Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Identify a 3.6, 3.4, 3.2 in 99 Boxter HOW TO

Hello,I'm contemplating Acquiring a cherry 99 Box with supposedly a 3.6 with definitely a 6 speed trans. It doesn't seem absurdly fast (as I would think) and supposedly this is a a difficult transplant. I wonder how I could easily verify it in fact a 3.6L, not a 3 4 or less.Regards, PK

• Moderators

Hello,I'm contemplating Acquiring a cherry 99 Box with supposedly a 3.6 with definitely a 6 speed trans. It doesn't seem absurdly fast (as I would think) and supposedly this is a a difficult transplant. I wonder how I could easily verify it in fact a 3.6L, not a 3 4 or less.Regards, PK

One quick way to find the displacement is to located a shop equipped with a PG displacement test device (you thread a line into one cylinder spark plug and spin the motor over, the device measures the volume of air displaced by that cylinder, multiply by 6 and you have the displacement). Race engine shops and sanctioning bodies use these things to make sure race cars are within the displacement rules, so they are pretty accurate.

If it is not a factory engine -- and you don't have access to one of JFP's awesome setups....

Is there a micronometer that you can insert into the sparkplug then expand it out horizontally and measure the bore?

I don't remember the difference -- but it;s probably something like 100mm vs 102mm

Mike

• Moderators

If it is not a factory engine -- and you don't have access to one of JFP's awesome setups....

Is there a micronometer that you can insert into the sparkplug then expand it out horizontally and measure the bore?

I don't remember the difference -- but it;s probably something like 100mm vs 102mm

Mike

Not all the "awesome" or even rare, lists for about $1K. They are a common tool used by engine builders to check the displacement of engines that they are doing for racing classes where displacement volume is mandated and checked, and the same tool that is used by the sanctioning body like NHRA to make sure the engines on winning cars are correct:

citester.jpg

OK, heres what I'm bargaining for "The motor is a 2002 3.6 Variocam.WPOAA299X25623860" Am I getting the goods or is this a bored out something-or-other. Thanks much all,....Oh yeah ....HP??

PK

• Admin

OK, heres what I'm bargaining for "The motor is a 2002 3.6 Variocam.WPOAA299X25623860" Am I getting the goods or is this a bored out something-or-other. Thanks much all,....Oh yeah ....HP??

PK

That is not a valid VIN - so perhaps a transcribing error?

Also, you can not put a 2002 Variocam Plus motor in a MY1999 car without changing the DME, the fuel return system, among several other things.

I suggest this car needs further investigation.

Not a valid vin .....hmmm....

I assumed that came off the motor, Should it match a Carrera or something? I think the Guy did do a good deal of dme tweaking,.I know the shop well, I suppose I should check with them.

I guess my concern about displacement is that It's just not bored out with skinny cylinder walls. No good for me, I want to join the 150k club...fast.

Regards and thanks much,

PK

It seems pretty .... umm (breasts) . Oddly, my deceased Box had a vin that wasn't recognized by some P-car dealers, but thanks for the heads up, certainly worth confirming. Lots of food for thought.

Regards, Pk

Hello Loren, Todd etall,

If it is a true 3.6, it should be dropped a few inches as I understand. it were just a bored out 3.2 or 3.4 they probably wouldn't have bothered to change the manifold and drop the motor. Fair assessment?

Is a bored out motor, maybe with sleeves all bad?

Regards, PK

PS.ANy one have pics of what the "Variocam Plus " looks like. Is it obvious?

• Moderators

Hello Loren, Todd etall,

If it is a true 3.6, it should be dropped a few inches as I understand. it were just a bored out 3.2 or 3.4 they probably wouldn't have bothered to change the manifold and drop the motor. Fair assessment?

Is a bored out motor, maybe with sleeves all bad?

Regards, PK

PS.ANy one have pics of what the "Variocam Plus " looks like. Is it obvious?

The 3.6L engine is lowered in a Boxster due to the manifold height, you would not need to do that with a bored out engine because the manifold would not be as tall as the 3.6L unit.

Sorry these are the best pix I have handy

Here are the solenoids that control the vario-cams -- there are 2, one that manipulates the cam chain between the exhaust and intake

and the other manipulates the cams themselves hydraulically

post-34429-0-50927700-1374987603_thumb.j

More of an insitu picture

A little hard to see in this picture -- but you can see the two electrical connections amongst the coil paks.

post-34429-0-22376600-1374987760_thumb.j

Thanks much,

It looks like the intake manifold looks quite a bit different from the stock 2.5.Am I right? could a quick glance at the manifold give me a pretty good Idea weather I have the real thing.I have no reason to doubt this guy but he may be as naive as I am.

Any chance you have some photo editing software you could mark your 1st pic up with a couple of arrows?

All help is appreciated,

Regards PK

• Moderators

Thanks much,

It looks like the intake manifold looks quite a bit different from the stock 2.5.Am I right? could a quick glance at the manifold give me a pretty good Idea weather I have the real thing.I have no reason to doubt this guy but he may be as naive as I am.

Any chance you have some photo editing software you could mark your 1st pic up with a couple of arrows?

All help is appreciated,

Regards PK

The two dark protrusions in the cam cover along the line of the spark plug openings are the give away, a VarioCam system would have one, VarioCam Plus would have two (the second is for the variable valve lift function on the 3.6):

026b3a0b-68fd-4569-9e45-03a3e2372dde_zpsa83f016b.jpg

The 3.6 only appeared in the 996 style body, which has a taller engine compartment, so a taller manifold is not a problem; but on the Boxster, the engine cover would hit it, so you need to lower the engine slightly.

Beautiful, thank you.

I just want to replace my burned up super 2.5 with something durable and fast-ish.stock 200hp was cute, 275hp was perfect, 300+ would be lots of fun. I didn't feel the low end torque I was use to but I didn't push it. if This 3.6 is legit, I guess I'll just need to learn to drive it.

Regards, PK (originally from PA to)

post-6964-0-92375000-1375037317_thumb.jp

PK

That is not a valid VIN - so perhaps a transcribing error?

Also, you can not put a 2002 Variocam Plus motor in a MY1999 car without changing the DME, the fuel return system, among several other things.

I suggest this car needs further investigation.

Ok, here's some picks the seller sent me, do they mean anything as to weather this motor is a true factory 3.6L.All input is greatly appreciated.

Regards, PK

blfv.jpg

9myy.jpg