Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Whats the best oil?

Guest newbie boxster

• 6 months later...

Without hesitation, Mobil 1 HIGH MILES. Its' blended thick, with the 10w-30 meeting the ACEA A3 spec, which all Euro mfg specs are based on. Usually it takes a 40 weight to meet this, This oil should be fine down into the teens F. Low volatility, so it won't burn off. Super high additive levels, more like a race oil. You'll see it conforms to the older API SL spec, which allows higher additive levels. Guys who like thick oil, there is a 10w-40....which is PLENTY thick for track use. High miles oils with esters to soothe old seals is the best feature to shoot for.

Myself, I use thin oils. Also, I don't bother with synthetics either. I've used Mobil Clean High Miles a few times, a mix of 5w-30 and 10w-40. MaxLife or any other Hi-Miles dino oil is fine, unless you have a turbo. Quaker State is actually quite a sleeper oil, with tons of moly. Kendall now used a titanium additive, so does Castrol in the Edge line. There really isn't any way to go wrong unless you use thick oil in winter or thin oil in summer, or simply use it for too long. Most of my cars, I do 2x a year, and tweek the visc. Honestly, tracking a car, it's unpossible to improve on $2 15w-40 HD diesel oil. Rotella 10w-30 HD is also available now at WalMart, as a semi-synth that's blended thick.

Heck, I love lube tech and look to tweek my choices, but super-high-tech oil is just not needed in 99% of engine/driver scenarios. Pennzoil, QS, Havoline 10w-40 is ALL a flat 6 will ever need, until it gets below freezing. My confession is that last winter I put in a mix of all different leftover oils, since I drive it a few times in the cold....I still have it in and do not plan on changing it, at all...until late Fall. It would be a pointless waste. I would likely go with QS "Defy" hi miles oil, as QS is really an impressive SOPUS product. Could I use M1 HM, sure....SHOULD I..? It just doesn't matter. Looking over the newest and best product, sure, the Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra with Gas-to-Liquid base oil is an amazing product, but only comes in light 30 and 20 weights. I;d just assume use the other Shell oil I mentioned, the Rotella 10w-30.

If you want to hunt down the Kendall Titanium (Conoco) in 10w-40, great...that may be the best product for the flat 6. iirc, AutoZone carries it. FORGET Euro boutique oils, they offer nothing special. Surprise, good ol USA has the best oils at the best price. Mobil 1 High Miles, MaxLife Synthetic (a thick 30 as well), German Syntec 0w-30, Kendall Ti 10w-40...there you go. Otherwise, name-brand dino is all ya need.

-Audi Junkie

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/Markets/EngineOilAdditives/100132RPtool2012Deploy/rp/pc/index.html

Edited by R Clark Stewart