Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

I have never driven a car with PDCC. Is it worth 2 large? How complex is it in the 991 series? Any one know how it works? Will it be a maintenance problem as the car ages?

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) uses active anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles to significantly reduce lateral body movement during cornering maneuvers. PDCC reads the current steering angle and lateral acceleration forces, and responds by producing a stabilizing counterforce that precisely negates any swaying force acting on the body. The result is optimal traction and occupant comfort in both on and off-road use.

As with any technology that employs multiple sensors and active mechanical devices, there is an increased chance of component failure with accrued mileage. Most people seem to like it because it uncouples the sway bars when you are just cruising down the highway, resulting in a better overall ride, but instantly brings them back online when they are needed for crisp handling. This option is very highly regarded by Cayenne owners in conjunction with the optional air suspension featuring PASM.

Complexity is always an issue for me. More stuff to break. But, the decoupling routine and ride improvement are compelling. I have a month to make up my mind. My dealer has a 991 Turbo S on the floor. I may go up there in jeans and have a look under. Too bad I can't drive it. The roads are all salted up here now. Life in the rust belt.

Edited by Mijostyn

I did NOT order this option for my (Jan. 2014 allocation build) custom C2S Cab order. Besides this, and the Burmester audio system, I selected just about all the other other major options, including the $18K PowerKit option. I just figured the new 991 chassis was already going to be so much better than what I was used to (993 Turbo on PSS9's and a 987S) that I really didn't need it, and I needed to stop checking boxes on my order, since I was already at $149K.

I do not track or auto cross my cars. That might change your requirements, if you do.

I hear great things about the PDCC from several members over on Rennlist. PDCC is also suppose to help extend the wear life on tires (maybe one of the biggest unspoken advantages of the system) but I have no regrets or buyers remorse.

Maybe another way to go, on a 991 or 991S (not sure about the Turbo, if this is offered) is select the Sport Suspension (SPASM- Sport Porsche Active Suspension Management). This lowers the car another 10mm, and is a stiffer suspension set-up. Look into that, too.

Edited by White987S

Thanx for your input White. I don't track my cars although I do run a certain Autocross course on occasion, I'll use my manual 997 C4S for that. The Turbo will be a pampered car until it is payed off. No more than 2000 miles yearly. Actually, I've not much choice now as far as PDCC is concerned. My salesperson just informed me today that he was not allotted a Turbo for April but another Turbo S. He had a deal to swap allotments with another dealer but that fell through. He is unlikely to get another turbocharged car this year. Crap, you only live once. All Turbo S cars have PASM. My C4S has the sport chrono option which includes PASM and it is the nuts. Nice and casual around town or race car mean in the twisties. Have it your way. I'm not sure how much lower than the regular cars the Turbo S is but it sure is a lot wider. In a low front quarter picture those hips look huge. Even better, Porsche has made the LED headlights available in black. These are way cool on a guards red car. So to celebrate bankruptcy I purchased black "PORSCHE" letters for the back, a guards red PORSCHE windshield decal for the front and clear side marker lights. I'm thinking about making black stone guards for the hips. Not quite sure if they will look right as they have to dodge around the intercooler intake holes. As for whether or not the PDCC decreases tire wear? The car comes with P Zeros. The last Pirellis I ran were awful. These will come off ASAP and Michelin Super Sports will go on. I have these on the C4S. So I will be able to make a rough comparison. Most importantly, and most of you will find this hard to believe, but, when I swapped over to snows I had just under 9/32" left on the rear Super Sports. Which means I lost just over 1/32 in 4100 miles. It appears that I am going to get somewhere around 20,000 miles on the rear tires which for me is absolutely unheard of.

All around these are fabulous tires. Great ride, unbelievable wet traction and perfectly controlled 4 wheel slides. They are less expensive than PS2s and last twice as long. I have no idea why they are not N rated. Anyway, After I get 2000 miles (end of next Summer) on the Turbo S I should be able to tell which car wears the tires out faster.

Porsche has made the LED headlights available in black.

Really? Are you sure? Is this a Turbo LED option thingy, or for all the new 2014 991's?

I have LED's in my January 2014 build, and would love them to be black. But I thought this "black" option was only available with the standard xenon lights.

Let me know.

Thanks!!

I'm afraid not. I went up to the dealer yestersday and discovered that my guy misinterpreted the update. The LED lights will now be available in the other 991 cars but not in black. Black litronic lights will be available in the Turbo cars. So, I will be getting the Black Litronics. The car's asthetics are more important to me than the newest technology in lights. My dealer has a guards red Boxter with the black lights and the effect is stunning...at least to me.

If the car does not make you smile every time you see it then it is not worth the money. The LED lights are very nice. The daylight lights are very cool. I'm sure they will offer them in black eventually but probably too late for us. I could leave the LED lights in the car banking on them putting out black ones then replace the lights when the black ones are released but that would be a very expensive gamble. I can live just fine with the Litronics. I have a little over a month to sort it out. If you have a January build I believe you are now locked in.

Isn't this fun?? What are you getting White? Give us the specs!!!

What are you getting White? Give us the specs!!!

A 2014 C2S Cab, white/grey/black, PowerKit, LED's, PSE, Manual Transmission, Sport Techno rims, full leather, model delete designation, some interior stuff (no carbon fiber). No PDCC nor Burmester, no PDK. Should have it by late March. I placed a deposit on build allocation back on Sept. 3rd. I'll do a few things when it arrives at dealership (clear corners up front, Bumperplug rear reflector covers in body match white paint, front sport spoiler lip, and ceramic powercoat (black) exhaust tips). Tips will be sent out to a powercoater in Detroit. About a week turn-around time.

Edited by White987S

VERY nice. It is funny how we all have different requirements. The seven speed is great. I drove one and had a blast. If they offered it in the Turbo I would have gone that way. I suppose I'll get use to the PDK. Rough life ain't it? I agree with no PDCC. A friend with experience says the base car handles fine and that you would only notice the PDCC on the track. With the power kit that is one expensive car! Go to suncoastparts.com and get the clear side marker lights, a must on a white car. Then go to tikore.com and get a set of Ti lug bolts. These are gorgeous and will stay so forever. I have the one piece bolts which are $100 less expensive and perfectly fine as long as you keep them clean. Don't forget to use antisieze. I torque them to 100 ftlb.

Don't forget to post a picture when you get it!!

Then go to tikore.com and get a set of Ti lug bolts. These are gorgeous and will stay so forever. I have the one piece bolts which are $100 less expensive and perfectly fine as long as you keep them clean. Don't forget to use antisieze. I torque them to 100 ftlb.

I've lusted over them for a couple years now. I may do it this time for the new 991. They do look great. Torque spec on the 991 series is now 118 ft.lbs. Porsche bumped it up from 96 ft.lbs. I think because of the 20 inch rims.

• Admin

Then go to tikore.com and get a set of Ti lug bolts. These are gorgeous and will stay so forever. I have the one piece bolts which are $100 less expensive and perfectly fine as long as you keep them clean. Don't forget to use antisieze. I torque them to 100 ftlb.

I've lusted over them for a couple years now. I may do it this time for the new 991. They do look great. Torque spec on the 991 series is now 118 ft.lbs. Porsche bumped it up from 96 ft.lbs. I think because of the 20 inch rims.

More likely the newer wheels are more steel (e.g. Cayenne) than alloy.

Yes, I know about that torque spec but with the Ti lug bolts my brain feels better with 100 ftlb. I have had them on for over a year without any problems. I see no evidence of corrosion on the wheel or in the hubs. I use antiseize on the threads only every time I mount them up.