Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99 Boxster Multiple misfire Please Help!

Have ran up and down the forums here but cant find the solution to my issue. I am getting a misfire code on every cylinder along with a misfire code (emissions related) on every cylinder. Also getting a code for Timing chain out of position bank 2.

Now it happened all of a sudden and will start up and rev fine but it idles like crap. I have read about the actuators and solenoids going bad. I tested both solenoids and they both click when given 12 v and there is power getting to them so I don't believe its a wiring issue. Now I have a hard time believing that if the timing is out of whack that it would start and rev as good as it does. I also would suspect that if the actuator on bank 2 was bad I would only be getting misfires on that banks cylinders?

Trying to make sense of this all. I am new to Porsches and really don't feel comfortable messing with any timing issues on it, but anything else im sure I can manage.

It happened when the road was wet so maybe something burnt out? Absolutely lost on this one, any help would be great

Thanks in advance

• Moderators

Have ran up and down the forums here but cant find the solution to my issue. I am getting a misfire code on every cylinder along with a misfire code (emissions related) on every cylinder. Also getting a code for Timing chain out of position bank 2.

Now it happened all of a sudden and will start up and rev fine but it idles like crap. I have read about the actuators and solenoids going bad. I tested both solenoids and they both click when given 12 v and there is power getting to them so I don't believe its a wiring issue. Now I have a hard time believing that if the timing is out of whack that it would start and rev as good as it does. I also would suspect that if the actuator on bank 2 was bad I would only be getting misfires on that banks cylinders?

Trying to make sense of this all. I am new to Porsches and really don't feel comfortable messing with any timing issues on it, but anything else im sure I can manage.

It happened when the road was wet so maybe something burnt out? Absolutely lost on this one, any help would be great

Thanks in advance

While you did not state the actual codes, the one for the cam timing being out on bank 2 is worrisome. Please post your actual codes and the system used to obtain them (Durametric, PIWIS, PST II, OBD II scanner, etc.). The individual bank solenoids can be tested in place with the correct diagnostics tool.

codes are P0300, P0301, p0302 ,p0303,p0304,p0305,p0306 ,

P1319 Factory Fault Code 62 - Misfire, emission related
p1316

p1317

p1315
P1318 Factory Fault Code 55 - Misfire, cylinder 6, emission related

and code P1324 Timing Chain out of Position, Bank 2

that's the codes that its pulling using an obd11 scanner

sometimes it takes a little bit of running after clearing the codes for them all to come back but its not very drivable and puts at idle

• Moderators

P1324 is the big one here, that indicates that the intake cam on Bank 2 timing is below the lower limit, meaning the cam is out of time. One problem is that many "generic" OBD II scanners spit out ghost codes along with the real ones.

If the car was in my shop, I would run the cam deviations values (spec is +/- 6 degrees) to see where they really are. That requires the use of a PST II, PIWIS, or the Durametric diagnostic tools to accomplish. Either a cam position sensor has gone bad, or more likely one of the VarioCam components on that bank is on the way out. All of these systems can test the VarioCam components on the car as well.

Because you do not know if the problem is a major shift in cam timing or not, I would not be driving the car at all, and would suggest flat bedding it to a shop with the correct tools to do the diagnostics. If the cam really has moved beyond the lower limit, you could be only a few degrees away from piston to valve contact, which will be fatal.

• Moderators

Ok, not what I really wanted to hear but I appreciate the help. Now if it is the position sensor, I believe there are two on this car? if there are could I swap them to see if the code follows to the other bank?

What you need to do is have the car diagnosed on a Porsche specific system; swapping around the sensors is more effort than it is worth when you can plug in a computer and see how they are doing. Get the car checked.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, So update.

Took it to a local mechanic who has worked on the car before. I have a feeling that he is clueless and just wants to replace or rebuild the motor. Quoted me 5500,...the cars not even worth that to me honestly.

He says the timing chains all need to be replaced and reset, the piston rings need to be replaced because apparently after hes had it for a week, its smoking now???

He says either that or he can get a used motor with 74k and put it in for 5000.

I asked him about the variocam actuator which I have heard lots about when trying to diagnose, he said sounded like he didn't know what I was talking about and then said, yes, its fine. "Its", there are more than one and I know that, the way he said it made me think he was clueless. I asked him for timing deviation and he said it was 90 degrees on one side and I forget what he said on the other side. I could swear I have heard +6.-6 was regular so 90 sounds a little far off, I have a hard time believing that the car would even start without a piston going through the head. Any insight on his diagnosis? should I bite the bullet and pay to get it towed to another mechanic to diagnose and compare diagnosis?

Thanks for your help in advance

Edited by Porsche_Newbie

Agree with Loren. You need to find someone reputable with Porsche-specific experience...not a generalist. He doesn't know what Variocam is? I would not want someone that appears clueless even touching my car and especially not in a situation like this . Also, you said the engine is smoking now. Why in the !@#$ is he running the engine if the timing is off?

By the way, most insurance (at least in my state) will reimburse you fully for tows and it doesn't count against you in terms of increasing your premiums. Get this car moved over to someone that knows what they are doing. This is not a situation you want to horse around with.

• 4 months later...