Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 sockets to take under a 997

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying new tools and i'm discovering that it gets really expensive if I buy the entire line of sockets from 6mm to say 22mm.

So my question to everyone is what sockets do you take under a 997 when working on the car?

I would guess:

1/4"

1. 8 mm
  2. 10
  3. 12

3/8"

1. 10 mm
  2. 12
  3. 15
  4. 17

1/2"

1. 15 mm
  2. 17
  3. 19

I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with buying a socket set (ratchet, extensions, partial sockets) vs. ratchet and complete sockets vs. socket set + individual sockets...

Of course I left out Torx, Allen heads, XZN...

Any feedback is appreciated.

I'm thinking of going completely German with Hazet and Stahlwille which is what they use at the Porsche factory.

Ok, I misread your intention the other way since you mentioned "expensive" :)

German tools are interesting. One of their designs that intrigues me is a torque wrench with interchangeable "heads" such as box wrench end, crowfoot wrench, etc. I dont think we have an equvalent here in the US.

For socket sizes, 3/8" drive 13mm and 16mm should be quite useful in general. You plan to get German ratchets as well?

I gave up looking for a good metric-only socket set (at least in Canada) and ended up buying a full set and then using socket rails to organize the metric sockets. It was cheaper to buy a full set and discard the standard sockets than it was to piece together what I wanted.

That way you only bring the appropriate rail (ie 1/4" vs 3/8") under the car depending on the job and all of the sockets are with them. The bigger challenge is storing various extension sizes and a few universal joints since they usually come in handy.

I personally like using 1/4" drive whenever possible due to the shorter ratchet and the fact that I just bought a 1/4" torque wrench for doing my water pump. The shorter wrench makes it much less likely to over-torque as long as it is enough to remove the bolts in the first place. For 1/4" I would probably include 11 and 13mm as well but I don't remember which I've actually used.

For 1/2" you may want to include a 24mm since I believe that is the size of the idler pully bolt needed to remove the belt.

Although if anyone has of a full list of the bolt sizes on the car it would be really useful.

I want to get a metric only tool set with storage box to keep in my frunk. So far I've only found

Britool http://www.powertoolsdirect.com/britool-socket-accessory-set-of-98-metric-1-4-1-2in-drive

Williams tools http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/williams-50622-1438-drive-socket-screwdriver-wrench-89pc-p-8089.html

Britool seems to be made in Taiwan (which is better than China for sure but not as good as "Made in USA").

Willams tools is supposed to be made in USA but I suspect for the price and pieces (many) you get, they could be made in Taiwan too. Probably the same source as Blupoint (their boxes and prices look very similar), which is made in Taiwan as well. This set is quite nice especially for people who just started to build up the tools.