Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

oil consumption ?

I have a 2002 Cab and was wondering what normal oil comsumption is. I recently added 1/4 qt when the oil gage was showing four bars down. THis took it to full. I drove about 400 miles and now the gage is showing three bars down. Is this normal? No leaks are visable under the car.

THanks for any help

My 2000 C4 goes two or three bars down after a 1,000 mile journey and I believe this is to be expected...

Make sure however that you always check with the car in the same position and when the engine has not been started for a good while, say first thing in the morning.

I would have it checked for leaks, IMO. But use the dipstick before adding any oil, and make sure the car is in a level spot. A small incline can throw it off.

I have a 99 with 57K miles, track it about 12 times a year, and had never added more than 1/2 quart in the entire year. Always bring an extra bottle for track days, but I never have had to use it.

Richard, that is pretty good, wonder what the record is for highest miles in a 996 engine. I am planning on running mine until its last breath.

Skipp, just noticed you are in Charlotte, me too. I use 0-40 Mobil 1 in winter, but change to Syntec 5-50 for summer (Walmart carries it). I asked the mechanics at Hendricks and they agreed, use heavier for summer. I changed in late April, will run the same until October. Heavier oil in our 90 degree days may reduce seepage. Just a thought.

First, mine take a full quart with 5-6 bars. When you check it, make sure the car is cold and all the oil is back in the sump and bottom of the crankcase. If you check it shortly after running, it won't read accurate. This is due to oil still settling. On the street I will consume a quart in 2-3K miles. On the track, I normally consume a quart in a single day with 4 20-30 minute sessions.

I have a 2002 Cab and was wondering what normal oil comsumption is. I recently added 1/4 qt when the oil gage was showing four bars down. THis took it to full. I drove about 400 miles and now the gage is showing three bars down. Is this normal? No leaks are visable under the car.

THanks for any help

I used about one liter( a quart ) for the last 13 000 kms. I That's during 1 1/2 years and with unfixed (minor)RMS! My clutch and the RMS are having a battle over which one of them will last longer...

Never had a car with such low consumption. The first year I used to pull the stick every time because I couldn't believe it. Car ist now at 73 000 kms.

Thorsten

I just added a quart on my 02 C4 Cab after 3,000 miles around Europe and pressure is around 4bar.

However, as soon as I added the oil (5W40 Synthetic), the engine idle regime could not settle down at 750rpm and stayed at 1,250rpm which sounds anoying.

Any of you already had the issue?

Thanks.