Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing Coolant Reservoir '99 996

• Admin

I have not do it but I have heard it is about 1-2 hours because of all the other stuff you need to remove to get it out. Here is a diagram of the coolant tank assembly. Make sure you get the newest one (996 106 147 56 for a MY99) as there have been several changes. You might also get 1 liter of Porsche coolant (000 043 203 78) which will give 2 liter when mixed properly at 50-50.

coolant_tank.gif

• 2 months later...

Do any of you have any idea of the reason for the ski sloped part sticking out of the right side of the coolant tank in a 99' C2? :huh: It's on the right side of the tank in the pic posted by Loren above.

For the life of me, I can't see why that piece is there, other than to cause it to be harder to install a new coolant tank. It almost looks as if it is there as some type of support for a pipe of some type. But there is nothing even near it when the tank is installed. I really can't think of why that part of the tank juts out like that.

Thoughts?

Dean

• Moderators

It is a support for...... something....... Something round with a brass fiting and what looks like a ground wire, and a flow arrow. I would say a fuel filter but that is not where I think it is supposed to be

No idea as I'm a Boxster guy and our engines are not backwards. :P Second picture is from ninerguru's DIYer instructions.

coolant_tank_996b.sized.jpg

coolant_tank_996c_ninerguru.sized.jpg

• Moderators

Ok, I will go back to the Boxster side in due time.

It did look like a Boxster/996 fuel filter. But what the heck is it doing there, next to a hot motor. At least it does not have plastic lines. Might be time time for pictures of Porsches on fire.

My first picture was Josh's GT2. This is an old GT3 Loren and I saw at Rennwerks.

post-2-1072752418_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys.

For the life of me, I could not get the new coolant tank back into my 99' C2 with that ski slope on the side. It took me about an hour to pull the old tank, including gathering all the tools, draining the fluid, etc.

Then I sat there for an hour trying to get that *^@$%# new tank in. I just could not find a way, no matter which angle of attack, or which way I twisted it. The ski slope piece seemed to serve no purpose in my car. And every time I tried to put the tank in, the coolant sensor would snag at the bottom, and there was no more clearance up top. I was scared to death I was going to break the sensor off (and on a Sunday).

I followed all of the R&R instructions, and moved or unhooked some other lines as well. I tied things back, and even enlisted the wife. No matter which angle I tried, I could not get it (coolant tank) in. Argh!

So..........., I'm ashamed to say, I chopped that ski slope piece right off the side, and the tank slid right in. But I became overwelmed with fear that I'd done something stupid (again). Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Now, I simply look at this as a weight reduction measure.

Dean

Does the Porsche coolant contain anti-freeze?

Also, is this coolant resevoir the same thing as what we call header tank?

I had the header tank replaced a few weeks back. I assume they replaced the coolant at the same time, and I assume it contains anti-freeze?

• Admin
Does the Porsche coolant contain anti-freeze?
Yes, either a 50/50 mix or for colder climates 60/40. The coolant is a special "lifetime" coolant that never needs to be changed (unless it leaks out of course).

Also, is this coolant resevoir the same thing as what we call header tank?

I had the header tank replaced a few weeks back. I assume they replaced the coolant at the same time, and I assume it contains anti-freeze?

Well, the part list calls it "water reservoir" and normal practice would be to replace any lost coolant with a water/coolant mix.