Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

wheel torque?

quick question.

i just realized my rear tire on my 04 C4s had a leak so i had the local gas station take a look at it (8PM, porsche dealership wasn't open)

anyways, the guy hand torqued the rear wheel after we found the leak and everything back onto the car. is that okay? like, to remove the wheel we used the flat tire equipment from the car. after the guy said the lugs were tightened, i personally checked all the lugs again. will my wheel fall off when i drive to work tomorrow? or should i call road side assistance and have them come torque the wheels?

You are fine but go buy yourself a torque wrench and a deep 19mm socket for the future. If you are really worried you can approximate the 96 ft-lbs that you need depending on how much you weigh. The emergency tool handle is about a foot long. If you weigh 150# then put your hand about 2/3s of the way out and put all of your weight on it. You can do the math depending on how much you weigh.

hand tight with a wrench is enough don't worry....

the wheel is actually held on by fiction force,,.between the wheel and hub.. not by the bolts....

You are fine but go buy yourself a torque wrench and a deep 19mm socket for the future.  If you are really worried you can approximate the 96 ft-lbs that you need depending on how much you weigh.  The emergency tool handle is about a foot long.  If you weigh 150# then put your hand about 2/3s of the way out and put all of your weight on it.  You can do the math depending on how much you weigh.

The more critcal aspect is that each lug is torqued to the same amount. Otherwise you put uneven stress on the brake rotors and they will warp over time as they go through heat cycles.

Also, hand torque is the way to go and never ever "machine torque" the wheels with an air impact wrench. If you are accustom to seeing tire shops use those to tighten your wheels, then you are accustom to seeing them doing it wrong all the time. They don't care -- it's not their car anyway. And no way you be able to pin warped rotors on them. There is no way they can accurately or consistently torque the lugs with those things. In fact, it's much better if your wheels never see those tools. They tend to easily scrap the finish as well.

Edited by PorschePRH

Loren, I 've found that licking the hub before mounting the tire also adds adhesion. Just leaves a funky after taste.

Kidding aside, the real friction comes from the normal force (pressure) the bolts exert on the hub. That is what keeps the wheel in place, Coulumb friction. There is more to the story with microasperities in the friction equation through Amonton's principle.

But PLEASE, use the bolts and torque to the 94 ftlbs.

:clapping:

This is one of those funny threads that makes me just think.....we're warped.........finding humor in bolts, friction force, and licking your hubs.

No wonder my wife thinks I'm nuts.  :D

lol, thanks for all the replies! it's been a few days, i guess my wheel isn't going to fall off..