Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Debris in oil filter element

• Moderators

An oil analysis is not going to help, ferrous metal is most likely the sign of a major league problem developing.  You need to think about trying to locate the source before something really bad happens.  And even if it is an IMS bearing, you cannot just replace it, the engine will need to come apart, if for no other reason than to clean the metal out of the oil passages. 

Then its a rebuild, next to impossible in Hawaii, or a replacement.  I will start looking around for replacements.  Anyone have suggestions as to where.  I could ship the car to my brother-in-law in San Diego for repair.

Then its a rebuild, next to impossible in Hawaii, or a replacement.  I will start looking around for replacements.  Anyone have suggestions as to where.  I could ship the car to my brother-in-law in San Diego for repair.

These results were from an oil change when I first got the car.  The oil only had around 1000 miles on it at the time.

MI/HR on Oil

UNIT / LOCATION AVERAGES

UNIVERSAL AVERAGES

MI/HR on Unit

Sample Date

11/5/2021

Make Up Oil Added

0 qts

ALUMINUM

CHROMIUM

IRON

COPPER

LEAD

TIN

MOLYBDENUM

NICKEL

MANGANESE

SILVER

TITANIUM

POTASSIUM

BORON

SILICON

SODIUM

CALCIUM

MAGNESIUM

PHOSPHORUS

ZINC

BARIUM

Values Should Be*

PROPERTIES

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C

Flashpoint in °F

>385

Fuel %

<0.5

<2.0

Antifreeze %

Water %

Insolubles %

<0.6

TBN

TAN

ISO Code

* THIS COLUMN APPLIES ONLY TO THE CURRENT SAMPLE

Edited by Shrek

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Shrek said:

You could also get a good engine out of a wreck and install it, which is usually the lowest cost option.

Sorry you are caught up in this. 
there was a class action suit against Porsche a few years ago Re IMS issues.  Lots of engines replaced for free as I recall. I missed out because I  installed the LME upgrade to minimalise IMS failure potential.

there were shops around that would do an engine swap at a price of course. It’s a Porsche after all. Good luck.  Look around. 

Seems impossible re all those springs.

has engine been apart?  Did someone dump them into oil pan??? Crazy !

Assume engine frozen?  If not, don’t turn it over, save what you can.  
I have an old oil pump that I changed out of my 3.0 from 911sc.  Yep, sits proudly on workbench. Can only imagine those little spring getting sucked up into that engine. Seems impossible, but often pictures don’t tell the whole story. 

Car has been running fine.  Like I said, did some maintenance to the cooling system and changed a dragging starter.  Last task was to change oil and filter.  Found debris in filter element so I decided to drop the pan and there they were.  The RMS was changed by a previous owner 6 or 7 years ago along with the IMSB.

Is that Mobil1 15w-50?  13.73 is thin for a 15W50, I agree, especially after such short mileage.  My 0w40 has that viscosity even after 5K OCIs.  Overall nothing jumps out -- wear metals aren't very high but the OCI is very short.

p.s. I saw on Rennlist, it looks like the tension spring from the RMS.

I see but how did it need a quart top up in 1,662 miles if you said it only burns a quart every 3,000 miles?  Maybe you only added half a quart?

Either way, mixing in a lower viscosity oil would explain, at least in part, the thinning of the oil... still seems pretty thin overall given that the majority was 15W/50.

FWIW Blackstone's fuel dilution measurement isn't that reliable from what I have seen

• Moderators

What perplexes me is that if this spring remains is from the RMS, why isn't the seal leaking like a sieve? The spring is all that holds the tension of the seal around the crankshaft, without it oil should be all over the place, God knows the seals are prone to leak with the spring still in place.........

Possibly from an old since replaced RMS that someone sloppy drilled holes for the removal screws in then it got chewed up inside the engine... so there is a new RMS in there now with spring intact.  Yes, agree, the RMS was updated but this is still one of the most common leaking points on this engine.