Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBDII codes reader vs. Porsche system tester

My 996 has tripped the CEL a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. I went to an independent shop today to get the codes read. They inform me that the Porsche System Tester should be used because it gives more information with regard to Porsche than a regular OBDII reader. They claim OBDII reader just gives generic codes while the PST2 gives more specific and detailed information regarding the codes. Of course there is a substantial increase in cost to use the PST2 (only one guy uses it) vs. an OBDII reader. Is true or am I being upsold something that is really no benefit? There was no one at the local stealership to confirm or deny this information (Porsche guy was on vacation). Any experiences?

Thanks,

Brian

My 996 has tripped the CEL a couple of times in the last couple of weeks.  I went to an independent shop today to get the codes read.  They inform me that the Porsche System Tester should be used because it gives more information with regard to Porsche than a regular OBDII reader.  They claim OBDII reader just gives generic codes while the PST2 gives more specific and detailed information regarding the codes.  Of course there is a substantial increase in cost to use the PST2 (only one guy uses it) vs. an OBDII reader.  Is true or am I being upsold something that is really no benefit?  There was no one at the local stealership to confirm or deny this information (Porsche guy was on vacation).  Any experiences?

Thanks,

Brian

It's true. Certain codes such as the ABS subsystem, can only be read with a PST2.

I believe a generic OBDII reader can read all the codes but may not give the correct definition of the code. So the reader will tell you if there is an active code but you may have to check the meaning of the code with the Porsche OBDII manual.

There are certain functions that only a PST2 or PIWIS can do however, such as opening the valves for the ABS/PSM systems, clearing the airbag light, etc.

• Admin
The Baum scanner will also read those other systems, and give the factory codes

With all due respect please note the Baum scanner with the Porsche option is about $4000. About the same price that you can pick up a used PST2. I'm sure both will do a great job and both will test/report much more than the $100 generic scanners.