Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

:welcome:

You will find a Brake Pad DIY here.

Loren, I used the DIY, along with some others this weekend to replace my front pads and rotors. Thanks so much for contributing great information. While it wasn't a terribly complex task, it was reassuring to have read through these instructions and some others prior to pulling things apart.

I do wonder why the instructions recommend replacement of the pad spring and the retaining pin assembly. Mine were in perfect shape, not counting accumulated brake grime. I also replaced the screws that attach the rotor to the hub but only ordered two, hence I have two new ones in one side and two reused ones on the other. I don't think that is going to be a problem though.

The only other thing that I am curious about now is the wear sensor indicators. I used a mount and a drill press to drill the new Hawk pads to accept the wear sensors without any problem. I thought that would 'fix' them from coming on as it appeared that only the outside plastic was worn through. The thick wire of the sensors appeared intact. However, my light has returned. Any ideas? I'm not entirely convinced that I need them but I'd like to keep things as 'complete' as possible so there aren't any questions in the future.

• Admin

Porsche considers the pads spring a replacement item because they can be overheated and lose tension. My understanding on the bolts is that when they are installed (the first time) they are torqued to a specific stretch limit and if you re-torque them they lose some strength. For most daily drivers that is not likely a problem.

Check the wire connections on each pad sensor. If you have access to an ohm meter you can unplug each sensor and check the continuity through the sensor to find a bad one. Or. some folks just twist two wires together and tie-wrap them to the chassis.

........you have access to an ohm meter you can unplug each sensor and check the continuity through the sensor to find a bad one. Or. some folks just twist two wires together and tie-wrap them to the chassis.

Hadn't thought to check the resistance. :cursing: Doh! I'll check that once I get back from Deal's Gap this weekend.

Porsche considers the pads spring a replacement item because they can be overheated and lose tension. My understanding on the bolts is that when they are installed (the first time) they are torqued to a specific stretch limit and if you re-torque them they lose some strength. For most daily drivers that is not likely a problem.

As you said, replacing the springs is just a general precaution that practically all brake manufacturers recommend.

The bolts are not torque-to-yield, so they don't lose any of their strength when re-used. The reason Porsche recommend changing them is that they have some protective coating that wears off once you've installed them.

It's not a bad idea to change them, particularly if you live in a corrosive environment, e.g. close to the sea. I have seen bolts strip the thread out of wheel carriers a couple of times, particularly with the new bolts that are slightly longer than the old ones and stick out the wheel carrier a little bit. That said, most workshops would not delay repairs just because they haven't got new bolts available. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Uwe

Edited by umn
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Hi, new to forum I need to put new pads on my 2004 911 c2 I can't seem to find a DIY please help thanks Rob

I will be tracking my car and plan on switching from track pads to street pads quite often. Is changing the the pad springs necessary? Thanks!

• 1 year later...