Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

i hv a MY05 997 C2 w/tip.

after longer drives (i.e. 50+km), the ignition key would be jammed (when trying to extract the key). exact symptoms are:

1) place gear selector in "P"

2) turn off ignition

3) attempt to remove key - you can't

4) alarm chimes & display shows "Move selector to P" message

5) wait anything up to five minutes, then key can be easily extracted (as if nothing happened to start with).

since it only happens on longer drives + my front license plate blocks a portion of my front radiator (which houses the transmission radiator), wondering if problem is being caused by an overheated transmission? also wondering if there's a TSB on this??

• Admin

There are a couple of new TSBs for 997 both of which are Workshop Service Actions. These are VIN specific and are required on a "next visit" basis. Since your car is under warranty I think it would be wise to take it and have them check the Tiptronic controller with their PIWIS tester for faults and correct actuation. It looks to me like the selector in "P" is not registering with the controller - could be mechanical or could be electronic.

There actually is a service action calling for replacement of the entire shifter in tiptronic vehicles of certain 987 and 997 vehicles, its service action W553. A call to your dealer with your VIN in hand will let them check to see if there are any open service actions out on your vehicle.

Edited by PTEC

Ok I just did some research on the W553 service action and it looks like this one is definately for you. Heres what it says.

This is to inform you of a voluntary Workshop Service Action on certain 2005 model year 911 Carrera

(997) and 911 Carrera S (997) vehicles. It is possible that the ignition key cannot be removed

from the ignition lock after driving the vehicle for approx. one hour. This problem arises

when the plastic tappet on the key lock magnet becomes deformed due to the heat.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello Loren,

My friend's early 2006 997 Tiptronic shows exactly the same problem.

In the TSB I noticed there is a Workshop Service Action W553 to replace a selector handle support to overcome the problem.

However we do not see the relation between replacing this selector handle support and avoiding thus an 'overheating' of a plastic tappet in the ignition lock area.

1.Could you give some more background on this issue and explain the relation between the problem and its solution ?

2. Would it be possible for you to send me (by email or through the forum?) a copy of workshop manual instruction 370 819.

Thank you in advance,

Alfred

• Admin

1. Just having the key in the ignition activates circuits in the car. Because of the problem with the selector support you can not remove the key and the magnet circuit over heats.

That is how I understand it...

2. This is covered under warranty - I sent you a PM.

• 2 years later...

Thanks so much for responding. I don't mind doing the DIY and I do see several articles posted on how to do it. How do I know if it is really the ignition switch or something in the Tiptronic? I see there is a "park" sensor in that, which would explain why the lock either won't release the key, or won't allow you to insert it...

Thanks so much for responding. I don't mind doing the DIY and I do see several articles posted on how to do it. How do I know if it is really the ignition switch or something in the Tiptronic? I see there is a "park" sensor in that, which would explain why the lock either won't release the key, or won't allow you to insert it...

The business with the car holding the key hostage electronically only applies to 9x7 cars.

Yours sounds like a mechanical failure of the lock itself. (or switch behind it).

Bill

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Start with removing the electrical portion on the rear of the ignition switch (2 screws). If the situation remains the same, you can still remove the ignition switch afterwards.

• Upvote 1

I replaced the igntion switch this weekend. I got the part from NAPA for $11.12 and the DIY made it a snap. The key and lock work perfectly now! Apparently there was some binding on the switch itself, such that I could only insert or remove the key by twisting the lock mechaism to the left. Works great now. I had also noticed that the heater fan was intermittent, and that problem is fixed now too. The only issue I had is that the battery drained. I had left the key in it and apparently that powers up some circuits, so I had to jump start the car. Again, all is well now, and thanks to everyone for all the help!

• 4 years later...