Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag Light & Buckle Replacement

took my '98 boxster in for oil change and to turn off airbag warning light...i was hoping it was just an electrical fault from the battery being out over the winter, but it was the driver seat belt buckle...don't get me started on this given that there were at least 3 TSBs on this "faulty" component...dealer wants $400 plus to "fix" just the driver side...i can buy the updated wire harness and buckle for $100 so i figure i might as well DIY it...was hoping someone might have the TSB and/or instructions on the fix...i realize i'll have to have the dealer clear the light after do the job...thanks

took my '98 boxster in for oil change and to turn off airbag warning light...i was hoping it was just an electrical fault from the battery being out over the winter, but it was the driver seat belt buckle...don't get me started on this given that there were at least 3 TSBs on this "faulty" component...dealer wants $400 plus to "fix" just the driver side...i can buy the updated wire harness and buckle for $100 so i figure i might as well DIY it...was hoping someone might have the TSB and/or instructions on the fix...i realize i'll have to have the dealer clear the light after do the job...thanks

Let me know whay you do as I have the same problem!!

Aaron

• Moderators

Contributing members can see the TSB, or you can get it from Alldata, or maybe your local dealer will give you a copy.

My 1997 had one of the early fixes during the then 2 year factory warranty. Then the latest fix was done to my car in 2002 when the car was long out of warranty. New buckles and ground wires - the gold instead of tin plated kind. It was goodwilled so I did not pay anything. No light in 3 years.

I was told that as of July 2003 Porsche's policy changed for out of warranty cars, and it was now on a case by case basis, and if you had a history of prior fixes if you would got a free fix. 2 of our local owners within the past year paid for the labor and Porsche paid for the parts. Of course, the labor is more expensive than the parts.

Your typical Honda/GM owner would freak out if they saw an air bag light come on. There would be a recall. In my 6 years of Boxstir ownership I have never understood how Porsche seems to be immune from such things, known problems.

Also, like the crappy Audi/VW ignition switch used for many years that fails - I had two of those replaced by the way. If you turned on the ignition, started the car, the headlights and other things did not come on. Or, if you turned off the ignition the engine continued to run. Or, if you could not remove the ignition key. That crappy switch was used up to 2002 on the Box and 996. The only recall was for about 3,000 1997 Boxes. If that was going on with a Toyota....

Rant over. Do not get mad a your local dealer. Your dealer would love to get paid by PCNA in Atlanta for doing the work.

I watched the retro being done by Peter in 2001, just like was done to my car the following year. I did not pay attention. Just took pictures. When we remove seats at our local work on cars days I can tell which cars had the fix done because there are additional ground wires and non factory electrical tape on the wiring harness to the seats.

air_bag_fix.sized.jpg

thanks jeff...i agree...i agree it's hard to believe this (and the ignition switch) didn't warrant a recall...chalk it up to the price of owning a porsche i guess...

hindsight is 20/20...I should have asked the dealer to preemptively fix some of these "known" issues before my warranty ended...

The dealer reset the idiot light when they diagnosed it so for the time being i'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back...BTW, sorry for asking for the TSB...saw the note about contributing members having access to TSBs in the TSB section after i initially posted...thanks for the pics hopefully i won't need them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The latest fix really isn't all that complicated, though the latest technical info calls for a different fix for the pre 00 cars than the newer cars. Both involve new belt buckles and new connectors and connector housings. If you have a basic knowledge of crimping and soldering and can follow instructions you can do it yourself. Pretty much the only tool out of the ordinary you will need is an E12 torx socket, which you use to remove the seat bolts.

Sent you a PM.

The latest fix really isn't all that complicated, though the latest technical info calls for a different fix for the pre 00 cars than the newer cars.  Both involve new belt buckles and new connectors and connector housings.  If you have a basic knowledge of crimping and soldering and can follow instructions you can do it yourself.  Pretty much the only tool out of the ordinary you will need is an E12 torx socket, which you use to remove the seat bolts.

Sent you a PM.

thanks PTEC...sent you a reply this AM

• 3 weeks later...
The latest fix really isn't all that complicated, though the latest technical info calls for a different fix for the pre 00 cars than the newer cars.  Both involve new belt buckles and new connectors and connector housings.  If you have a basic knowledge of crimping and soldering and can follow instructions you can do it yourself.  Pretty much the only tool out of the ordinary you will need is an E12 torx socket, which you use to remove the seat bolts.

Sent you a PM.

Hello PTEC,

I have the same problem and I also would like the directions to fix this little problem.......thanks in advanced Aaron

Sent you a PM.

Hi PTEC,

I also belong to the legions of pre-00 Boxster owners with the airbag light problem. Local repair shop cleared it once but it reappeared after only 3 days. They are willing to fix it again, I just don't like the wait period to get into the shop. Appreciate if you could also send me the instructions you have.

• Admin

Sent you a PM.

Hello PTEC,

I have the same problem and I also would like the directions to fix this little problem.......thanks in advanced Aaron

The instructions to fix the seat belt buckles are in a TSB.

Contributing Members here can read ALL of the TSBs... hint hint ;) ;)

• Admin

Sent you a PM.

Hi PTEC,

I also belong to the legions of pre-00 Boxster owners with the airbag light problem. Local repair shop cleared it once but it reappeared after only 3 days. They are willing to fix it again, I just don't like the wait period to get into the shop. Appreciate if you could also send me the instructions you have.

Sent you a PM.

Hi PTEC,

Hello Loren,

I'm now a contributor of the site however all I can do is see the number no fixes or directions of any kind!!! Thanks Aaron

• Admin
Hello Loren,

I'm now a contributor of the site however all I can do is see the number no fixes or directions of any kind!!!  Thanks Aaron

Make sure you have logged out and back in so the board will sign you in as a Contributing Member. Then you will need to click on the link on the TSB pages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
the seat belt buckles have been a problem since day one, if you can do it your self baum Tools has a scanner that will clear the lights

I live 7 hrs away from a dealer, but was told a PSTII computer was needed to reset the light. Can you remember which Baum Tools item will do the trick?

• Admin
I live 7 hrs away from a dealer, but was told a PSTII computer was needed to reset the light. Can you remember which Baum Tools item will do the trick?
The Baum tool with the Porsche option(s) is about $4000.

The Durametric Software is under $250 and will reset all controllers except the alarm.