Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Unknown stalling problem at idle on my 02 C4S

I have searched many forums regarding this issue. I have this problem when the engine is fully heated up it will stall at idle (mostly at stop lights). I have already replaced the MAF sensor and a new egas throttle body but this problem still exists. My garage already checked that there's no vaccum leaks. Is there anything that i might missed?? I heard some ppl say that the ICV (idle control valve) might be bad...

thanks!!!

Edited by Gary S K Lee

• Admin

:welcome:

Your car does not have an ICV. Your car is eGas so it has a sensor instead.

I would start by reading the codes with Durametric, a Porsche PST2, or Porsche PIWIS tester.

This should tell you if you have one or fault codes. The fault codes are the key to diagnosing and repairing or replacing the right parts.

Since your car is egas, it doesn't have an ICV. Also, unlikely it's the ignition switch since it relates to engine temp. I think the first step is to get it scanned with a Porsche scanner such as Durametric for any error codes.

i just finished reading this topic about stalling and it has the exact problem as mine. http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/30839-car-does-not-start-easily-after-stalling/?hl=%2B996+%2Bstalling

could it be a melted down starter cable or a bad battery?? my battery reads slightly above 12volts in ignition switch position 2 and when running it reads slightly below 14volts is that normal?? im so glad i found the exact problem with another C4S.

Your voltage reading sounds fine. Yes, if that cable is corroded, you will have a hard time cranking when hot (even with a healthy battery). However, it's not clear to me how a corroded cable makes the car stall at idle though, which seems to be your problem. When you crank the car after stalling, do you feel the starter is struggling (turning slowly) or the engine is spinning at normal speed but it just won't fire up?

The starter cable is behind the alternator. It's a lot of labor to change out since you need to remove the alternator and the a/c compressor, the throttle body, and the T rubber intake plenum.

Edited by Ahsai

i just read another post mentioning replacing the air filter with k&n might cause the problem??

Do you have stock intake and filter? The oil from K&n filter can ruine the MAF. Aftermarket intake does not work well with the MAF, which is calibrated with the stock intake.

If you suspect electrical issues, should also check the ground cable between the engine and the chassis on right side of the engine (hope it's the same in your RHD). Also, a bad crank sensor can also cause hard start with warm engine. However, it should not cause the engine to stall by itself. Again, it's difficult without scanning the car for more clues.

Btw, should also check if coolant temp sensor is giving correct reading.

Edited by Ahsai