Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1999 Boxster Windshield

Hi,

Does anyone have the procedure for replacing a windshield?

Is the outside rubber trim piece reuseable?

I was changing wiper blades and left the wiper arms up. I lost my balance and hit both arms into the glass.

I have two 4"x10" star bursts. High insurance deductible. Best price $550.

Found a "used" "clean" windshield at a junk yard for $150.

What kind of problems could I encounter?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

You should check with your insurance company. Most insurance cover wineshield seperately with lower deductible. Usually $100.00 if windshield need to be replaced or free if just repair.

Hi,

Does anyone have the procedure for replacing a windshield?

Is the outside rubber trim piece reuseable?

I was changing wiper blades and left the wiper arms up. I lost my balance and hit both arms into the glass.

I have two 4"x10" star bursts. High insurance deductible. Best price $550.

Found a "used" "clean" windshield at a junk yard for $150.

What kind of problems could I encounter?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

We had a windshiled replaced in the Boxster last year and the guy from the glass shop did it in our driveway. I watched the installer to be certain that he was careful and wouldn't damage any of the interior surrounding the area. It looked easy and the rubber seal/trim was reused. They remove the surrounding trim and cut thru the sealer as it is glued in with silicone. Remove the damaged glass, clean up the residual sealer and glue in the new one. Care is taken to position it correctly and evenly side to side and top to bottom. Replace trim, put on blue masking tape all around so it doesn't slide around for 24 hours and you're done.

Edited by nick49

• Moderators

I have watched 4 replacements. I am all for DIYer projects, but this is not one.

Like most/all modern cars the winshield is glued in.

I have watched a body shop guy do it, a porsche mechanic at my local dealer, the van that comes to your house or work, and the van that comes to a dealer. They all do it the same way. No mystery.

I have never heard of someone trying to reuse a windshield on our cars. The glass is not that expensive, and sometimes they are damaged when removed.

post-4-1143867189_thumb.jpg

post-4-1143867243_thumb.jpg

I have watched 4 replacements. I am all for DIYer projects, but this is not one.

I have watched a body shop guy do it, a porsche mechanic at my local dealer, the van that comes to your house or work, and the van that comes to a dealer. They all do it the same way. No mystery.

I have never heard of someone trying to reuse a windshield on our cars. The glass is not that expensive, and sometimes they are damaged when removed.

Don't mess around with the windshield install. The windshield's primary function is to protect the driver from debris, but also to serve as an important piece of structural rigidity that adds to the car's ability to absorb and transfer impact pressures as a result of an accident. There was a special on DateLine a few months ago discussing faulty windshield installers habits. If the installer touches the windshield's edge, where the adhesive meets the glass and the frame, the results can be catastrophic. In some instances the glass detached and beheaded the occupants of the vehicle. The oil on your hand compromises the integrity of the adhesive material and creates weak points on the windshield causing it to POP out during an accident.

The good installers use gloves and knows the problems their laziness can cause. I recently had the windshield replaced in my wife's suburban and used the recommended installer that USAA suggested. I inspected the glass prior to installation, looking for fingerprints, and watched him install it. If he touched that glass, I'd have sent him packing. Do not fool around with this project, it's serious business. Also, if you buy a windshield off a wrecked car, that glass can already be compromised, but not visible to the naked eye. There are many areas to save money when conducting DIY projects, this is not one. Don't believe me, cruise the internet on the topic, ask the windshield installers. Pay-up and watch them closely. Let them know you are aware of the dangers. Good luck.

Edited by Loren

• 2 years later...

Why not?

What's so hard about this?

I agree with Happy1911, not a DIY job for the average Joe.

I have a degree in Shade Tree Mecahnics, and the windshield is one area I leave to the experts.

Not worth the few bucks saved to possibly have a leaky install, or worse. ;)

• Moderators

This thread is so old that I am already on my 3rd windshield. This time I removed the trim. Then the guys cut out the old glass, cleaned up the frame, and glued in the new windshield. Pictures are my 1997 with windshield #3.

Watching them working - it is not a difficult procedure. But experience sure helps. Plus, if they break the glass when putting it in then it is on their dime.

Maybe I'll give it a go when it is time for windshield #4.

post-4-1220289066_thumb.jpg

post-4-1220289104_thumb.jpg

Hey TP , I was gonna give it a shot too + DIY

I found a used glass window for $170,,,

But it won't be necessary not when U can get the whole mobile service for $270.00 :rolleyes

This thread is so old that I am already on my 3rd windshield. This time I removed the trim. Then the guys cut out the old glass, cleaned up th frame, and glued in the new windshield. Pictures are my 1997 with windshield #3.

Watching them working - it is not a difficult procedure. But experience sure helps. Plus, if they break the glass when putting it in then it is on their dime.

Maybe I'll give it a go when it is time for windshield #4.

Edited by juniinc