Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2001 C4 18" Rims Stumped on Winter Tire Options

So I have read a lot of posts on winter tires but can't find what I need and a stumped. I plan on using my car as a daily driver 1 hour each to work and back all winter in Boston - just got it 4 months ago. I have Falken Ziex 912 a/s 18" on 225/40 18 fronts and 265/35 18 on rears. I have a Jeep if its deep snow, but want to have confidence in 2-3" if needed.

I have concluded from reading that the A/S that I have are not that great in cold weather dry or in the snow (or maybe anything) from what I have read - no winter experience yet. I think I need true winter tires to deal with snow days and Porsche recommended winter tires are only the Pirelli Snow Sport 240s or Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. The dealer could not find any Porsche approved snow tires for my car. period.

They were stumped, but I am not confident that they really know their stuff.

I was going to get new rims - same size just to be safe that I am not going to get new issues going to new rim sizes and I like 18s (but would do 17 if needed), but now I can't find the Dunlops or Pirrellis ANYWHere in my sizes, not Tirerack, not anywhere. So Question 1: should I just be going for the 17" rims even if I had the choice of 17 or 18 because 17s are better for snow tires?

Question 2: Either way If I can't find these even in 17" 225/40 and 235/65 (which I can't do far on tire rack), does anyone recommend another performance winter tire that as a first priority can handle snow and cold dry, and secondly handles as well as can be expected? many happy thanks givings in advance

ps I just learned that the oem rims were 17s and that they recommended 7 jx17 h2 rims with 55 offset and 205/50 R 17 89 T in front and 8.5 j x17 w 50 offset with 225/45 R 90 T in rear for winter tires - thanks,

Edited by PorscheServiceThen529Plan

I run the Dunlop Winter Sports on 17 inch rims on my 2001 C4 Coupe. Porsche recommended sizes. Work great in cold, snow and ice. Not for the track, of course. So you won't find any N rated snow tires. Also, it looks like Tirerack is out of stock on both the Blizzaks and the Winter Sports.

Edited by 1dmurrray

I am also looking for snows for my 99 C4. Tire rack had a few choices for the 18 inch rims but now every one is sold out. The local guys can't find any either.

For the 17's the only winter tires in the sizes needed are Falkens. I could only find them on ebay.

I guess the car is going to sit this winter and next year I will start the hunt earlier.

I don't think that 17 or 18 makes a difference except the 17's are not as wide and therefore should be better in the snow.

Go 17" with the Porsche recommended tire width. Narrow is the way to go in winter driving.

You will find your PCar a very capable machine in snow having the weight over its powered wheels. Mind your power in curves though so the back does not swing on you.

I bought my 1-yr old, used set last yr from a Rennlister incl. wheels (std Boxster issued) and tires (Dunlop) for $1000. It might be late for this year though to get any kinds of deal, unfortunately for you. it was coming off a C4.

Good luck!

I bought the Falkens in the 17" Porsche sizes and Discount Tire Direct shipped them free, with no tax, and I got a $50 discount on them for a total of $525. The front and rear tires are different model numbers and I was concerned, but Patrick Byron was able to walk me through the differences and assured me that the compounds, and tread wear are the same.

According to their website, they have a number of sets left in the 17" sizes.

I copied Patrick's email from the confirmation email he sent today.

Patrick.Byron@discounttire.com

Enjoy your winter driving!

Scott Doty

So I have read a lot of posts on winter tires but can't find what I need and a stumped. I plan on using my car as a daily driver 1 hour each to work and back all winter in Boston - just got it 4 months ago. I have Falken Ziex 912 a/s 18" on 225/40 18 fronts and 265/35 18 on rears. I have a Jeep if its deep snow, but want to have confidence in 2-3" if needed.

I have concluded from reading that the A/S that I have are not that great in cold weather dry or in the snow (or maybe anything) from what I have read - no winter experience yet. I think I need true winter tires to deal with snow days and Porsche recommended winter tires are only the Pirelli Snow Sport 240s or Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. The dealer could not find any Porsche approved snow tires for my car. period.

They were stumped, but I am not confident that they really know their stuff.

I was going to get new rims - same size just to be safe that I am not going to get new issues going to new rim sizes and I like 18s (but would do 17 if needed), but now I can't find the Dunlops or Pirrellis ANYWHere in my sizes, not Tirerack, not anywhere. So Question 1: should I just be going for the 17" rims even if I had the choice of 17 or 18 because 17s are better for snow tires?

Question 2: Either way If I can't find these even in 17" 225/40 and 235/65 (which I can't do far on tire rack), does anyone recommend another performance winter tire that as a first priority can handle snow and cold dry, and secondly handles as well as can be expected? many happy thanks givings in advance

ps I just learned that the oem rims were 17s and that they recommended 7 jx17 h2 rims with 55 offset and 205/50 R 17 89 T in front and 8.5 j x17 w 50 offset with 225/45 R 90 T in rear for winter tires - thanks,

Hi,

I live in Metrowest, work in Boston and do the commute on Mass Pike every day - rain, sun, snow.

