Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cabrio Top Hydraulic Fluid Step by Step

• 1 month later...

does anyone know if the 996 cabriolet top compartment lid lifting apparatus is supplied by this same reservoir? my passenger side wont lift the lid open or closed and ive manually assisted it the last two days to open and close it .

Yes, the cabrio top "clamshell" is operated by the same system.

EDIT: No, it isn't. The clamshell is operated by a motor that drives a dual-rack and pinion gear to push a pair of sliders that move the clamshell and latches.

I too had a some difficulty finding the right hydraulic fluid. I couldn't find Pentosin CHF 11S anywhere locally. I called my local Porsche dealer, and they said that the Pentosin CHF 11S (Porsche P/N 000 043 203 33) has been superceded by Pentosin CHF 202 (Porsche P/N 000 403 206 56). I don't think the 202 is better, it's just that Porsche isn't stocking the 11S anymore.

Picked up a liter of the Pentosin 202 for $21.77 with my PCA discount. Not bad for a dealer!

post-56687-0-38051800-1335445363.jpg

The rectangular silver can of Pentosin 202 states that it is compatible with the 11S.

I see that Pentosin 11S is available on Amazon, and probably on other websites.

Edited by frisbee91
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

OK Thanks for the great tutorial and subsequent information which I just invested some time to read (every post).

Really basic question that I didn't see anyone asked before this....How do I do this work if my top is stuck in the 'down' position? :(

Is there a way to get the canvas top and the metal shround (part of the car) up maually? Once I learn how to get the top up I feel confident I can do the refill with all the posts I read. :) Thanks, Apterr

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this incredible tutorial! I was able to go get Pentosin from my independent for $20. I got the tubing at lowes for .42 cents. The syringe was free at Walgreen's. All fixed for $20.00. I hope I don't have a major leak, but at least I know how to sort things out now. Only mess up is I lost the washer. Hope that doesn't cause any problems. I will monitor it pretty close for a while. The top works like new again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin

Pentosin CHF 11S or Pentosin 202 can be used, I wouldn't try anything else.

So the 11s has been superseded by the 202? I can buy either of these at my local Advance Auto Parts. Which one should I get?

Thanks for the awesome tutorial and info!

It does not make any difference they are 100% compatible.

The 11S is likely older stock though...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

On my '04 996TT the pump and reservoir are installed horizontally, not vertically like shown in the DIY. A small bracket mounts the pump assembly to the vertical body panel. In this position the fill plug is pointing downwards, so I assume that I'm going to have to remove a few pieces to maneuver the pump and reservoir into position so that it can be filled. Interestingly I haven't read any other comments from people with this setup, so for now I assume that this change came with the 996.2 body update. Something to consider if you are going to do this repair. Cheers.

EDIT: It turns out that the cap is located on the "bottom" of the plastic reservoir on the driver's side (it screws in horizontally). There is no need to remove (or even loosen) the pump assembly. The syringe with a small diameter tubing will easily empty the old fluid and allow you to fill with new. 

Edited by wkoperwhats
Additional Information
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I have an '04 996 C4S and mine also has the pump and reservoir horizontally like Wkoperwhats.  I've attached a photo.  The hex plug on mine was 4mm, not 5mm.

I was not so lucky. I did successfully fill the reservoir, but I can now see I'm going to have to replace the seal on the right side actuator.  After filling the reservoir, the telltale hydraulic fluid is on the garage floor just in front of my right rear tire. 

cabrio pump.JPG