Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Has any one used this scanner? It is Porsche specific and does not require a computer. It reads all the codes and has a code library. It is updateable online. It is a lot cheaper than a Durametric which also requires a PC laptop.

I have all Apple computers. 

post-89070-0-68992400-1421172290_thumb.j

• Moderators

Has any one used this scanner? It is Porsche specific and does not require a computer. It reads all the codes and has a code library. It is updateable online. It is a lot cheaper than a Durametric which also requires a PC laptop.

I have all Apple computers. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0258.jpg

It is also a lot less capable than the Durametric.

I went and bought a cheap used PC Laptop for just the Durametric.  The software is great for my needs.  I picked it up for under $200 ... You don't need the latest greatest laptop for the Durametric.  It sits in the garage and is not allowed in the house! I  have 5 apple computers and I dislike windows based computers .... but it is the nature of the beast it is a PC world.  

You're correct JFP but problems seem to occur with the USB interface, especially with live monitoring. Personally I do as Stutzchris says and have an old windows laptop with it on. It is only used for this purpose and also has office on it so I can print information off and do a graph on a monthly basis of the camshaft deviation figures. Paranoid...............who me?

I understand that you can run Durametric on an Apple platform using an Windows emulator program.

Thanx Guys. JFP, how is it less capable or what doesn't it do? Jl-c is right the Windows emulator does not work well. It is tolerable with Office but that is about it. It choked on my medical EMR. I am new to this code business. The yellow car croaked about a month ago. I had to have it flat beded to the dealer. The day before it had rained hard. It had codes in it that told the tech that it had misfires on three cylinders. All of my coils were cracked and water got into them. It cost me $1500 for coils and plugs. They sold me NKG plugs for $36 each! They are $4.95 at Pelican. Nobody told me that the original coils in 997s were crap. If I had known I could have watched for it and I could have done it myself for $600 if I could read the codes. Lesson learned. All I really want to do at this point is read the codes and reset the car unless there is something that could be very useful to me with the Durametric.

• Moderators

I understand that you can run Durametric on an Apple platform using an Windows emulator program.

Thanx Guys. JFP, how is it less capable or what doesn't it do? Jl-c is right the Windows emulator does not work well. It is tolerable with Office but that is about it. It choked on my medical EMR. I am new to this code business. The yellow car croaked about a month ago. I had to have it flat beded to the dealer. The day before it had rained hard. It had codes in it that told the tech that it had misfires on three cylinders. All of my coils were cracked and water got into them. It cost me $1500 for coils and plugs. They sold me NKG plugs for $36 each! They are $4.95 at Pelican. Nobody told me that the original coils in 997s were crap. If I had known I could have watched for it and I could have done it myself for $600 if I could read the codes. Lesson learned. All I really want to do at this point is read the codes and reset the car unless there is something that could be very useful to me with the Durametric.

I have not spent much time with the latest version of this scanner, but these things are more code readers than a true diagnostic tool.  The one that I looked at could not read cam deviation values, would not reset air bag or service reminders, was incapable of re-coding a car (activating on board computers, cruise controls, steering angle resets, activate the ABS/PSM system to bleed air out of it, etc.), etc.  The fact that their advertising says it works on multiple European brand models raises a big flag as Porsche has long been known for have a unique diagnostic system.  Even the guys that make excellent diagnostic tools for VW and Audi will tell you that their tools are hamstrung on a Porsche and to go to Durametric.  I'm sure it will read global OBD II codes on a Porsche, but remain circumspect that it can function in the traditional "protected codes" areas of the car.  The only tools that I know of that can do that are the Durametric, PIWIS, and AutoLogic systems.  And before you ask, an AutoLogic tool set up for Porsche is approaching $12K, plus updates.

I have not spent much time with the latest version of this scanner, but these things are more code readers than a true diagnostic tool.  The one that I looked at could not read cam deviation values, would not reset air bag or service reminders, was incapable of re-coding a car (activating on board computers, cruise controls, steering angle resets, activate the ABS/PSM system to bleed air out of it, etc.), etc.  The fact that their advertising says it works on multiple European brand models raises a big flag as Porsche has long been known for have a unique diagnostic system.  Even the guys that make excellent diagnostic tools for VW and Audi will tell you that their tools are hamstrung on a Porsche and to go to Durametric.  I'm sure it will read global OBD II codes on a Porsche, but remain circumspect that it can function in the traditional "protected codes" areas of the car.  The only tools that I know of that can do that are the Durametric, PIWIS, and AutoLogic systems.  And before you ask, an AutoLogic tool set up for Porsche is approaching $12K, plus updates.

Thanx JFP. It is only a code reader and resetter. This particular version is Porsche specific and I do think it reads all the codes. At least it has one chapter on OBD codes and other chapters on stuff like the seats. I have no way of knowing if it is missing codes. $12,000 is out of the question. If I had that money now it would go into a Fabspeed perfomance system for the Turbo :-) I'll look into a cheap Laptop. The consumer Durametric is limited to three cars. Do you know what happens when you run out of cars? Can you buy an extension or do you just have to buy another one? The only other way out of this one is to spend twice as much on the Indie version. How do you get updates??

• Moderators

Thanx JFP. It is only a code reader and resetter. This particular version is Porsche specific and I do think it reads all the codes. At least it has one chapter on OBD codes and other chapters on stuff like the seats. I have no way of knowing if it is missing codes. $12,000 is out of the question. If I had that money now it would go into a Fabspeed perfomance system for the Turbo :-) I'll look into a cheap Laptop. The consumer Durametric is limited to three cars. Do you know what happens when you run out of cars? Can you buy an extension or do you just have to buy another one? The only other way out of this one is to spend twice as much on the Indie version. How do you get updates??

I believe that you can either convert the Enthusiast version to the Pro for a fee, or get the unit reset back to three available for a fee.  As I have always used the Pro version, I am not sure of the exact proceedures, but if you drop Durametric an email, I'm sure they will fill in any details for you.

Periodically, with no definitive time pattern, Durametric releases a new version with patches, bug fixes and new features.  When they do, you go to their website and download the new version, following the instructions on the site to replace the older version.  Updates are unlimited and completely free.

I believe that you can either convert the Enthusiast version to the Pro for a fee, or get the unit reset back to three available for a fee.  As I have always used the Pro version, I am not sure of the exact proceedures, but if you drop Durametric an email, I'm sure they will fill in any details for you.

Periodically, with no definitive time pattern, Durametric releases a new version with patches, bug fixes and new features.  When they do, you go to their website and download the new version, following the instructions on the site to replace the older version.  Updates are unlimited and completely free.

One last question JFP. Does the Durametric now do what ever it takes to change the clutch fluid in PDKs??

• Admin

One last question JFP. Does the Durametric now do what ever it takes to change the clutch fluid in PDKs??

The Durametric model matrix is here

• Moderators

As of the latest version (6.5.0.6), it can read and clear codes and see various real time data from the PDK, but as of yet does not have the ability to control the clutch oil cooling circuits, which is required to change the clutch oil.  Hopefully, this will change in the future with the quickly growing number of these gearboxes on the street.

To save a few bucks, check with Durametric about "refurbished" units, they are completely gone through and carry the same warrantee as brand new units, but at an often substantial discount.