Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Change ignition coils!

Hello!

After my check engine light started to first flash a little and then lid I went to Porsche and checked out the problem, they say that the ignition coils on 1, 3 and 5th cylinder was the problems that created the lamp to start lid and that one or several probbably are cracked.

They also told me that the engine can go very unclean from this at low to middle RPMs. I have now driven my car for 2 weeks after the fault showed up the first time and everytime when the car havnt been started for +5h the check engine light start to flash after around 1-2 minutes of driving (I guess this means that the fault is rehapening) and then after a few seconds it starts to have a steady light again.

I guess this is something that I must take care of, is there any possibility that I can do this myself or is it a big job? I guess I have to remove rear bumper and maybe the coolers behind it? The porsche dealer want 1500US to fix it so if I can do it during a weekend without to much special equipment I think Ill give it a try at the same time as I lower the car.

Best regards

Jonas

• Admin

When the check engine light flashes that means that you have a problem serious enough to damage the catalytic converter and the car should not be driven.

Changing the coils is very simple. See the Spark Plug DIY here.

All you need to do is remove the rear wheels, remove the heat shield and then remove and replace the coils on each of the bad cylinders. Likely one hour to do it your self.

The part number for the coils is: 996 602 104 00

Thanks alot Loren!

Strange that the guy at Porsche didnt tell me it was serious when I told him that the light started to flash a few seconds every time I started the engine when it was really cold.

Does the cable and box usually break also so it is worth changing them at the same time?

Best regards

Jonas

I have heard of a few cars that are having problems with the intake lifters sticking and causing random misfires. This might be your problem if your coils are in good condition.

Also if you havent had your 30k, definately change the plugs first.

Thanks alot for the tip.

I have never got any misfires but when it is a little cold it feels a little unsteady in the RPM and when I press the clutch while driving around 3-4k RPM and remove the gas the RPMs go down towards 500 and then up to 1200 and down to 500 and up again before it get stable around 900RPM.

I wish my car only had went 30k, it have went a little above 110000km wich is around 70k miles I think, so I am planning to do the 120000km Service now and I think that service is including change of plugs.

Today something strange happened, after the light started to flash a few days ago I have not driven the car more then a couple of time and I will leave the car on 120000km service tomorrow with exchange of ignition coils if needed.

But tonight I took the car for a little drive and all of a sudden the light started to flash as soon as I come close or above 3000RPM so with Lorens warning words in my head (thanks Loren) I took it really soft and drove the car back home at 1000-2000 RPMs, what is the most probable cause that it can be when the car only runs below 3000RPM no matter of that it is warm or cold, and even more important, do I dare to drive the car to the Porsche center that is around 10 minutes driving from here?

Today something strange happened, after the light started to flash a few days ago I have not driven the car more then a couple of time and I will leave the car on 120000km service tomorrow with exchange of ignition coils if needed.

But tonight I took the car for a little drive and all of a sudden the light started to flash as soon as I come close or above 3000RPM so with Lorens warning words in my head (thanks Loren) I took it really soft and drove the car back home at 1000-2000 RPMs, what is the most probable cause that it can be when the car only runs below 3000RPM no matter of that it is warm or cold, and even more important, do I dare to drive the car to the Porsche center that is around 10 minutes driving from here?

The flashing MIL means that a misfire is happening at that instant, and this misfire can severely damage the catalytic convertors. What proof or evidence is there that the problem is caused by the ignition coils?

When you bring the car in for service, make sure you ask them to provide you with ALL the codes stored in the fault memory. They had a chance to fix it right one time, now you need to be involved with the repair.

The vehicles capability for measing an engine misfire is so sensitive, you may never feel the misfire. A lean fuel mixture could cause an engine misfire, and there maybe codes relating to the lean fuel mixture.

Ask them why they think the ignition coils are at fault, or are they just guessing.

Please let us know how it turns out. Thanks-Gary

Hello Gary!

Ive had my car on service now and the ignitioncoils that Porsche told me gave the misfires on the cylinders looked good but the sparkplugs was in a bad shape so they where sure that those was the thing that caused the misfires.

But... They also tell me that someone have removed the engine and removed the intakepipe for the fuel/air (Im not sure what its called but where the gas gets in to the engine) and then they have mounted it a little wrong so the engine is probbably getting a little wrong air/fuel % so that could also cause the problem and now they are trying to come up with a way to remove this intake without removing the engine.

It is only Porsche centers that have done anything with the engine, is it really that simple to put the intakes in the wrong way so the engine work but still not perfect? and what is the usual cause of why one have to remove the engine and intakepipe on such new car?

Im really hoping that they find a way to put the intake in the right position without removing the engine.

Best regards

Jonas

Porsche have now had the car for another week because it is misfiring on one of the banks at higher RPMs, it is not the Sparkplugs, or the coils

they have had 3 men looking at it soo far without coming to a conclusion and have asked the people in German for tip.

Anyone here that know a thing that can cause this things on 996TT that is unusual and not what they would look at?

It is only like 1month left before it is winter here in Sweden so I would really like to give them all advice I can so I get my car ASAP.

Best regards

Jonas