Makes the commute really worthwhile - listening to the engine.

Anyway - you don't need to buy N rated Porsche snow tires. ANY snow tire of the right size will do.

I went with Vredestein Wintertrac Xtreme for my dedicated winter setup with 18" wheels. It takes me 30 mins to do a switch over in my driveway.

I went to my local Direct Tire - and they price matched internet pricing for the Vredestein - but again - ANY WINTER TIRE that's the correct size will get you to the office and home on our roads. You're really splitting hairs in terms of performance between different tires.

For 2001 C4:

18" Recommended Front:225/40-18
18" Recommended Rear:265/35-18

post-49722-0-75313500-1386006458_thumb.j

Edited by roadsession

I purchased Blizzaks LM 60 for 18 inch wheels in the same sizes. I believe TireRack is closing these out for under 700 a set. They are fine in light snow, but not very good on real ice in my experience (i.e., I had no traction on ice).

Road Session, Problems Solved!! I am all set with an install appt for the Vredsteins at Direct Tire. That was a spectacular steer - MANY THANKS!!! Best part is they do free changeovers so I don't need to buy a second set of rims - so thats a $1k+ save to boot. PS I Don't get the bikini chick in a snow tire ad either, but I approve nonetheless.

Road Session, Problems Solved!! I am all set with an install appt for the Vredsteins at Direct Tire. That was a spectacular steer - MANY THANKS!!! Best part is they do free changeovers so I don't need to buy a second set of rims - so thats a $1k+ save to boot. PS I Don't get the bikini chick in a snow tire ad either, but I approve nonetheless.

Awesome news! Enjoy the best performing, most stylish ride on the Turnpike and 93 this winter! You'll get plenty of stares from commuters wondering what a Porsche is doing on the winter streets because the general public thinks it's some sort of exotic summer weekend car only.

BTW: I have found adding some weight in the front trunk helps with steering in heavy snow/ice conditions.

Because all the weight of the car is in the rear, the front tends to be too light sometimes to bite down...

Edited by roadsession

Good decision on the Vrdensteins, I had the Wintrac Extremes installed on Monday in 17" OEM sizes and couldn't be happier. Oddly enough these are one of two Porsche recommended snow tires in 17" sizes but not 18". I had a terrible time finding a matched set of winter tires in OEM sizes, the few that are made were out of stock including Discount Tire. I ended up finding them at Waukegan Tire in IL and had them shipped to me in KS, they were actually cheaper than Discount Tire. I believe they have a few more sets if anyone else is in need.

Hey 529plan, I live right up the road from you in Southern NH. The Vredersteins are the nuts. I wish they made them in my size.

The car will do fine in the Winter with two caveats. If the rear starts to slide add a little gas and the front will dig right in and bring you around. Do not drive the car in heavy slush. You might as well be on water skis. Otherwise you are good to go. I take my car skiing.

It is never a good idea to continuously swap tires on rims. You risk damaging the bead which can result in a catastrophic tire failure. Save up over the Winter and get a new set of rims in the Spring for your Summer tires. OZ rims are easily the best for the money.

Edited by Mijostyn

I run the Dunlop Winter Sports on 17 inch rims on my 2001 C4 Coupe. Porsche recommended sizes. Work great in cold, snow and ice. Not for the track, of course. So you won't find any N rated snow tires. Also, it looks like Tirerack is out of stock on both the Blizzaks and the Winter Sports.

This is not entirely true. I purchased Pirelli Snowsport 240's from Tire Rack that are N3 tires

This is not entirely true. I purchased Pirelli Snowsport 240's from Tire Rack that are N3 tires

I stand corrected. I hadn't seen them before.

Thanks to all for the input. Got the Vredestein Wintrac Extremes 225/40 18 265/35 18 today. Very pleased with dry handling and can't wait for some snow. Tried peeling out on wet pavement within the first 10 miles just to test traction and it held way better than I would have thought, especially given some of what I have read about them needing a 100 mile break in. Only bad news is that they said I have badly bent rims, but they don't seem too bad to me. A little vibration over 80, but I don't have $600 worth of motivation to get the rims straightened. at least not yet.

Thanks to all for the input. Got the Vredestein Wintrac Extremes 225/40 18 265/35 18 today. Very pleased with dry handling and can't wait for some snow. Tried peeling out on wet pavement within the first 10 miles just to test traction and it held way better than I would have thought, especially given some of what I have read about them needing a 100 mile break in. Only bad news is that they said I have badly bent rims, but they don't seem too bad to me. A little vibration over 80, but I don't have $600 worth of motivation to get the rims straightened. at least not yet.

Just monitor air pressure regularly to ensure there's no leakage from the bent sections