Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Surging and Jerking In Reverse 1st and 2nd

Hello,

I have a 2003 996 manual transmission with 29,000 miles. I have brought the car into Beverly Hills Porsche several times and they tell me their diagnostics cannot find a problem with the car and they will not fix it if they cannot reproduce it. Which, of course, makes sense.

When I put the car in reverse or first, especially after having been parked for a few hours or more, it surges sometimes very violently. It does this only sporadically but at least every couple days and often many times on the same day. Sometimes it happens when in reverse and then again when put into first. Giving the car extra throttle even with my left foot completely off the clutch pedal usually does NOT help at all. The jerking is very violent and it will do this up to 5-6 times in a rapid succession of jerking. Is this the DME/egas software problem or is it the Variocam or is it something entirely different?

Incidentally, and I am unsure if this is related, I am intermittently getting very nasty gear grinding noise when going from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. The noise is really unpleasant. When it happens taking the shifter back to neutral and then back into gear with clutch pedal still completely pushed down to floor does not help and I will continue to grind loudly each time I try to put it into gear without ever releasing the clutch. Finally, I am forced to put it in neutral, take my foot off the clutch, reengage the clutch, and it lets me get into gear. When merging onto the highway it can be pretty scary hearing the grinding and finding myself suddenly unable to accelerate stuck in neutral temporarily while I release and renegage clutch!

THANKS!

Your transmission sounds like it is fried, as well as the clutch. But if the service tech can't reproduce the problem, then ask him to accompany you while you drive the car around and point it out to him when it occurs. Perhaps you are just shifting incorrectly (I know, even if it's highly unlikely) and he could point out to you what you are doing wrong.

As an aside, you can always try another dealer. I can't imagine that Beverly Hills is going to have the most patient people. Here in New York, I drive the car 30 miles out of the city for service.

Your transmission sounds like it is fried, as well as the clutch. But if the service tech can't reproduce the problem, then ask him to accompany you while you drive the car around and point it out to him when it occurs. Perhaps you are just shifting incorrectly (I know, even if it's highly unlikely) and he could point out to you what you are doing wrong.

As an aside, you can always try another dealer. I can't imagine that Beverly Hills is going to have the most patient people. Here in New York, I drive the car 30 miles out of the city for service.

Have the dealer or independent check the hydraulic slave cylinder for the clutch. I had this issue on another car, what happens is the hydraulic fluid (when the car is cold) is not as high as it should be, so the catch point on the clutch is very low (hence the violent jerking). Of course, after the car warmed up (and there was pressure in the system) it was fine. Being in beverly hills, I would gamble you realize it more when the temperature is real cold?

Agreed with nycebo... where do you take the car?

Edited by rcg412

RCG412,

I go to Pepe Porsche in White Plains, NY. Have tried Manhattan Motorcars and New Country in Greenwich (which wasn't bad when it was independently owned) and they always seem to give me the runaround on service and screw me on pricing. That's what nice about Pepe: they're independently owned, the shop only services Porsche, and they handle my warranty needs. Maybe after warranty is up after two years, I'll try an indy, but frankly, Marc and John at Pepe have always been very responsive to my needs.

Have you considered cleaning the idle air control valve? Other vehicles of mine have experienced similar problems due to IAC not working properly due to contamination. Its a cheap and simple fix. Although, I'm not certain that the egas cars even have an IAC? Loren?

• 5 months later...

Help! I am having this exact problem that Bagman describes in his first paragraph. As far as his second symptom, mine isn't really grinding as much, but the shifter as gotten more loose in the past day and it doesn't shift smoothly 1-2 and 2-3.

I'd like to know what the possibilities are before I take it in....

Did anyone find the outcome of Bagman's situation?

THANK YOU!

Hello,

I have a 2003 996 manual transmission with 29,000 miles. I have brought the car into Beverly Hills Porsche several times and they tell me their diagnostics cannot find a problem with the car and they will not fix it if they cannot reproduce it. Which, of course, makes sense.

When I put the car in reverse or first, especially after having been parked for a few hours or more, it surges sometimes very violently. It does this only sporadically but at least every couple days and often many times on the same day. Sometimes it happens when in reverse and then again when put into first. Giving the car extra throttle even with my left foot completely off the clutch pedal usually does NOT help at all. The jerking is very violent and it will do this up to 5-6 times in a rapid succession of jerking. Is this the DME/egas software problem or is it the Variocam or is it something entirely different?

Incidentally, and I am unsure if this is related, I am intermittently getting very nasty gear grinding noise when going from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. The noise is really unpleasant. When it happens taking the shifter back to neutral and then back into gear with clutch pedal still completely pushed down to floor does not help and I will continue to grind loudly each time I try to put it into gear without ever releasing the clutch. Finally, I am forced to put it in neutral, take my foot off the clutch, reengage the clutch, and it lets me get into gear. When merging onto the highway it can be pretty scary hearing the grinding and finding myself suddenly unable to accelerate stuck in neutral temporarily while I release and renegage clutch!

THANKS!

May sound untechnical but I had this problem where you would start to go and the car would surge ahead and then jerk back almost like a bucking horse. Ended up being the springs on the throttle body and the gas pedal being weak and the cable would pull and then let some slack so your fut on the gas ended up making it go back and forth!

May sound untechnical but I had this problem where you would start to go and the car would surge ahead and then jerk back almost like a bucking horse. Ended up being the springs on the throttle body and the gas pedal being weak and the cable would pull and then let some slack so your fut on the gas ended up making it go back and forth!

Thanks for the info...I will have my shop check this out, along with the hydraulic slave cylinder for the clutch.

Any other ideas?