Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche TE Roll Bar Installation Guide

Some notes on the Tequipment rollbar install in a GT3:

Thanks to Rockitman, WolfgangK and the other posters above for very valuable information. These notes simply add detail and opinion to their instructions, read the foregoing instructions first.

Bolts: believe the posts above and throw away the bolts (they are garbage) that come with the kit, get your own Grade 8 bolts (from McMasterCarr) or other source like a friend who fabricates roll cages. They are 7/16" fine thread; standard not metric because, I was told, all seat belt mounts are the same per DOT requirements. I doubted the statements that better bolts make the job easier, but ended up cross threading one of the original bolts (2nd of 4 bolts) and found out the statement was accurate, no matter how much more careful than everyone else I thought I could be. I removed the first very slightly crossthreaded bolt and put in four grade 8 bolts. They went in with no hassles, the good hardware were significantly easier to thread and install. I used 2.75" bolts for the front mounts and 2" bolts for the rear mount points. Buy some washers for fine spacing.

2 person job: even though the bar is not heavy, getting it into the car without scratching anything or breaking the windshield needs 2 people or a large amount of time. You don't need help removing the seats or getting the car ready (pulling out clothes hangers and belt height adjuster cover), but will need help to get the bar lined up and bolted in. Lining everything up and bolting in is the toughest part of the install--I didn't see the need for ratchet straps, but a reasonably strong helper to align and hold one side while you bolt in the other should be considered a requirement. I did not need to remove the rear view mirror, but it was a close fit.

GT3 plugs: rather than cutting the carpeting to get to the plugs, I found it much easier to pull the carpet back; although you will still need a razor blade to cut the carpet later so that the rear bar mount bolt can be passed through the carpet. To expose the plugs, you need to just loosen the side panel (which you should already have done as part of the cutting of the rocker plastic under the carpet) and pull the carpet down from the corner of the rear compartment where the top of the seat back would be if the GT3 had rear seats. Then, it's relatively easy to unscrew the plugs (see the black circle below the very center of the photo). The plugs are friction plugs and can be ripped right out without damage to the car but they are easiest to get out by unscrewing. The carpet lays back down in its original place without any trace of disturbance.

post-1253-1178736666_thumb.jpg post-1253-1178736885_thumb.jpg

Seat belt height adjuster covers: use a plastic serving spoon or some other professional, non-marring lever between what the seat belt goes through and the plastic cover next to it and just pop the adjuster cover off, use a little force. Don't try to first remove the plastic cover because you don't think the whole thing will just pop off (it does). If you do end up doing that, don't worry the whole thing just takes a few minutes to figure out how it all goes back together.

With Grade 8 bolts ready ahead of time, total time from start to end should have been around 2.5 hours (for a shade-tree mechanic taking his time). I would wager that a pro could do it in an hour or less.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks to you all for the excellent help. Thanks for posting the vid, Sparky. Vey helpful.

The only thing somewhat vague in the prior posts was removing the side panel to cut the trim. Here is a link to a Rennlist thread with excellent instructions and a blow up of the involved parts, courtesy of Doug Donsbach: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...ad.php?t=403000

UPDATE:

The roll bar is in. Wanted to add my voice to the choir that says it can be done. Emphasize that the prep is what makes it all easy in the end. Take your time, read all the posts, watch SparkyRacers's vid, and it will be a very rewarding DIY.

In case anyone is wondering, the sunroof does not interfere with either the rotation or placement of the roll bar.

Thanks again to Renntech.

Edited by Palting 996 C4S

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I am in the process of installing a tequipment rollbar in my 996 cabrio. I modified the rocker panel as suggested in other threads and I am able to bolt in the front passenger side bolt but on the driver side bolt it seems the front leg does not reach close enough to the bolt area for me to start threading it in. I tried using force to spread the legs to get it close to the hole but there is not enough give... or strength in me.

I think I saw an earlier thread to use longer bolts but cant seem to find that one again.

Any suggestions on what I can do or people who have run into this?

thanks!
george

• 6 years later...

George, I am having the same problem. I cut the plastic side panels and re fit the carpet, but the bar attachment point nearest the driver seat doesn't seem to catch the threads.  It is a 2.75" bolt.  But not threaded all the way to the end. Just threads starting about 3/8ths of an inch from the tip of the bolt.
What did you do

FYI Rentech, I purchased new bolts about 1/2 inch longer from Fastenal.  Grade 8, 7/16 Fine thread, they caught the threads just fine and Bar is now installed. My theory is that i may not hve cut enough plastic out of the side panel. I used the template but. . . 

Anyway, bar is in and solidly attached to 996 body.  I am happy.