Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery is good, I had an airbag fault which I erased, still nothing.  The started is not engaging.  I show this fault under instrument cluster:  I had the radio/GPS head unit out chasing 

a problem with the back up camera.  There's a ton of wires behind the head unit that gets pushed as you re-insert the head unit.

What is the PCM module?  Is there something behind the radio head unit that would shut down the starter?  I guess for starters I'll pull the radio back out.  That's the only thing

that might be part of this problem.

Thanks, any suggestions will be appreciated...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_50ec.jpg

Edited by creekman
Forgot to say thank you...

Thanks, I'll look at that today and report back. I'm glad you're on the job...  Oh, one other thing, I wonder what set off my

air bag fault?  Whatever the problem is all of this must lead to one issue.

Mitch

Edited by creekman
2nd thought...

Puled the head unit and all seems well...  I'll do a better job of tie wrapping some of the cables, but no smoking gun.  Checked the fuses and  all good there.  Just for conversation sake, if you had a blown C4 fuse with that prevent the starter from engaging?

The airbag fault showed  up again and  I canceled it again.  I think as Ahsai suggest is to jump the clutch safety feature 

C1 to C4 are easy to remember for me so I always ask ppl to check those. You are right that one of them is for the fuel pump so it will not cause your symptoms.

Next things to check are clutch switch (jump it) and make sure the battery cables are tight. Next place to check is the rear starter relay panel.

• Like 1

I did check E-1 at your direction... I pulled each of those fuses, if they had been blown would you see it without pulling the fuse?  Is the PCM back in the dash, is it a small module/box?  What does PCM stand for, I guess the "C" 'computer'.  I had showed the car on Saturday, lst place in class, then I removed the radio head to patch another camera, it worked. So now I'm down to wiring or camera.  Pushed the radio back in, now it's Sunday, I'

Some posts talk of a brown wire with a blue stripe as the alarm wire. This is true, but please note that my car has two such wires, one directly on one of the radio connector harnesses and the other, the alarm wire, which is initially hard to find.

This wire is actually connected to a pressure plate on the left hand side of the radio mounting bracket as you look at it. The pressure plate presses against the radio and when it meets metal, it sets off the alarm. With my aftermarket HU, putting loads of masking tape over the left hand side did not cure the problem. The only cure came when I disconnected (I didn't cut the wire and I advise against cutting it as it is not necessary) the alarm wire by pushing back the clip which connects it to the pressure plate.

Once that is done, simply tape up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK boys, true confession... Here's what happen, I borrowed a back up camera and removed the radio head and plugged in the 'camera in' cable, removed a fuse and took a spade connector and crimp it on to the positive red wire, removed a 7.5A fuse from E-1 and plugged the spade connector into the fuse socket.  Here's where I screwed up I put the fuse back into E2.  E2 was an empty slot, but the thought occurred to me which slot to go back.  I'm not very angil in my old age but in appeared that E1 was not a working slot I couldn't see the fuse receptacle well enough to see both slots.

Anyway, an x-Porsche mechanic came over this afternoon and he kept asking questions until he asked which fuse did you remove...  I hate doing dumb *** mistakes...  Turned out that the back up camera was bad, had to remove the rear bumper cover to sort it out which is not a big deal.  Surprising the after market camera only looks about 4' out when mounted on the return above the license plate.  I mad a shim so it looks back 20' on the old camera and the new camera I'll have to do the same.  FYI, you can buy these cameras on e-bay for $12.00...

So thanks for all of your help...

Yep, car started and no more airbag fault...  E1 covers the following:

Alarm control module

Daytime running light

Info system

Instrument cluster

Radio

Rollover control module

Terminal 86's ?

Geeez, can't a guy get a little sympathy...  The new $12.00 back up camera works great, 170 degree view and much sharper than the old one that went south.  While we had the rear bumper cover off we looked at the quiet muffler system that has never worked from the time I bought the car...≥...  It now works, not sure what it's value is, less showing off to your best friend...