Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Least expensive way to get a spare key

Came to find out that my significant other lost the second key to the 1997 boxster.....

I am seeking advice on some ways to get a second key with just basic functionality as in opening the door lock and starting the car.

I checked with the local stealership, and was told ~$500 for key and integral FOB.

So what are some cheaper alternatives?

Thanks, and best regards,

J

Edited by boxster_nut

• Moderators

Came to find out that my significant other lost the second key to the 1997 boxster.....

I am seeking advice on some ways to get a second key with just basic functionality as in opening the door lock and starting the car.

I checked with the local stealership, and was told ~$500 for key and integral FOB.

J

The problem is a simple one, you need a key that the car's security system recognizes, which means using a PST II or PIWIS to accomplish. The key is going to set you back over $100 alone, cutting it and coding the car to accept it is all labor.

I see Pelican has the blanks and the Carrera GT 2-button head. Total cost is around $196. This is without any programming. Not sure what the dealer would charge just for the programming. $500 seems outrageous for a programmed key. Must be another way...

J

The problem is a simple one, you need a key that the car's security system recognizes, which means using a PST II or PIWIS to

accomplish. The key is going to set you back over $100 alone, cutting it and coding the car to accept it is all labor.

Right, I understand this. Knowing this helps me how?

More specifically, where can I get a key other than dealership? And what details should I look for in securing a key?

Who can cut and program it besides a dealer? Indies?

Thanks

When buying my car from a dealer, I discovered it only had one key. I made them supplying a second key part of the negotiations. For them the cost was minimal so they didn't push back much on that issue.

Nice idea but this is clearly not my situation

• Moderators

J

The problem is a simple one, you need a key that the car's security system recognizes, which means using a PST II or PIWIS to

accomplish. The key is going to set you back over $100 alone, cutting it and coding the car to accept it is all labor.

Right, I understand this. Knowing this helps me how?

More specifically, where can I get a key other than dealership? And what details should I look for in securing a key?

Who can cut and program it besides a dealer? Indies?

Thanks

Simple: Several places (including online houses like Pelican or Suncoast) sell the key blanks and heads, but very few lock smiths have the correct equipment to cut a Porsche key (they use a unique system), and I also doubt any Indie would have that equipment either, so you are pretty much stuck with the dealer network. Anyone with either a PST II or PIWIS can do the coding once you have the key. While PST II's are common with serious Indie shops, very few would have a PIWIS system; expect to be billed for about an hour of shop time for the coding at the local prevailing labor rate. If you shop around, you can probably get everything for between $200 - 300 all in.

• Upvote 1

My indie was able to program a new key using his Autologic tool. Of the two codes needed to program the key, the shop did need to get the car code from a dealer. I've kept a copy of the car doce for future reference. BTW: It takes 15 monutes or less to program the key.

• Upvote 1

My indie was able to program a new key using his Autologic tool. Of the two codes needed to program the key, the shop did need to get the car code from a dealer. I've kept a copy of the car doce for future reference. BTW: It takes 15 monutes or less to program the key.

but you still have to have the blank cut by the dealer. What do the charge for that?

My situation was different. I had the key and only had to replace the head. No cutting of a new key blank was involved. My point was that other computers than Porsche ones can program keys.

PS: If a dealer charges more than 1 hour labor to cut and program a key, it would be stealing money out of your pocket. Total job is less than 30 minutes.

Edited by thom4782

• Moderators

My situation was different. I had the key and only had to replace the head. No cutting of a new key blank was involved. My point was that other computers than Porsche ones can program keys.

Be glad they had one. The Autologic unit is one of the most capable aftermarket systems for European brands; unfortunately, it is also one of the most expensive as well. The base unit is north of $10K, fully loaded with all the modules to do Porsche's brings it in at over $60K, not including very stiff annual update contracts, which is why they are few and far between, enough so to be considered nearly non existent. They are also very weak on coverage for Asian brands, which are dominant in the aftermarket repair business. For that amount of money, you can lease a true PIWIS for several years.

Dealerships (and shops) charge by time increment's; some dealers use 30 min. slices, others full hours only. Most shops work on 15 min. time intervals to keep prices down.