Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bumper blocks?

Hi all,

It seems that the US Boxsters have those ugly bumper blocks (next to the license plate) on the back which the European cars don't have... I removed one of them to see what was behind, and it looks like they've welded a block of metal on, and cut a hole in the bumper, to screw that thing to it... I can only assume these blocks exist because of the higher chance of rear-end accidents in the US.

My questions is, are these blocks there for legal reasons (i.e. it's illiegal to remove them), or could I remove it (and replace the bumper because of the big holes they cut out)?

Alternatively I might paint them to the body colour, but I'd prefer to get rid of them...

Thanks!

Shash

Hi all,

It seems that the US Boxsters have those ugly bumper blocks (next to the license plate) on the back which the European cars don't have... I removed one of them to see what was behind, and it looks like they've welded a block of metal on, and cut a hole in the bumper, to screw that thing to it... I can only assume these blocks exist because of the higher chance of rear-end accidents in the US.

My questions is, are these blocks there for legal reasons (i.e. it's illiegal to remove them), or could I remove it (and replace the bumper because of the big holes they cut out)?

Alternatively I might paint them to the body colour, but I'd prefer to get rid of them...

Thanks!

Shash

We offer them painted all day long (core swap). Easy solution.

or.....remove them, weld off the brackets, replace the bumper cover with a euro bumper cover, fit, prep and paint. $245 vs $900+. Your call.

B)

Yea... I thought about painting them, but I think it looks sooo much better without them at all (although painting makes a HUGE difference!)... Maybe if I can find a second-hand euro bumper, although shipping would likely cost a fortune...

Alternatively I could remove the bumper, remove the brackets, glue in some ABS plastic into the holes on the bumper, fill in the gaps with filler, sand it down to a smooth even surface, prime it, then paint & blend it in... That should cost a lot less since I'll be doing most of the work myself, and I get the look I want without spending hundreds on a euro bumper that's difficult to get in the US. The only problem would be the tow-point which is right there on the euro version (and is still there on the US version, just covered by those ugly blocks, although there's nothing behind it - only the metal bumper!)

I need to think about this some more ;)

Thanks!

Shash

Edited by Rom

It isn't a euro bumper cover. If you buy a new bumper cover from Porsche it won't have the holes hacked in it for the brackets for the pads.

Todd

Ahh, so they cut those holes out when fitting the bumper?? No wonder the holes weren't cut straight...

Does anyone know WHY the US cars have those blocks? Is it a DoT requirement, or is Porsche just trying to protect the cars better?

I don't wanna get fined for not having it on! I can't find any articles dealing with it here...

Thanks!

Shash

My guess is to meet US DOT bumper crash results requirements. Is anyone going to care if you remove them? No but your insurance company could deny a claim unless you could put them back after you are hit.

Speaking as one who took a $3-4K hit from the rear, the bumperettes saved my sheet metal and lights. That is right, the initial quote to fix with absolutely no sheet metal or lights damage was $3k and they found more after they opened the whole thing up. By then her insurance was paying so I have no idea what the final bill was. Just that it would have been lots more had I not had the bumperettes.

Also protects your muffler tips.

I'm actually amazed that Porsche did not colour-code them from day one. The black really doesn't look good (well, unless you have a black Boxster, that is!). Anyway, I may just get the painted ones then *sigh*...

Never had this problem in the UK... *mumbles* ;)

Thanks!

Shash

• 9 months later...
hi,

is there a way for the 2002 and older models to get replacements for these blocks to make it look like 2003 and newer models (besides painting)? thanks

I had mine painted they look way better cost arround 150 with paint.

cool - i'll be looking forward to seeing them. do you just paint the black rubber bumperettes? is there a formal name to this piece?

it's different material for the MY2003+ vs the MY2002 and below right? the 2002 and below are some kind of rubber material right? whereas the 2003 and newer seem to be same material as the bumper?

Im glad the AU cars dont have these, there such an eyesore

Thanks for answering my curiosity, always wondered why US cars had these :)

I guess its got to do with companies like ford and chev releasing 400+hp cars that weigh tons and use milk bottle cap breaks to stop.

Im glad the AU cars dont have these, there such an eyesore

Thanks for answering my curiosity, always wondered why US cars had these :)

I guess its got to do with companies like ford and chev releasing 400+hp cars that weigh tons and use milk bottle cap breaks to stop.

I had an independent autobody place do it. I took some pics this morning didn't come out to good. I will take more if you want.Yea when I took the bumperettes off I was thinking what hack cut into the bumper like this lol what is this a Honda.

Also this website sells them but they are alot but I did order some bumper plugs and door lock plug perfect match.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

http://members.cox.net/fattony2142/DSCF1229.JPG

http://members.cox.net/fattony2142/DSCF1230.JPG

Edited by Joe T

We offer them painted all day long (core swap). Easy solution.

B)

Eric - have any group buys on painted bumper blocks coming up this spring? :thumbup:

I have to admit, the painted ones on my wife's 997 look nicer than the black textured ones on my 986