Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Refitting 996 front bumper issue - any ideas?

Hi guys

I'm trying to refit my 996 front bumper.

I start at one corner, screw it in (behind the indicator) no problem. Then the bit between the headlights lines up and screws in no problem.

However when I get to the far corner, it won't line up with the screw holes. Almost as if I can't get it to wrap around the body tight enough. Any ideas?

theyre a pain to do by yourself. if you can , try to start the fit in the center. those 4 screw points should hold its positions so the gaps at headlights etc are correct looking. Id then check to see if both wheel wells line up. and finally do the underneath points.

hope this helps.

I presume you are cleaning the radiators, etc. if you have the headlight washer, good time to check connectors and hoses. AND make sure to route the hood latch wire so that it pops out just under the right headlight unit. if you should ever need to use it, you'll appreciate this tip :-)

I pulled my front as well by myself and had the same problem. the gap at the hood/lights is just a tad larger then it was. I started in the center, did the wheel wells and then the bottom screws. All of mine lined up though. I'm going to pull it again when I can get someone to help by forcing it while I attach the top screws to try and get that reveal back where it should be.

• Admin

IMHO - this is a job for one person and a helper.

One person holds the bumper at it's proper position - while the other tightens the screws moderately.

Make any final adjustments and then fully tighten them down.

AND the bumper needs to be even with the front hood if the hood sticks up higher - you will get obnoxious wind noise.

It's right about one person and a helper. One thing to watch out for is the fitting under the headlights where there is a plastic piece. If you get the cowl on the wrong side of this it sticks out.

Also watch out for the emergency release wire and make sure it is working and its route is free. There are a number of options for this and it can be extended with some nylon cord to a known location behind the wheel shroud or to a point behind the pop out indicator light.