Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question on PSE full install

I have finished the muffler installation & am starting on the wiring for the PSE. I am a pretty fair shade tree mechanic, but all my previous Porsche experience is with a 928, whose V8 and big hood were much more familiar territory to me.

I am stalled on TSB Step 1.33. I have removed the throttle body, but am unsure exactly what I am looking for in the 2 rubber sleeves immediately adjoining it …. or (as I guess they mean) the 2 additional sleeves further from the back of the car (beyond the throttle). The “no-yes” decision tree simply has me stumped on what needs to be accomplished with the rubber sleeve/connection nipple that comes with the PSE kit.

Can someone expand on this portion of the install? I feel fairly confident about the rest of the vacuum and electrical hookups.

Thanks

Kim

2000 Cab

You need to tap into the vaccum system and need to replace the rubber ring (sleeve) that attaches to the throttle body. Compare your PSE parts and you will find a 4" rubber ring that has a nipple molded to it.

I replaced the right-side (passenger-side) rubber sleeve with the suppled one with the nipple. This is where you will add the vacuum line. On mine, the left-side already had a sleeve with a nipple for another existing vacuum part.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

You need to tap into the vaccum system and need to replace the rubber ring (sleeve) that attaches to the throttle body. Compare your PSE parts and you will find a 4" rubber ring that has a nipple molded to it.

I replaced the right-side (passenger-side) rubber sleeve with the suppled one with the nipple. This is where you will add the vacuum line. On mine, the left-side already had a sleeve with a nipple for another existing vacuum part.

Thanks, sleeves on both sides of my throttle have vacuum nipples in use. I shudder at the thought of going to the ones behind this first row.

Another look at Orient Express' DIY seems to indicate that he utilized an existing tapped nipple by using a Y-connector to accomodate both the existing vacuum line and the lead to the PSE vacuum valve. I stress "SEEMS" to indicate this. I can't be sure, and hesitate to move forward until this is confirmed. The PSE kit does contain 2 of the Y-connectors, and I can only see where one is called for.

In the meantime, I'm running the wire so I can button up my Cab workings and get that out of the way.

Kim

2000 Cab

You are correct. Orient Express just tapped into one of the existing vacuum lines. I went the other route, lowered the engine a couple of inches and added the sleave behind the easy-to-access ones. Wish I had done it Orient's way. It would have been MUCH easier.

• Moderators

Yikes!

Someone actually went to the trouble of adding an additional bellows just to get a vacuum tap? (I pity the fool...) :P

Only do this if you are a Masochist! Vacuum is vacuum, it does not matter where you get it in the intake stream.

The easier more efficient, better way of getting a vacuum tap is to simply add a Y connector to the existing Vacuum tap on the back bellow as seen below:

Here is what you are looking for:

exhaustvac.jpg

and by adding a Y connector this tap you end up with this:

exhaustvac2.jpg

One line goes to the existing vacuum switch, and the other goes to the PSE vacuum switch. The white and black plastic round thing is a one-way valve to keep the vacuum line to the switch (and in the case of the PSE, the vacuum tank) evacuated when the car is off. There is an extra one of those in the kit as well, assuming that if you install the other bellows, you will need the valve as well.

The extra bellows that come in the PSE kit is for those cars (the PSE kit is a All Of World kit) that don't have a emissions related vacuum switch installed at the factory. It does not mean that you have to install it!

Does this clear things up?

Orient,

I think the problem arises because the TSB instructions are not clear. The instructions say to add the ring if the existing ring is in use (implying that a vacuum line already is attached). Clearly, the smarter way is to tap into that line, but some of us are/were not smart enough to figure that out. Both methods do work. Yours is clearly better.

One line goes to the existing vacuum switch, and the other goes to the PSE vacuum switch. The white and black plastic round thing is a one-way valve to keep the vacuum line to the switch (and in the case of the PSE, the vacuum tank) evacuated when the car is off. There is an extra one of those in the kit as well, assuming that if you install the other bellows, you will need the valve as well.

The extra bellows that come in the PSE kit is for those cars (the PSE kit is a All Of World kit) that don't have a emissions related vacuum switch installed at the factory. It does not mean that you have to install it!

Does this clear things up?

Thanks .... that's a great help. I was assuming most of this .... but you know what "assume" spells.

Anyway, one last question (famous last words) ... do you use the vacuum tank that comes with the PSE kit? The TSB says, "if needed". And, if one does use it, that takes the second Y-connector (if I read the diagrams correctly). Since you refer to an extra Y-connector AND the tank .... I am left without a firm hint as to whether you use the tank.

Going by your previous DIY, wires are in (to the fuse panel, at least), heat proof tubing is run from servos to the engine bay, and mufflers are mounted .... all awaiting the final vacuum connections.

Thanks, very much,

Kim

2000 Cab

• Moderators
... do you use the vacuum tank that comes with the PSE kit? The TSB says, "if needed". And, if one does use it, that takes the second Y-connector (if I read the diagrams correctly). Since you refer to an extra Y-connector AND the tank .... I am left without a firm hint as to whether you use the tank.

Going by your previous DIY, wires are in (to the fuse panel, at least), heat proof tubing is run from servos to the engine bay, and mufflers are mounted .... all awaiting the final vacuum connections.

Thanks, very much,

Kim

2000 Cab

Kim:

I installed the vacuum tank, but you are right that you will be a Y connector short if you connect your vacuum tap to the existing line like I did. So you can either go over to your local auto parts store and get a Y or a T connector or go over to your Porsche or VW store and get the "official" german part. The Porsche part number and Nomenclature is "928 573 727 03 Y-piece"

I'm glad my DIY helped out. One last thing is to make sure that you put the 2 little wires that connect to the vacuum switch in some flexible plastic conduit. I stuck a piece of shrink tubing over the end that the connector is on and secured the conduit to the connector that way. Or pick up a dust boot for the connector at the Porsche or VW store. The part number is 443 906 102 G and has audi rings on it.

I agree with Orient Express. Looking back, I should have just tapped into the existing vaccum but I was trying to follow the TSB to the letter. It wasn't a fun task!

I did not have to "lower the engine" into order to obtain more clearance thank goodness.

I'm sorry to ask you that in this post... but I ordered the PSE kit 000 044 200 21 this morning and the guy showed me this picture on his catalogue :

PSE.jpg

This seems not to be the same mufflers than Orient Express ones (those have a thin ridiculous bypass tube...)...

Is the kit I ordered the right kit : 000 044 200 21 with 996 613 988 10 A05 switch ????

• Moderators
Is the kit I ordered the right kit : 000 044 200 21 with 996 613 988 10 A05 switch ????

The 200 21 kit is the one that I installed, watch out on the switches, there was a batch that regardless of the part number, they were all right side switches.

That picture is interesting. It looks like the mod that some folks do to a regular 996 exhaust to make it into a PSE wanta-be. What is the photo from?

• Admin

The photo is an old photo of the early 3.4 liter small tube PSE. I have one of these on my 3.4 liter car. It does not sound or perform any different than the large tube version.

The version you will be getting (000 044 200 21) looks like this one (pic from Carnewal.com)

p96014.jpg

I'm all done. It sounds great. Going to pick up my new bumper at the paint shop this afternoon to wrap it all up.

Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Orient Express. His DIY, and the other available info is invaluable, even to a guy who considers himself a pretty fair shade tree mechanic. I suspect that I would have had to give up on the wiring and vacuum system were it not for RennTech.

In a new topic, I have posted some of my lessons learned.

Kim

2000 Cab