Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New 996 Owner - headlight question

Hello all- I am a proud owner of a new to me 2000 996 Carrera. I have added LED running lights and ordered a short shifter after one week of having the car. I have the running lights set up to come on after start up and turn off when headlights are turned on.

My question is "is there some different headlight bulbs to put in that are white and not the old yellow color" ? Close to match the white color of LEDs.  On to a couple pics... Thanks for any help in advance.

IMG_4600.jpgIMG_4583.jpg

• Moderators

Hello all- I am a proud owner of a new to me 2000 996 Carrera. I have added LED running lights and ordered a short shifter after one week of having the car. I have the running lights set up to come on after start up and turn off when headlights are turned on.

My question is "is there some different headlight bulbs to put in that are white and not the old yellow color" ? Close to match the white color of LEDs.  On to a couple pics... Thanks for any help in advance.

IMG_4600.jpgIMG_4583.jpg

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

Be extremely careful with aftermarket bulbs in these headlights.  Many of them run much hotter than the factory bulbs and end up melting the lenses:

IMG_15911300375123.jpg

If you want better, and much brighter headlights, look around for someone selling the Litronic HID factory lights for either the 996 or early (986) Boxsters (they are all the same).

IMG_74061397922081.jpg

These are way brighter, but actually run cooler than the halogens.

• Upvote 1

I upgraded mine with DDM Tuning chinese 55 watt HIDs about 4 years ago and have had no issues*.  I only upgraded the low beams, as I rarely use the high beams.  The HIDs have caused no problems thus far.  The ballasts mount nicely on the little back access door of the removable headlight module.

* I did have one ballast burn out.  DDM replaced it though.

• Moderators

I upgraded mine with DDM Tuning chinese 55 watt HIDs about 4 years ago and have had no issues*.  I only upgraded the low beams, as I rarely use the high beams.  The HIDs have caused no problems thus far.  The ballasts mount nicely on the little back access door of the removable headlight module.

* I did have one ballast burn out.  DDM replaced it though.

Just be aware that retrofit HID kits in non projector head lights are illegal in some states due to being non DOT and causing severe glare to on coming driver's (read ticket bait), and will also cause the car to fail its annual safety and emissions inspection.  We are forced to fail cars for this regularly.

• 11 months later...

Just be aware that retrofit HID kits in non projector head lights are illegal in some states due to being non DOT and causing severe glare to on coming driver's (read ticket bait), and will also cause the car to fail its annual safety and emissions inspection.  We are forced to fail cars for this regularly.

JFP,
I have a 2002 C2 with the litronic Osram H7U bulbs. Do you think it'll cause problems if I use a 4500k halogen HI bulb? Or if I upgrade the bulb to a HID bulb? In addition, what's your thoughts on the high beam being replaced a something brighter either a halogen or HID set? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Moderators

The problem on converting non HID lights to using aftermarket HID bulbs is the lack of a projector lens.  The projector lens focuses the beam in such a manner as to reduce the intense glare put out by HID bulbs, and also causes the pronounced horizontal "cut off" of the upper portion of the HID beam seen in the factory Litronic headlamps.  As the high beam in your car is not a projector lens, you would lose a large part of the HID high beam it widely scattered glare which would blind on coming drivers and be "ticket bait" for the nearest cops.  And if who ever does your annual state inspection notices them, he is supposed to fail the car for non DOT conforming lights.  

• Upvote 1

Swap your lights out for the OEM Litronic.  Be sure to get the lights for the right year as I think the lens design changed in 2002 or 2003.

This should likely be a plug and play exchange.  Check fuse sizes too.  I'd bet wiring and install would be a snap.