Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

iPOD with CDR24 and HK Drive&Play

A lot of people try to connect an iPOD to their 987 or 997, but with the introduction if the MOST-bus based systems this became quite difficult.

An AUX socket is not available, the famous IceLink also does not (yet) support the new systems and the FM Transmitters (i.e. iTRIP) do not really deliver a good sound.

So the only soultion today seems to be the Harman Kardon Drive&Play system http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx

This can be connected through a hard-wired FM splitter and therefore also works with the latest Porsche systems as long as they use only one antenna (it will most propably not work with PCMII).

I installed this in my 05 Boxster and here are some tips and hints on how to do it:

MECHANICS:

The Drive&Play has a separate display and control know which need to be installed within reach but without disturbing too much. Of course you can glue the display to your dash, but I preferred smoother option.

I fabricated a DIY bracket (bent steel/sheet metal covered with leather) which sits near the gear lever. This is fixed to the center consol on an existing screw beneath the covers, so it can be removed without leaving signs if needed. Here are some pix:

post-578-1140879004.jpg

post-578-1140879048.jpg

There are many other options, but this one works quite well.

To connect it to the radio you first have to remove this. Here you will find a nice description and a link to a pdf-file with pictures:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0...n=0&page=1&vc=1

Please be aware that the picture in that posting with the PIN layout is NOT of a CDR23 or CDR24, so forget this.

One you have the radio out you can connect the devices, which leads me to my second chapter:

ELECTRICS:

To connect the Drive&Play to the CDR24 you need to use the antenna splitter which is part of the D&P system. Unfortunatly this does not fit easily, you need two adapters for the antenna (FAKRA <-> DIN).

You can get them at www.crutchfield.com part #12040EU20 and #12040EU10 or in car hifi shops (I bought mine at Multi Media (Germany)).

post-578-1140879562.jpg

post-578-1140879575.jpg

The 12V Power supply is a bit tricky. The CDR24 does not have a switched 12V socket (# 15) like the other Becker radios, so you have two choices:

- Find switched 12V somewhere else (I did not succeed and gave up after 3 hours and dismantling half of the car :unsure:

- Use the 12V socket in the footwell of the Boxster.

I used the second option which works quite fine for me. You have to turn on-off the D&P system manually, but even if you forget to turn it off it doesn't harm. Once the playlist of the iPOD is done, the Drive&Play turns itself off after an hour (you just need to make sure that you do not endlessly repeat the playlist).

All the cables disappear behind the covers, there's enough space for all the extra stuff. The cable for the iPOD goes into the glove box from the back. The iPOD sits in the glove box and does not need to be touched during operation.

QUALITY:

Well, this is the only point which leaves some room for improvement. The quality is far better than any Transmitter I tried, but it does not match the quality of the AUX-input I use in my 996 with the TrafficPro.

I am not the HiFi guru and for me it is fine, but if you turn it loud you will hear some minor 'noise' between the songs.

SUMMARY:

I would do it again and I can live with all the Pro's and Con's, but everybody needs to check this by himself. For the ~200$ you get a nice solution which works quite good. It's not perfect and maybe one day there is something better on the market... but until then it seems to be the best stuff you can get for your Boxster.

Wolfgang

• Moderators

An in-line FM transmitter is the best solution currently available for MOST based cars, but the Harman Kardon Drive&Play system is not necessary to use it. All of the in-line FM transmitters have line-in inputs on them and an iPod, or Sat radio, MP3 player etc. can be played directly through them.

An excellent quality in-line FM transmitter can be had for under $50.

If yes , please tell us which one, because my understanding is that in town, they are pretty useless.

An in-line FM modulator gets around the problem of crowded FM spectrum by hard-wiring from the aux device output (headphone jack on an iPod) to the FM antenna. He's not talking about a short-range FM transmitter-type FM modulator.

Here's an in-line FM modulator of the sort he's recommending. No, it isn't golden-ear audiophile approved. But it is likely to be an acceptable solution for many.

l142FMMOD01-f.jpeg

Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator - Play your iPod, satellite radio tuner, or other portable music player through any FM car stereo

• Moderators
Orient Express, is there such a thing as 'an excellent FM transmitter'?

If yes , please tell us which one, because my understanding is that in town, they are pretty useless.

JimR answers your question.

There are 2 connection methods using FM radio. One is the over-the-air transmitter which is hit or miss. This solution uses a very low power FM transmitter that relies on having a clean frequency for your radio to tune to with no adjacent FM stations. This is almost impossible to find in urban areas. The distance between the car's antenna and the FM transmitter is crucial, and as you travel from area to area, the radio/transmitter combination may have to be tuned to another frequency as to not to compete with over the air stations. I do not recommend this solution.

The other is an in-line FM transmitter. This solution also transmits an FM signal, but it connects directly to the antenna input on your car's radio for a stronger and clearer signal. In addition when the in-line unit is on, it disconnects the car's external antenna from the radio, thus removing the interference problem from strong local FM stations.

With the inline unit, the downside of an FM transmitter remains, which is the limited dynamic range and frequency response of the FM signal. But the issue of multi-path distortion and clear channel competition is eliminated.

• 2 weeks later...

An in-line FM modulator gets around the problem of crowded FM spectrum by hard-wiring from the aux device output (headphone jack on an iPod) to the FM antenna. He's not talking about a short-range FM transmitter-type FM modulator.

Here's an in-line FM modulator of the sort he's recommending. No, it isn't golden-ear audiophile approved. But it is likely to be an acceptable solution for many.

l142FMMOD01-f.jpeg

Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator - Play your iPod, satellite radio tuner, or other portable music player through any FM car stereo

Has anyone installed the Scosche unit? It seems like the best method to connect an iPod.

Edited by Mike - Seattle

• 8 months later...

l142FMMOD01-f.jpeg

Has anyone installed the Scosche unit? It seems like the best method to connect an iPod.

I'd like to know too!

Also, what about te antenna, do we need the adpater as shown in the earlier post or are the connections on the Scosche compatible?

Al

As you've probably seen on Rennlist and other boards the Dice/Dension unit is now becoming available for connecting Ipods and this even more desirable if you have PCM like me. I'm interested in the Dension unit, but don't want to be the first to install since there were some issues in testing the unit.

Anyone done the Scosche unit?

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bump this up to the top......anyone tried the Scosche unit??? The stealership that I'm getting my Boxster from said that they can do an in-line fm transmitter instillation for me for a cool $799. I'm gonna hold out for a bit and see what else is out there for cheaper.

Just wanted to bump this up to the top......anyone tried the Scosche unit??? The stealership that I'm getting my Boxster from said that they can do an in-line fm transmitter instillation for me for a cool $799. I'm gonna hold out for a bit and see what else is out there for cheaper.

Jonesy, these Scosche units are less the $30, I'd have one already if they were available locally. With this available why would you even consider spending $800??

As soon as I can find an online source with reasonable shipping to Canada, I'll be ordering one.

• 1 month later...

Jonesy, these Scosche units are less the $30, I'd have one already if they were available locally. With this available why would you even consider spending $800??

As soon as I can find an online source with reasonable shipping to Canada, I'll be ordering one.

yo if anyone done it please advise with pictures and i'll try to take pictures for DIY halogen to xenon HID ... please help I don't want to pay 300 for FM install when we really can do it ourselves

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that this is the same thing as the Scosche unit:

Metra AntennaWorks Wired FM Stereo Modulator 44-FMMOD02

http://www.myradiostore.com/fmmodulators/m...44-fmmod02.html

I think you will need an antenna adapter, but MyRadioStore has 7 different antenna adapter for VW/Audi/European cars. So you might have to call to get the correct adapter.

And it looks like it is in stock. I haven't used it, since I have a CDR-220, but I've bought all my XM stuff from this website and have had good luck with them.