Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Wire Harness- that runs the left side O2 sensors engine compartme

Does anyone have any information of how or if its possible to replace the left rear engine compartment wire harness? This harness in the engine compartment plugs into the left side 02 sensors, lid release and license plate lights.
Looking at the schematic it shows one complete harness.. :cursing: :help:

post-89142-0-85013100-1399695670_thumb.j

Anyone ever have to replace this? Any ideas on how to replace

As far as I know, that harness branch is not designed for plug and play replacement. Search in ebay for porsche 996 body harness and you will see the whole bundle comes with all the branches including the rear relay panel and DME connectors.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/130948562193?nav=SEARCH

Just curious why you need to replace the whole branch?

Edited by Ahsai

• Moderators

Does anyone have any information of how or if its possible to replace the left rear engine compartment wire harness? This harness in the engine compartment plugs into the left side 02 sensors, lid release and license plate lights.

attachicon.gifWiring harness schematic.jpg

Porsche only made very large sections the main harness system as one piece, and those large sections tend to be very expensive as well as time consuming to replace. What problem(s) are you trying to solve by replacing it?

It appears that I had a electrical short melting the harness.

As far as I know, that harness branch is not designed for plug and play replacement. Search in ebay for porsche 996 body harness and you will see the whole bundle comes with all the branches including the rear relay panel and DME connectors.

Porsche only made very large sections the main harness system as one piece, and those large sections tend to be very expensive as well as time consuming to replace. What problem(s) are you trying to solve by replacing it?

It appears that I had a short and melted the harness. This is in the back of the engine compartment.

post-89142-0-80628300-1399743093_thumb.j

Edited by SLC911

• Moderators

I'm afraid you are going to find that most of the back of the car is only available as one harness section. Unless you want to keep the car totally factory, you will need to cut, splice, and heat shrink wrap replacements for the burned sections.

This reminds me of a problem I had a few years back. I had the brake pad sensor light on for a couple of years. I checked all the sensors and they were all good. I could not figure out what the problem was. Then one day when I was adjusting the settling son my rear shocks on my PSS10's, which involves taking out the rear top storage liner on a cab, I noticed charring on the label of a wiring harness. I took off the covering in the area of the charring and discovered melted insulation on a ground (brown) wire that was starting to melt the insulation on other wires. I started to trace the wire by unwrapping the harness. Before I knew it I had the rear seats out, the carpet out in the rear seat area and a mass of unwrapped wires from the harness. What a rats nest it looked like. It turned out that the ground wire was for the brake sensors but combined with many other ground wires to one of the grounding points behind the drivers seat. In the case several larger, heavier gauge wires combined into on be smaller gauge wire. I ended up splicing in a wire to replace the ground wire. Luckily none of the other wires that had started to melt was bad. The problem was solved and the brake light was out. No problem has reoccurred.

That being said I probably spent 10+ hours on this fix. I hate to think what it would have cost if it had been a dealer fixing the problem. They probably never had take apart the harness, but would have replaced the harness with a factory supplied harness. The harness would have been very expensive and would have taken more that 10 hours to replace.

Good luck.

Well digging into it the burn seems to go back behind the radiator overflow further then I can reach. So now starts the process of engine and transmission removal. Something that has needed to be done anyway. Now I can replace and clean those things that need it.

This will be my first time doing the engine removal. :eek: