Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Carbon cannister removal

Hello all,

Has anybody attempted to remove the carbon cannister in the front trunk of a C4 based 997? If so, any pointers or tips would be helpful. I need to get the grommet behind the filter to pass a cable to cabin (installing Dension iPod adapter).

Thanks,

Matt

You might try looking at the DIY that Loren did with a MY99 996. The carbon cannister was in the passenger's side wheel well next to the door frame. If that's where yours is located....Loren did a DIY with pictures that might help you. I just don't know if the cannisters are in the same place, but they might be kuz Porsche doesn't like to re-tool if they can help it. Good luck Chuck

• Admin

The EVAP canister in a a 997 is quite different than a 996. It is a rectangular box that sits in the trunk. But the functions are the same.

If you disconnect it from it's mounting screws and then disconnect the electrical and vapor lines then it should come right out.

Hello all,

Has anybody attempted to remove the carbon cannister in the front trunk of a C4 based 997? If so, any pointers or tips would be helpful. I need to get the grommet behind the filter to pass a cable to cabin (installing Dension iPod adapter).

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

I just accomplished the same thing you are trying to do on my '07 987S. I wasn't able to completely get the carbon canister out (away from the bulkhead) even after removing the two screws (it stayed attached mysteriously at the top of the canister mount). However, after removing the two screws I was able to pull the canister far enough away from the bulkhead (about 1/2 inch) that I could fish my MP3 connection through the grommet -- it was a tight fit but doable. As for the rest of the install, I tapped into the power via the unused CD changer power plug that was taped to the carbon canister wires (behind the carpet) and tapped into the MOST ring where it plugs into the Bose amplifier.

Cheers,

Fads

• 8 years later...
  • Admin

I am trying to remove my canister as well.  The parts diagram does not help though.  It is from a 2 wheel drive and the 4's are different.  

The only thing that should be different (according to the Porsche parts list) is vent line (item 2 on the bottom) and the support on top is slightly different but attaches the same way.

The outer lid lid design changed but again is functionally the same.

The photos above the diagram are from a C4S.

I am trying to remove my canister as well.  The parts diagram does not help though.  It is from a 2 wheel drive and the 4's are different.  

The only thing that should be different (according to the Porsche parts list) is vent line (item 2 on the bottom) and the support on top is slightly different but attaches the same way.

The outer lid lid design changed but again is functionally the same.

The photos above the diagram are from a C4S.

I see the photos above and that is exactly how my car looks.  The top of the bracket where the screw is shown on the parts diagram is behind the unit.  The bracket on the 4's turns down not up.  Therefore there is no head of a screw that is exposed that I can see.  If you look on the other side of the wall there is a screw that I removed, but it did not release the bracket.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Bruce in Philly said:

Anyone know the maintenance interval on this filter?  I have a 2009 C2S with 105K miles.... time to replace it?

Bruce in Philly

If you are referring to the charcoal canister, it is self regenerating and should last the life of the car. 

18 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

If you are referring to the charcoal canister, it is self regenerating and should last the life of the car. 

Thanx Jeff,

In my parts Katalog for my 2009, it appears to be a paper unit 997-201-501-00 ...  check it out.  When I see these types of paper filters, I think it has a limited life.

Peace

Bruce in Philly

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 4/2/2017 at 2:35 PM, bberryj said:

To bberryj, I just did mine today, a 2009 997.2. The other way to remove the vent line is to disconnect it from the other end (gray color end). You can access this by removing the battery tray first. You’ll have enough space at the bottom of the canister to disconnect the blue color end of the vent line. Good luck!