Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am posting on this page as a site member, although the fault relates to a different vehicle that we own and I am searching for an answer. 

It all started with a cam sensor code and I detected a continuity fault which I have fixed.  This was soon followed by an Oxygen sensor code.

The car is a year 2000 Toyota with a 1000cc engine done 90k miles.  It has a single Oxygen sensor before the CAT.  The code says faulty sensor.  On erasing the code it generally returns within about 40 miles. The car idles well, but just a little too slowly at about 600.  It's smoother at 650/700. 

I have changed the 02 sensor twice to make sure the first changeover was not faulty.  The fault returned.

There are no exhaust leaks between the sensor and the exhaust manifold.

I have cleaned both the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. 

I have changed the air filter.

I cannot find any vacuum leaks.

Fuel consumption is very good.

Engine monitoring says the car is not ready for testing, even after a new 02 sensor and the engine up to temp. 

A voltage is being detected from the 02 sensor.

Spark intensity is good so are the plugs.

I have not yet done a compression check and I am beginning to suspect a leaking inlet valve.

It passes its emission tests at annual testing time.

Any pointers gratefully received?

H

a quick search pulls up the following....

P0430 Toyota - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2
What is your faults description? model toyota??

In my experience the cat is actually commonly the problem with these faults. 

Agree with Electrict. Check mode 6 TID $01 CID $01 (catalyst efficiency) and if the number fails, that's the catalytic converter. Are you sure it's not P0420 though? P0430 is bank2 which I don't think the car has.

The car uses a regular O2 sensor (non-wideband) so you can also monitor the pre-cat and post-cat sensor signal. The post-cat should stay pretty steady at 0.7 at idle after car is fully warmed up. If the post-cat signal swings similar to the pre-cat, that's an indication the cat is bad.

Have you checked for exhaust air leak upstream of the O2 sensors?

Edited by Ahsai

Have you looked under the car on the exhaust al the way from after cat to the tail pipe to find the post-cat O2 sensor? Is the exhaust stock or is it possible someone has modified and removed the second sensor?

If the car truly has one sensor only, I don't see how it can detect if the cat has gone bad, which P0420 is referring to.

This is what has foxed me.  I can't match the code to the symptoms. The exhaust looks as if it's an original part and there are no after CAT wires hanging about looking for a home, from what I can see so far.  Furthermore, the exhaust smells OK and the car passes its emission test (UK MOT annual testing).

I will just keep looking to see what turns up.  I am reluctant to spend a lot of money on the project as it's a very low value car.

Thanks you for your replies and if I eventually fix the problem I will let you know.

H