Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OEM Turbo Spoiler on my C4S Cab

It was a tough job, but I made it work.

eg73o8.jpg

For starters, the decklid fits on the car, but it won't close due to the "pistons" that push up the spoiler at 75 mph. See other details here:

Discussion about making airbox work

It required the following modifications:

1) Move the air pump (aka smog pump)

2) Cut out part of and re-seal the airbox

3) Cut a new hole for air intake in the underplate of the turbo decklid

4) Seal the turbo air intake hole in the underplate of the turbo decklid

5) $50 for the new "badge"

Yes, I realize that I now have two center brakelights and it does look a little funny, but only the spoiler one lights up when I push the brake pedal.

post-6123-1128866533_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Looks great, I'm gonna try it myself this winter. A9, I'd pass on the mishagt2 wing, I had it, just too in your face, you'll be tired of it in a week.

haha, i think i'm going to pass because with it on, my car cover won't fit over it.

do you know what wing is this?

is this the misha wing?

post-5349-1129668976_thumb.jpg

post-5349-1129668995_thumb.jpg

Edited by a9jlu

Here is some more information on this:

I moved the smog pump by using the bracket that comes with an EVO air intake kit. I was able to secure one of these from the local shop: "Imagine Auto". It was the last one they had. It looks like this:

post-6123-1129678010_thumb.jpg

(the factory bracket is on the left)

This moved the air/smog pump out of the way like this:

post-6123-1129678186_thumb.jpg

Then I cut a section out of the airbox and used Bondo to seal it up.

post-6123-1129678341_thumb.jpg

(I am not very good with Bondo.)

Then, when I wasn't real happy with my bondo job, I bought an EVO induction kit and put it in there:

post-6123-1129678514_thumb.jpg

(The problem with this is that I don't like the way the EVO sounds, so I'll probably change back to the bad bondo airbox.

Very impressive, good 'ole KC engineering (I'm from KC myself), I'm def gonna try it this winter.

Did you use your elevator motor or a TT version for the functional blade?

The motor that moves the C4S spoiler up and down looks to be an electric one. The motor that moves the Turbo spoiler looks like it is hydraulic.

I don't think you could use the C4S motor if you wanted to. I bought the decklid off of someone who puts on other aftermarket decklids. It was complete and the hydraulic motor was already in it. You just connect the wire to the plug that the C4S decklid was plugged into.

• 9 years later...

I bought a turbo deck lid based on this thread. I spent tons of time painting the deck lid and wing to match my car, speed yellow. I went to install the deck lid and it doesn't fit! I didn't pre-fit the deck lid as this thread made it sound like the deck lid fits perfectly, beyond the modifications under the hood.

So.... What's the deal?

I have a 2004 C4S coupe.

Is the cab different than a coupe?

Where did you have problems?  I remember reading another thread where he had to cut ~2"? off of the lid at the bumper.  Is that where yours had problems?

The reflector didn't seem to be an issue as the turbo deck lid has the same shape. When the turbo deck lid sits on the car, the mounting points for the deck lid hinges are not the same. Also the turbo deck lid is longer by about 1-2". Basically, the shape is fine, but the deck lid hangs off the back of the car too far!

Where did you have problems?  I remember reading another thread where he had to cut ~2"? off of the lid at the bumper.  Is that where yours had problems?

The reflector didn't seem to be an issue as the turbo deck lid has the same shape. When the turbo deck lid sits on the car, the mounting points for the deck lid hinges are not the same. Also the turbo deck lid is longer by about 1-2". Basically, the shape is fine, but the deck lid hangs off the back of the car too far!

I should also add... There are multiple part numbers for the deck lid. Can anyone chime in if the kids are actually different sizes for different model year 996 turbo's. I don't know the difference from one to another.

• 2 years later...

The 'Turbo' decklid appears to be a direct fit for the 996-2 C4S Cab, but not so for the Coupe.  The filler piece needs to be changed out for the Turbo filler piece (the spacer on the Coupe between the rear window and the decklid - on the C4S it houses the third brake light) which is narrower and does not have a slot for the third brake light as this is relocated to the decklid wing.  So my question remains, how do you remove the C4S filler piece - some sources say it is held in with torx screws; or it snaps in; or worst case it is welded in!  Bottom line, I need to remove the C4S filler piece (which is too wide by an inch or two) and install the Turbo filler piece - which can be sourced at Pelican - but of course Pelican doesn't have instructions on how to remove the C4S filler piece - - - erg!

On 8/19/2015 at 2:06 AM, sunshine911 said:

I bought a turbo deck lid based on this thread. I spent tons of time painting the deck lid and wing to match my car, speed yellow. I went to install the deck lid and it doesn't fit! I didn't pre-fit the deck lid as this thread made it sound like the deck lid fits perfectly, beyond the modifications under the hood.

So.... What's the deal?

I have a 2004 C4S coupe.

Is the cab different than a coupe?

Did you ever come with a 'fit' solution for the Turbo decklid?  I have a 2003 C4S and am trying to make the same change out. 

• 6 months later...
On 10/19/2005 at 2:23 PM, navin in KC said:

The motor that moves the C4S spoiler up and down looks to be an electric one. The motor that moves the Turbo spoiler looks like it is hydraulic.

I don't think you could use the C4S motor if you wanted to. I bought the decklid off of someone who puts on other aftermarket decklids. It was complete and the hydraulic motor was already in it. You just connect the wire to the plug that the C4S decklid was plugged into.

Had a question on this. So the deck lid was a straight plug in to c4s plug to work the blade? or was the lid modified with a motor to work with c4s motor. Please explain more. I’m gonna do the same and need more info

thanks

I described this previously in this same thread, The deck lid from a Turbo fits directly onto the C4s but the underside does require some slight modification:

read the rest of this thread where I even attached pictures.   if you have questions, I can try to help but I don't have my C4S any more.

Scott

Edited by navin in KC

• 4 years later...
On 10/9/2005 at 10:12 AM, navin in KC said:

http://tinypic.com/eg73o8.jpg

For starters, the decklid fits on the car, but it won't close due to the "pistons" that push up the spoiler at 75 mph. See other details here:

Yes, I realize that I now have two center brakelights and it does look a little funny, but only the spoiler one lights up when I push the brake pedal.

Is that because of it being a Cab? I’m thinking about adding an oem trunk/spoiler to my c4s coupe. 

On 10/9/2005 at 10:12 AM, navin in KC said:

http://tinypic.com/eg73o8.jpg

Edited by Danny_T
delete