Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What gauge wiring to use to extend switches?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I am working on a GT3 console delete and am needing to extend the controls for the roof and sunshade to the rear center console blanks.  What gauge wiring would I use to extend?  I think it might be 18?  

Andrew,

Electrical is the least of my talents...  but for whatever it's worth wire size depends on distance as well as loads.  You're only talking about moving the switches 18"-24"?  You would probably be ok using the same wire size, but to cover you self you bump up the wire size.  If the roof actuator motor was on a relay then I don't think you have a worry to use the same size wire.  My 2 cents...

There must be a 'sparky' out there that can give you a yea or ney...

Never change gauge of wire in a circuit, it can heat at the junction where the resistance changes due to the size difference,

if I was wanting to move the switch I'd use the same gauge ,, a barrel connector, crimp then solder lightly only in the hole

in the center of the connector, you don't want solder to flow in to the wire. Most of the circuits in the wiring diagram are

low current and trigger a relay.. May be exceptions. But that's what it looks like.

if its a heavy circuit like the AC clutch, or a circuit on the load side of the relay I would put in a new wire..

Edited by dwtaylorpdx

These are low current switches last time I looked at the schematic. I wouldn't sweat trying to perfectly match the gauge of the wire. Pay more attention at making the right connections and it's always a good idea to solder and shield (i.e. heat shrink tubing) at each break in the line. The next owner would appreciate that!

Another tip:
The reason for the barrel crimp connectors is to give a mechanical

connection that doesn't fail if a wire gets overheated, on these low

load circuits,, its not a deal breaker.. If you solder a pair of wires

together, without the barrel, male sure to not over penetrate the solder,

if it flows in side the wires insulation it can become a brittle joint, it

also takes away the wires ability to flex. So vibration can fatigue it quicker.