Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet

Hello,

I need to have my rear struts and coils replaced. I am not going to a dealer. There is an exceptional independent mechanic here in the Seattle area (TruLine) where I am going to have the work done. Before I take my Porsche in to have the struts and coils replaced, I would like some advice on name brand struts and coils that I should consider having installed.

This car is a production car. It is my driver and I drive it approximately 40 miles/day on arterials and Interstates. What would be the best struts and coils (name brands and types...performance versus high-end, versus average, etc.)

Can you help me to understand what I should look for?

Thank you,

Julie

post-97342-0-67007200-1407307828.jpg

Personally, for the driving you do, I think White987S has the best idea.  Go with OEM replacements.

But, that said, if your looking for a coil-over set up, check the Bilstein PSS10.  These are not cheap.

And, as White987S also mentioned, why do you need this replacement work?  How many miles on your good-looking C4?  What symptoms have you experienced?

You might consider getting a 2nd opinion before you have the surgery.  Good luck. 

Julie:

Yes, you need a better mechanic. Ask her on Renntech for a place near your home/office, or ask on Rennlist.com. Or, network with people in your local Porsche Club.

Pulling on braking can be a few thing, including:

1) tires, worn, inproper inflation, etc

2) Alignment

3) Bad motor mounts

4) Suspension parts

5) Frame damage

I agree with White987S. I think you have other issues than struts and coils. However, if your looking for an improvement in the standard suspension I would suggest that you consider the Porsche M030 (US) sport suspension upgrade. It doesn't sound like you spend a lot of time fighting speed bumps in parking lots or encounter a lot of pot holes and it is a definite improvement. Although the side streets and some main streets in the Emerald City have a few!

Edited by kbrandsma