Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CDR23 To Changer Connections (03S)

Can anyone confirm what connections run between the CDR23 and the appropriate changer? Is the audio carried by fiber or regular RCA cables? I was wondering if installing a CD changer might allow me to do the Aux In "trick" where you allow the CDR23 to control the changer but feed the actual audio from another device.

I have an 03 Boxster S with CDR23 and Bose if it is relevant.

Thanks, Chris.

Edited by Loren

• Moderators
Can anyone confirm what connections run between the CDR23 and the appropriate changer? Is the audio carried by fiber or regular RCA cables? I was wondering if installing a CD changer might allow me to do the Aux In "trick" where you allow the CDR23 to control the changer but feed the actual audio from another device.

I have an 03 Boxster S with CDR23 and Bose if it is relevant.

Thanks, Chris.

On the CDR 23 the audio and control signals are digital via the fiber cable. Good thought, but not gonna work.

I have that very same one, and a Ground Loop do-dah too. Sound levels are low though so I need to crank up the CDR23 which is ok, until I decide to put a CD in then I blow my ears out. I need to fiddle with the gain on it although I have it high, that and my line out volume. I seem to be losing some of the highs in MP3 files so I'm also re-encoding at 192kbps instead of 128 to see if that helps.

Then I need to check the wiring running from the front trunk to the modulator to make sure it isn't picking up any more interference than I'm forced to deal with. A slow plod and too much time spent upside down in the footwell but I'm getting there!

These links are interesting too http://www.ppbb.com/scgi-bin/boards/986/main.pl?read=1032775 I've emaile Oasis for more information on this USB/Aux adapter.

• 3 weeks later...
On the CDR 23 the audio and control signals are digital via the fiber cable.  Good thought, but not gonna work.

I posted an idea similar to ukchris' not too long ago and have recently decided to buy a CDC-4 and harness to see if it would work. I knew the audio came through the optical feed; are you absolutely sure the changer data bus runs through the same?

Perhaps someone has a photo/diagram of the changer harness to help solve this. :)

• Admin
On the CDR 23 the audio and control signals are digital via the fiber cable.  Good thought, but not gonna work.

I posted an idea similar to ukchris' not too long ago and have recently decided to buy a CDC-4 and harness to see if it would work. I knew the audio came through the optical feed; are you absolutely sure the changer data bus runs through the same?

Perhaps someone has a photo/diagram of the changer harness to help solve this. :)

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=578

When you add a changer I assume the MOST configuration has to be updated so that the car/head unit allows it to work. So, if Becker made an Aux adapter for the CDR230 wouldn't it be fair to assume all you'd need is access to a PST2 to enable it and make it work?

I think I'll mail Becker. Last time I talked to them they just said it couldn't be done as Porsche had made it impossible, it seemed they were implying it could be done uner other circumstances, maybe enabling through the PST2 was what they were referring to?

Chris.