Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adjusting B&M Shifter

• Admin

Nope, the blue tool fits the B&M shifter.

Before the blue tool existed Tool Pants and I used the orange tool to check the cable alignment -before- we removed the original shifter. Then you mark or count the threads on each cable to the end (when properly aligned). When you install the B&M you put the cables in the exact same (aligned) spots.

Thanks Loren. I marked the cables as you described when I installed it. It worked fine but after a couple of years of racing I'm having trouble every now and then. Specifically shifting from 2nd to 3rd at red line. I thought I would check the alignment.

As always, thanks for the info. I'll order the blue one.

Jim

• Moderators

I met Geoff in November and checked out the blue tool. I do not think it will fit on a B&M because the metal shaft is fat and the "pinchers" may not clip on. But I have never tried it on a B&M. If the blue tool works with a B&M then let us know because I will then buy one.

There is also a white tool but it is identical to the orange tool, and neither will work on a B&M.

post-4-1137634817_thumb.jpg

post-4-1137635005_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Make sure to verify the part number that is on the tool. Just in case there are 2 different versions of the blue tool.

If I had Geoff's blue tool I would try it out on one of the local owners that has a B&M, but Geoff is in Southern California.

His tool came with the Porsche 997/987 short shift. But this short shift is not like the B&M or the black Porsche clone that Porsche used on the 996/986.

• Moderators
The blue tool I borrowed did not work. I'll post the p/n later just in case there is a different one. Looking at the B&M, it would have to be a very different tool to work.

Too bad. But at least you tried. And I suspected the blue tool would not work because the B&M/Porsche clone has a fat shift lever with a "hump" in it and you would not be able to clip the tool on. This was the same problem with the orange tool or the white version. The blue tool for the Porsche factory 997/987 short shift does not solve this problem.

When the black Porsche clone (original B&M blue) came out for the 996/986 Peter and I went through the tool catalog and the Porsche computer to see if there was a new tool for the Porsche clone, since we could use it on the B&M. Nothing. Then he showed me the white tool, but it was identical to the orange tool.

The search for the Holy Grail contines....

post-4-1137719288_thumb.jpg

post-4-1137719711_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any one can let me use this blue, white, red, orange tool? so I can clone and re-engineer for B&M short shift?

It seems to me B&M do not make one and I guess if you waited long enough.. make one by your self.. :D

I have to cast one out from original factory tool and then add wide size in center for B&M spec.

Any volunteers?

Any one can let me use this blue, white, red, orange tool? so I can clone and re-engineer for B&M short shift?

It seems to me B&M do not make one and I guess if you waited long enough.. make one by your self.. :D

I have to cast one out from original factory tool and then add wide size in center for B&M spec.

Any volunteers?

I have the original blue tool Tool Pant's referenced in his post, and Torrance is a lot closer to me than San Jose (somehow I never get up there when they work on cars). Want to get together one of these weekends so you can see it and try to make a B&M clone? I can see your speaker bracket at the same time :D

part number?

I got the part number from old photos from ToolPants... and already start to reverse engineer this alignment clip. I can see where the center is and related keypoint corners. I am going to order it from sunset imports or Geoff will let me cast his alignment clip. so I can measure it and add oval shape for B&M shift. Can't wait ... :D

post-3964-1148958705_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I always said I would try to make a shift lever centering tool for a B&M/Porsche clone, and then retire.

If I were you I would start with the green version, because it has an arch to it, unlike the almost flat versions of the red and white tools.

I was not able to order Geoff's blue version because it had a standard 997 part number, and not a tool part number. Plus his blue version is identical to my green version. Porsche is a funny company. They put part numbers on the back of the tool, but it is not a tool part number. Tool part numbers start with 000 721 - then you know it is a tool. My green version is 000 721 961 91 when you order it as a tool.

The "pinchers" of the tool are not wide enough for the fatter B&M shaft. I also think you would need to raise the arch even more than the green tool so that the pinchers can snap onto the shaft.

These pictures are of the green tool on a spare standard 996/986 shift tower, so they are just a guide. I wish I had a B&M loaded in the tower so I could take measurements.

post-4-1148963595_thumb.jpg

post-4-1148963659_thumb.jpg

post-4-1148963889_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Please forgive my ignorance as I am not too mechanically inclined, but is this "Holy Grail" tool required to properly adjust a B&M shifter? :eek: I am about to purchase a B&M SSK, but want to make sure that the mechanic can adjust it properly as I do not want to go a step backwards with the install of this SSK. Everyone loves the B&M, but I want to make sure I do this properly.