Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2005 996 C4S 52k miles. Owned for two years. Stock suspension, as far as I know. One year old Bridgestone Potenza S-02A N3 225-40 front, 295-30 rear on stock 18" wheels with approx. 1500 miles since new. While airing up for new season remembered rough ride and that I had reduced pressure a few #'s to soften ride. Is this a bad thing? I drive the car mostly in town like a normal car. While I will occasionally zip from a stop or take a corner or two quicker than wife appreciates! No track, no DE, no pylon racing. Just a grocery getter! Manual calls for 36#'s front and 44#'s rear. I know it has a sport suspension but the ride on less than perfectly maintained Nebraska roads is at the minimum taunt and maximum punishing. Am I just getting old or should I look further into things that control this like suspension bits ?

I run 34# front and #40 rear. My understating is the 36# and 44# is for a fully loaded car (full of passengers and luggage).

I found 36/44 to be really too harsh even on the stock suspension. I have x74 so 34/40 is a must for me.

Yeah inside rear tire wear is why I put new tires on after I bought it. Previous owner was oblivious to that fact. Just looked at the outer tread while checking air pressure. Should have seen his face when PPI mech. had it on lift and said "come here and take a look at this!" Good negotiating point plus the "it will need an alignment check"(which turned out good).

• 2 years later...

2004 996 Carrera Cab 56K miles. I have owned this car for about a year and LOVE the way it drives, handles, everything about it....except rear tire wear. Pirelli that came on it on the rear blew. Replaced with the only tires I could find in Eastern Texas on a Sunday afternoon, 275/35R18 Firestone Firehawks. Good tires. I had no complaints except I only got 5000 miles out of them. Replaced with the same size Michelin Pilot SPT AS 3+ 95Y in January of this year. I mixed with 224/40R18 BF Goodrich G-Force C2 A/S. I know this is not recommended but thank the good Lord that I had tread on the front tires to keep me on the road in the rain on the highway. The Michelins have gotten 5000 miles since installed in January! I should have paid more attention to the tire pressure that was added during installation as all 4 tires had 32 lbs added. I checked depth across the back tires and they have worn to 2/32nds on the outsides but still have 4/32nds on the insides. All else constant, is this the behavior I would see with low tire pressure? Could the slightly different tire size from stock in the back cause excessive wear? The car has not been wrecked, per the dealer and I see no evidence to say that it has been. Thanks in advance for your help.

Excessive wear on the outer edges of the tread Is the classic sign of under inflation. It's wiser, safer and far more economical to regularly check tyre pressures and to stick to the tyre sizes recommended by Porsche.

Checking alignment might be an idea also.

Edited by wizard
Spelling

Many Thanks! So, any idea if I will have problems with Michelin honoring the mileage warranty? The tires are warranted for 65,000 miles but since they can't be rotated on this car, the warranted mileage is cut in half per the warranty. At 4660 miles, that is still way below the 32,500 miles that I should be getting but I need to know if my missing that the installer screwed up the tire pressure makes me liable for the accelerated wear.

Thanks guys. Yep, I figured as much. Not making excuses. Just hoping for a legal loophole. Live and learn.

I still think the rear tires are wearing much too fast, though. The car is so much fun to drive, it is hard to drive conservatively but I don't drive dangerously or overly aggressively and never been on a track. I have inflated the tires to the proper pressures and plan to drive it like I stole it to even the tire wear before the warranty time expires.