Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 TT minor oil/coolant leak

Hmmm, I seem to have developed a very light oil leak at the end of the central aerodynamic undertray before the cross stay bar which I guess is rather from the transmission rather than the engine ? (its a Tip). In fact the solution is very watery maybe its coolant ??

• Moderators

Hmmm, I seem to have developed a very light oil leak at the end of the central aerodynamic undertray before the cross stay bar which I guess is rather from the transmission rather than the engine ? (its a Tip). In fact the solution is very watery maybe its coolant ??

Because of the way fluids travel along various things under these cars, including the under tray, it is almost impossible to say where the leak is without putting the car up in the air and pulling the trays off for a good look.

Pentosin, Take a look at your clutch reservoir in front under the hood. May be it is overfilled . If it is your slave is at fault. If the leak comes from the middle of the car it can also be the slave or the accumulator that is becoming loose on the slave…Saw both cases ….

Edited by jpflip

• Moderators

Does a Tip have a front Clutch reservoir ? strange thing is that my Pentosin is low enough to justify its this and it feels like it but doesn't smell like it, its neutral whilst pentosin has a particular pungent smell

There is no clutch reservoir on a Tip equipped car.

So it is the Tip transmission gaskets, fortunately one can now buy them here
http://www.importperformancetrans.co...-set-5414.html
however my independent mechanic only wants to change the first larger one as that is a lot less complicated and where all the oil seems to be coming from, I will add the 997 transmission mount any thoughts on not doing both gaskets ?

• Moderators

So what exactly is the point of this forum ??

The point of this forum is to provide a venue for the exchange as accurate Porsche technical information as possible, while also maintaining a very high level of decorum. That said, not all problems are common ones, and in some cases many not be encountered frequently, if at all. I fix these cars for a living, and I would be the last person to claim I have seen or repaired everything possible. "Some new problem" is a fairly common occurrence in the world of Porsches, and as such, you sometimes have to be patient waiting for a response to your question. If someone has experienced your specific issue, you will find an in-depth response here; that is what the exchange of information is all about.

Unfortunately, it is not always possible to provide either a quick or correct answer when insufficient information is available, as it is in your case. We have not physically seen the car, your mechanic has; and is therefore in a superior position in terms of having a better idea what is needed when it comes to the gaskets. As for the mount, that would depend upon the condition of the one in the car; if it looks like it needs help, it would be a good time to replace it. The number you posted is supposed to be the superseded part.

What I am trying to establish is just how much more labor/complexity is involved in replacing the smaller gasket (2) as this is the one which usually leaks. My Mechanic is refusing to do this without taking the engine out

vs replacing the larger Gasket gasket (1) which my mechanic is happy to do with the engine in situ

post-1653-0-81679300-1389805507.jpg

• Admin

Not sure what you are looking for from us here?

I can not tell you the Porsche book time (time to repair) or complexity because it is not listed. Even Porsche sends some problems out to specialize shops - in this case a transmission shop.

It looks to me like your choices are get the re-manufactured gaskets (and hope they fix the leak) or replace the transmission or sell the car.