Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

It seems as though I have disappearing coolant.  No leaks own the ground, but the coolant container in engine compartment is empty.  I fill it up and it goes empty again. Checked dipstick and oil runs off the stick like water.  Would appear to have water in oil problem.  Car has just been in accident that required a new radiator as I was hit in the front go car fairly hard. I ran the car for a short period than sit it down, was overheating but for a couple of minutes. Am I dead?

Any oil in coolant? Two possibilities are AOS ruptured and it dumps coolant into the engine case. The other one is a leaking oil/coolant heat exchanger. Oil pressure is much higher than coolant pressure so you should see oil in coolant too. Just siphon out some coolant in a clear container and  check for trace of oil.

Any work done on the engine end after the accident?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Threads are not removed unless they violate forum policy, and when discussing a potentially serious problem, considerable delays in posts are not uncommon.  It has not even been a month since this tread was started, we have some that have remained open literally years, with occasional additions and/or questions.

2 hours ago, Porschetech3 said:

Abandoned thread? What was final determination of what happened? Just wasn't properly filled after front end crash???? I hate threads like these, just abandoned, they should be removed.

Have some fun with the list posted here.It would help others to read the entire Thread. It certainly got my attention ! Cracked cylinders !

1 hour ago, Schnell Gelb said:

Have some fun with the list posted here.It would help others to read the entire Thread. It certainly got my attention ! Cracked cylinders !

BTW your spring is in the mail !!!

Yea I had read that post earlier, I thought it was interesting the OP had the Hartech cylinders re-rounded and the support o-ring installed. I had a local machine shop do one like that for one on my m96 engines. ( I have 3 of them).

1 hour ago, JFP in PA said:

Threads are not removed unless they violate forum policy, and when discussing a potentially serious problem, considerable delays in posts are not uncommon.  It has not even been a month since this tread was started, we have some that have remained open literally years, with occasional additions and/or questions.

Yea JFP, he is probably knee deep in the m/96 jungle by now !! Loosing a 2 tanks of coolant immediately and not knowing where its going does indeed sound like a serious problem.( unless of course it just wasn't full to begin with after the crash). He could be dealing with the crash repair shop, his insurance company ect, I'll go back and edit my mean post because its been only a few weeks, and he is not repairing it on flat rate.

The Hartech support ring is an interesting alternative . Surprised the OP in that case did not contact Hartech about the white smoke. Hartech seem very competent and a decent company who would be interested in a possible failure  of one of their reman engines after so few miles.

3, M96 engines? Maybe I need more than just a spring  from your basement ? :-).

5 minutes ago, Schnell Gelb said:

The Hartech support ring is an interesting alternative . Surprised the OP in that case did not contact Hartech about the white smoke. Hartech seem very competent and a decent company who would be interested in a possible failure  of one of their reman engines after so few miles.

3, M96 engines? Maybe I need more than just a spring  from your basement ? :-).

I have 3 m/96 engines in 3 different running cars ! Plus 1 m/96 rebuilt on a stand for a spare, plus extra everything for spare parts. I have a 99 Coupe, a 99 Cab, an 02 986 with a 3.2 s motor in it. I have saved quite a lot of m/96 parts , but I have let even more get away before I decided to start keeping them.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Porschetech3 said:

Yea JFP, he is probably knee deep in the m/96 jungle by now !! Loosing a 2 tanks of coolant immediately and not knowing where its going does indeed sound like a serious problem.( unless of course it just wasn't full to begin with after the crash). He could be dealing with the crash repair shop, his insurance company ect, I'll go back and edit my mean post because its been only a few weeks, and he is not repairing it on flat rate.

Unfortunately, many times these postings do not end well, with the owner facing big expenses or the possible heart break of selling off the car as a roller with a duff engine.  Coming back here to tell how it panned out is the least of their problems.

It seems the disappearing water was being consumed by the new radiator and the whole system after it was drained. Actually running great now. No water in oil just thinned out oil due to overheating. Changed oil and things have improved. 

12 hours ago, 1999911 said:

It seems the disappearing water was being consumed by the new radiator and the whole system after it was drained. Actually running great now. No water in oil just thinned out oil due to overheating. Changed oil and things have improved. 

Air pockets !! . Must use an evacuation tool on these watercooled Porsches !!