Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Admin

Buy your keys from Sunset Imports then take them in with the tags and have the dealer cut the metal part and program the button part to your car.

If you have any keys left you should take them in also - because you can only program 4 keys total into the immobilizer.

I lost my keys... <_<

The dealership should be able to cut a new key given the VIN, right?

How much is this gonna set me back?

I recently was quoted $175 for the remote and $150 to program it from a dealer. A blank is about $40. I passed.

bolobar

Edited by bolobar

Buy your keys from Sunset Imports then take them in with the tags and have the dealer cut the metal part and program the button part to your car.

If you have any keys left you should take them in also - because you can only program 4 keys total into the immobilizer.

Will the Carrera GT keyhead's transmitter work with my '99 996?

Thanks

• Admin

Will the Carrera GT keyhead's transmitter work with my '99 996?

Thanks

Yes, 000.044.000.83 Design key work on any Carrera MY1999-MY2005

You put your blade, transponder, and circuit board in the Design Key.

Roger Beasley Porsche told me that the new key would run $330.

I asked them if I could just bring in a key that I bought elsewhere with the head/blank and he said no.

He said that the key's got to be cut by Porsche because they cut it with a laser.

He also said that I'd need to have the car towed to the dealership for programming.

Should I just tow them my car and order sunset's key anyway?

Thanks guys

Edited by SNaray8442

• Moderators

I take it you have no keys and cannot start the car.

The dealer needs to program your car for replacement keys. The PST2/PIWIS is plugged into your car where the purple plug is under the steering wheel. So they need your car.

My dealership has a key cutting machine but the parts guys don't like to use it because they might screw up the key blank. Instead they get you to order what is called a stipulated key, which is a key cut by Porsche based on your VIN.

Loren,

When I bought my keys from Sunset, I emailed them a scan of the title showing me as owner and the VIN, and they sent me keys already cut and ready to go.

Loren,

When I bought my keys from Sunset, I emailed them a scan of the title showing me as owner and the VIN, and they sent me keys already cut and ready to go.

"ready to go" does that means you started your car with no further programing, if that is the case, how much did you pay?

"ready to go" does that means you started your car with no further programing, if that is the case, how much did you pay?

No. I meant that the shaft had already been cut to fit my car.

I had to take it to the dealer, along with the valet key I bought from Sunset. Cost for the dealer to mate the 2 keys to my car: $47.50 .... and they gave me a cup of Starbucks while I waited.

• Admin

Just a few points of clarification...

When you program a key you must have ALL the keys present. There are only 4 key slots available in the immobilizer - so max keys is 4.

When you replace a bad key you need the good keys so you know which key code is the bad one to program over.

If don't have all the keys present you run the risk of programming over a good key and leaving the bad key program in the immobilizer (wasting a spot or disabling another key).

As Kim said the key blank (blade, metal part) must be cut to fit the car (ignition and door).

Never buy a "new" or "never used" key without the 24 digit key code tag. Without the tag the key is worthless and can be programmed to a car.

Loren,

how much did it cost???

how much did it cost???

Loren has recently posted price info from Sunset, I believe .... but my memory is that a key blank (no head) cut for my car was around $80, and the valet key already cut was a little more.

No. I meant that the shaft had already been cut to fit my car.

I had to take it to the dealer, along with the valet key I bought from Sunset. Cost for the dealer to mate the 2 keys to my car: $47.50 .... and they gave me a cup of Starbucks while I waited.

Thanks Kim

Thanks Loren

• 5 years later...

WOW this is good to know I need to call Sunset and have them cut a key for me

I just recently (Last week of June 2013) had 2 keys made from the valet key. Here is what i did...

Took picture of my valet key and emailed to keysinthepost.com (found them on ebay, yes they are in the UK). For 28.00, I received 2 metal key blades cut to fit my car (tested and it turns door and ignition locks).

Contacted Tysons Porsche (in Vienna Virginia) and was quoted $225 per key fob and $89 for each blade cut for my car and $130.00 service to get them programmed., I requested the part number for the fobs as they claim there could have been different key fobs for the car.

Then I searched the part number on ebay and purchased 2 new fobs (130.00 each in the original Porsche baggie with tags) for 260.00. shipped to my mail box in less than a week.

Took both fobs with my precut blades installed in the fobs to Tysons Porsche for programming. Tysons Porsche only charged me 1/2 an hour (65.00) to program both keys, not the full hour the parts guy thought. And they vaccummed out the inside of my car! I bet they would have washed it had it not been raining!

Total damages - $ 353 ($28 for 2 precut blades, 260.00 for 2 fobs, and 65.00 for programming) for 2 completely functioning key

Total time - just a bit over 1 week.

WOW. I went today to a shop in Miami and was quoted $831.39 for 1 cut key and two fob heads and programing.

Key Coding and programing: $250.00

1 X Cut Key: $149.00

2 x Key fob $378

I understand we drive a nice car but come one $830 for car keys!

I'm going to order the keys now (keysinthepost.com). thanks

• 8 years later...
On 6/10/2008 at 7:41 PM, Loren said:

Just a few points of clarification...

When you program a key you must have ALL the keys present. There are only 4 key slots available in the immobilizer - so max keys is 4.

When you replace a bad key you need the good keys so you know which key code is the bad one to program over.

If don't have all the keys present you run the risk of programming over a good key and leaving the bad key program in the immobilizer (wasting a spot or disabling another key).

As Kim said the key blank (blade, metal part) must be cut to fit the car (ignition and door).

Never buy a "new" or "never used" key without the 24 digit key code tag. Without the tag the key is worthless and can be programmed to a car.

The reason you need all your keys is that when you/dealership try and select one transponder pill to delete the PIWIS will delete them all! So then you need to go back and re-add each key or you aren't going anywhere.

Switching gears to the remote fob:

Loren do you know how to read out the 24 digit code from the car for the two remotes that come from the factory? I have a 2nd "original key" where the fob stopped working. Wondering if I can remove and re-add it to see if will work again. Also worried that the "remote" section will operate similar to the "transponder" section where if you select one line to remove then all the remotes get deleted. How would I know the 24 digit code to re-pair the still working other key? (Three key heads in hand but only new replacement key has 24 digit white tag)

I just paired up the new remote but lucked out that I have an open slot 4 and did not have to delete anything in the PIWIS for the "remote" section. I have now three keys where two work for starting + remote unlocking. Trying to figure out what I want to do with the 3rd key where the remote stopped working.....can it be fixed?.....turn into a valet key?

My dad's 996 also has a key that got "orphaned". Found that key after the dealership stupidly removed remote/transponder slots when adding a replacement backup key. Seriously why did they not just use slot#3 for both on the new key preserving the #2 key if found? Anyways, ideally I would like to figure out if anyway to get the remote working again but hard to figure out what the immobilizer uses to turn the 24 digit code into the "stored remote code". Guessing I am SOL on that since they likely cleared out all the "remote" section when adding a backup key. Does Porsche NA know all the original 24 digit remote codes in a database somewhere........

Edited by 987_RDC

• Admin

If it was an original key then a dealer/OPC might be able to look it up.

The 24 digit codes in the immobilizer are encrypted so you won't get them out of the immobilizer. That is so it is very hard to steal a newer Porsche.

Otherwise you might have to buy a new key and get it coded to your car.