Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to identify steering rack?

I have my 1999 Carrera 4  Coupe. About 98000 miles.

I'd like to rebuild the front suspension, including the inner and outer tie-rods.  I'll need tie-rods and boots, plus the retaining rings and that sealing ring.

Looks like there are a few different parts for the steering rack, which must be different sizes or shapes because the related parts are different. The Katalog I have shows 996 347 011 05, plus -06 and -07 for the rack.  Looks like -06 and -07 require different external parts.

How can I tell which steering rack I have? Is a part number on it in a visible spot or can I measure something to figure out which bellows, clamping ring, and sealing ring I need?

1 hour ago, JFP in PA said:

You can try running a parts search on board sponsors Sunset Porsche's online parts site, starting by entering the car's VIN which will figure out which rack is in the car.

Any advice on how to make that work?  I start here, then enter my VIN in the search box (which says Part number(s), Keywords or VIN) and I'm told my VIN is not found -- as if it's searching the parts catalog for the literal string of my VIN.

I was hoping there was a known spot where the part number was stamped into my existing rack, or some other physical attribute that would help me know which supporting parts to buy.

• Moderators

As you live relatively near Sunset, give them a call and ask them to run the VIN for you 503-718-6060.  I all the years I have been running VIN numbers to get parts listing, I have only had the system say that twice, and both time there were problems about the car.  Let's make sure the VIN is legit first, then get the parts you need.

• Moderators
Just now, Mike Blaszczak said:

Problems? What do you mean, specifically? The VIN is legit -- I've owned the car since new.

Then the VIN should be good.  The two cases I ran into involved a "grey market" car (one that was never approved to be sold in North America and therefore should have never been registered as it lacked appropriate emission and safety devices for this market) and one that was stolen (VIN actually came back to a Honda Accord).

Call Sunset parts, ask them to run your VIN to find out which rack should be in the car; parts departments do this all the time. 😉

35 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

which rack should be in the car

At this point, I'm thinking my question wasn't clear enough. What's important to me is discovering which rack is in the car.

If I buy parts based on what rack should be in the car, I'll get parts that should fit. What if they don't?

If I buy parts based on the rack that actually is in the car, I'll get parts that will fit.

I'm hoping to find a way to identify the rack that actually is in the car.

In this project, I've already been burned by VIN lookups that resulted in purchasing the wrong parts. It would be great if I could get the right parts on the first try because doing so will save time and money.

Maybe the rack has a part number cast into it, or other identifying stamps, that will let me know with certainty which parts to buy. Or maybe I can measure a certain diameter or length and know for sure which bellows and clamp set I need.

• Moderators

If the rack has never been changed out, a VIN search in Porsche parts system will reveal exactly what part number the car came with, as well as any updated components released to the market since the car was sold. VIN based parts searches are by far the best way to do what you are trying to do; and most dealerships will not sell you a part without getting the car's VIN first because they don't want to waste time ordering in or shipping the wrong stuff.  It is simply the best way to get the correct part.  In all the years I have run my shop, we have not had any problems going this route.

RackPart.png.4f4d2926584b0f084d426fd6cbbf8c93.png

To answer my own question and help anyone else who is searching: the rack part number is stamped on the part and is clearly visible without removing it from the vehicle.

I was finally able to get under the car. After removing the center cover, I could see the part number on the back of the unit (towards the rear of the car) and just to the right of the input shaft. It's on yjre side opposite that circled in the picture above. After scratching the funk off it with a wire brush, it was easy to identify the part actually installed on the car so I could order the right boots and clamps on the first try.

Edited by Mike Blaszczak

• 5 months later...

Is the part # a sticker or an embossed/etched #?  I can see a # but it does not look like a Porsche part.  Mine shows "149G212A412".  The steering box shows TRW embossed on it, but that # is the only thing i can see through a small gap between the chassis brace and the front wheel well.

Am I looking in the wrong place - took 5 videos but cannot see anything else.

thx

Mark

OK found it (-06 for me).  For others looking, to add to Mike's comment the # is on the top of the unit towards the back (presume my earlier post is a serial #).  I could not get a phone in there to see anything beyond the 996-347 digits (even a small old iPhone 4).  In the end used a flexible extendible mirror with a couple of Harbor Freight flashlights.   I'm on a pair of stands only 14" up.  Probably easier if you have a lift (just getting the angles and positioning.

Thx

Mark