessup, ASG in fairfax. if you dont do "routine" maintenance yourself, it can get pricey. oil is anywhere from 200-350, sparks and coils from 500-1000, brakes probably a couple hundred. the oil and brakes are EASY. sparks more of a challenge but definitely doable. in any event, try to learn to do yourself and/or ask help from local boards (dorkiphus) as many are wrenchers and are happy to help. me included.

Thanks for the response and recs. Where are the renntech confirms located so I can see prices?

Thanks for the response and recs. Where are the renntech confirms located so I can see prices?

not renntech...rennLIST forum or 6speed forum. i'm not really familiar with this site but i know the other 2 and there are frequent discussions of car values and purchases on both the 997 forums as well as the classified/for sale forums. do a search and i'm sure you'll turn up some recent info and pricing.