Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help with code 1539 please

Yesterday, my dealer replaced the Air Mass Sensor because of "CEL", on the way home the CEL came back on. Today I brought it back to the dealer now he says it showed code 1539 "the Camshaft Adjustment Bank 2" He telling me about $1,000 to fix, Any ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks

Rick

• Admin

Odd that they didn't catch both since the DME stores all codes not just the last one. P1539 should not have anything to do with a MAF failure. What was the previous code?

P1539 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 2

Fault Conditions: Actuator triggered, no active position.

Fault Area:

- Open circuit in triggering wire.

- Open circuit in B+ supply.

- Actuator faulty.

Odd that they didn't catch both since the DME stores all codes not just the last one. P1539 should not have anything to do with a MAF failure. What was the previous code?

P1539 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 2

Fault Conditions: Actuator triggered, no active position.

Fault Area:

- Open circuit in triggering wire.

- Open circuit in B+ supply.

- Actuator faulty.

Loren. thanks for the response. The tech said that the new code 1539 did not show up the day before. When it failed inspection it showed mass air flow only???

Thanks for any help...

Rick

Do NOT blindly believe that code. This code quite often is caused because of something other than the camshaft. It may simply be an open circuit and NOT the actuator being faulty. The mechanic should have told you this if he knows anything about the variocam system. If the P1539 code is acurate and the cam is not shifting, you will be able to tell by the performance of the engine when you get on it above 3000 rpm's. There will be a noticable loss in power at higher rpm's. If there is no perfromance loss, ithe actualor is working and the problem is in the wiring or the sensor on bank 2.

Rick

Do a search on this forum for MAF. I think it can get you quickly up-to-speed on what the common codes are for MAF failures. There isn't a "MAF" code per se, but there are lean threshold codes that have commonly been the result of a dirty or failing MAF sensor (but other things like the O2 sensors, vacuum leaks,etc also could be the cause). :cursing:

Loren is right. What was read on the 1st visit that led the dealer to believe they needed to replace the MAF since this code has nothing to do with it? Probably, P1123 & P1125 but see what their response is...You're already into them for $600 after day 1 and now a unrelated mystery code equals another grand? :angry:

I think the mechanic better come with some better answers for you. Get the codes from visit #1.

• 1 year later...
Do NOT blindly believe that code. This code quite often is caused because of something other than the camshaft. It may simply be an open circuit and NOT the actuator being faulty. The mechanic should have told you this if he knows anything about the variocam system. If the P1539 code is acurate and the cam is not shifting, you will be able to tell by the performance of the engine when you get on it above 3000 rpm's. There will be a noticable loss in power at higher rpm's. If there is no perfromance loss, ithe actualor is working and the problem is in the wiring or the sensor on bank 2.

I need help with P1539 , so this is the Bank 2 Hall sensor, how do I Test if ithe sensor is bad? There is not much on testing sensors from the workshop manual. I just dont belive it could be wiring since nothing has been changed. I guess the plug could have come loose but not likely. These are not that cheap like about $150 per side.

D_Man

• Admin

Check triggering wire for continuity.

1. Connect special tool 9616 to wiring harness (DME control module connector).

2. Remove connector of actuator.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9616, pin 25, and connector, pin 2.

Display: 0 - 5 ohms

Check B+ supply of actuator.

1. Remove connector of actuator.

2. Connect voltmeter to connector, pin 1, and ground.

Switch on the ignition.

Display: battery voltage

Check triggering wire for continuity.

1. Connect special tool 9616 to wiring harness (DME control module connector).

2. Remove connector of actuator.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9616, pin 25, and connector, pin 2.

Display: 0 - 5 ohms

Check B+ supply of actuator.

1. Remove connector of actuator.

2. Connect voltmeter to connector, pin 1, and ground.

Switch on the ignition.

Display: battery voltage

Wow Loren

sounds like you might have had that issue before, thanks

I will try it, mean while I'll start parts hunting a new Hall Sender, also is special tool 9616 a breakout box to the DME harness?

D_Man