Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

AMP Harness Connector Tool

I already tried Radio Shack, however they only seem to have the round pin extractors and were very confused when I mentioned I needed pin extractors for AMP connectors. They thought I was working on my stereo.

Todd

Edited by tholyoak

I already tried Radio Shack, however they only seem to have the round pin extractors and were very confused when I mentioned I needed pin extractors for AMP connectors. They thought I was working on my stereo.

Todd

ack radio

Thanks for all the suggestions. All of these places have AMP extraction tools, but none seem appropriate for the type of AMP connector I have shown. I was hoping someone had experience with this and could tell me I need a particular set of tools rather than buying a bunch of incorrect tools or spending an hour searching the internet for something that may work.

Todd

Thanks for all the suggestions. All of these places have AMP extraction tools, but none seem appropriate for the type of AMP connector I have shown. I was hoping someone had experience with this and could tell me I need a particular set of tools rather than buying a bunch of incorrect tools or spending an hour searching the internet for something that may work.

try this catalog: http://www.aerocraftparts.com/images/Catal...-Pages20-35.pdf

i believe you want part # M81969/1-02 on page 30.

Anyone know where to get the tools to remove the pins fro the AMP connectors on the DME harness?

post-4060-1175694019.jpg

Thanks

Todd

Did you try Fry's? I hate those stores, but they seems to have lots of hard to find stuff

Sears automotive tool departments have all kinds of odd items as well, but I never looked for a pin removal tool there

Hi Todd:

I think there is some confusion over your picture, including myself. The pins are not round as I first assumed, but rectangular or blade type, correct? Outpost.com is Fry’s online by the way. Here on the West coast everyone knows Fry’s. Back to the point.

I have not seen a tool to remove the rectangular pins, they are usually used for power applications, and sometimes molded into the connector, if not, there probably is a removal tool, but expensive. A pair of flat end tweezers or bird nose pliers won’t do I assume. I do not know what part of the U.S. you are in, or even if you are in the country. You could try calling Norvac Electronics in Portland OR at (503) 644-1025, they are very helpful, and if you can find an AMP part number on the connector that they could look up, they could tell you exactly what you need. They will probable know with just your description. Here is another bad Web site : http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.js...equestid=224510

Sorry for the confusion, I hope this helps. :)

• Moderators

The AMP/Tyco connectors and pins used by Porsche are automotive metric. The dealer has a set of tools for all the connectors, made by this company http://www.mibostahl.com/. The set is expensive. I have never played with those pins so I do not know which tool you need.

Hazet, Stahlwille, and several other companies also make these pin removal tools that you can buy as a kit or just the tool you need.

Here are some more.

http://www.office-netshop.de/shop/gallery/ART_00062271.html

http://www.tgs-tools.com/

http://www.tkr-tools.de/online-katalog/entriege.htm

post-4-1175735622_thumb.jpg

has anyone actually found the right tool (replacing the 9701?)? does the swiss army style one do it? i just ordered a kabelex 1504...$58, dimensionally, it looks to be the right tool. i will know shortly

has anyone actually found the right tool (replacing the 9701?)? does the swiss army style one do it? i just ordered a kabelex 1504...$58, dimensionally, it looks to be the right tool. i will know shortly

ok, i will confirm that it does in fact have the 9701 bit...and it works perfectly. in addition it has the twin prong tip as well that works on vw/audi/porsche

ok, i will confirm that it does in fact have the 9701 bit...and it works perfectly. in addition it has the twin prong tip as well that works on vw/audi/porsche

but remember to unclick or unlock the pins fron the harness side of the connecter...not the flat face...

I received this tool and it works just fine on all of the different connector pins. For the price, I don't think you can beat it.

Todd

ToolPants

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAct...amp;ProdID=8893

Here

is the link, I found it cheaper on ebay though

Todd

Todd,

I have a 98, love the colors and my audio, would rather mod than replace,

engine: You have done 2.5 Super, 3.4 and 3.6?

Just wondering if there is a thread on your engine mods and experience, and/or, if in a sentence or three,

your opinion:

I'f I'm on a budget, would you recommend 2.5 super or 3.4 swap and why?

Tks,

Tony

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...c=13527&hl=

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...c=11411&hl=

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ic=4798&hl=

Personally I wouldn't recommend a supercharger, but that is just a personal thing. I'm sure there are people that would be happy with a supercharged 2.5.

Todd

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I will bring this back to life.

I bought the Sir Tools 9025 - the swiss army knife thing with 12 tools. In the first picture is also the Sir Tools 9701 round pin tool (now discontinued) that I bought years ago, as a reference for the picture. The 9025 has 5 round pin extractors. I have not yet tried to use the 9025. There are different style connectors used by Porsche so I will have to see what style connectors are covered by the 12 extractors. However, the 12th is a joke - just a flat blade screwdriver bit.

There is also a Sir Tools 9024. Same swiss army style but with 6 exactractors. The poor quality picture is from the internet as I do not have this tool. But I can see from the poor quality picture that at least some of the 6 extractors in 9024 are different or look different than 9025

post-4-1186877209_thumb.jpg

post-4-1186877224.jpg

Tool Pants,

I used the tool to do all the rewiring for my DME 7.8 integration into my '99 and it worked pretty well. Not the best tool ever made, but certainly works well at a fraction of the cost of the factory tools.

Now on a related question, do you know if the AMP connectors for the DME are available as spare parts?

Todd

I bought the Sir Tools 9025 - the swiss army knife thing with 12 tools. In the first picture is also the Sir Tools 9701 round pin tool (now discontinued) that I bought years ago, as a reference for the picture. The 9025 has 5 round pin extractors. I have not yet tried to use the 9025. There are different style connectors used by Porsche so I will have to see what style connectors are covered by the 12 extractors. However, the 12th is a joke - just a flat blade screwdriver bit.

There is also a Sir Tools 9024. Same swiss army style but with 6 exactractors. The poor quality picture is from the internet as I do not have this tool. But I can see from the poor quality picture that at least some of the 6 extractors in 9024 are different or look different than 9025

• Moderators

Today, I tried one of the 12 extractors on an oxygen sensor connector. It worked. Not as nice as the tool the dealership has, but you can't beat the price. And it is easier than shoving paper clips or brass tubes or jewelers screwdrivers into the connector when you want to remove a pin.

post-4-1186945898_thumb.jpg

post-4-1186945925_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Now on a related question, do you know if the AMP connectors for the DME are available as spare parts?

I have never played with the DME connectors, like you have. On other style Amp connectors I was able to decode them enough to buy them from BMW or Mercedes or VW. Are there any VW/Audi/Mercedes/BMW logos on the connectors?

At the end of one of my wiring diagrams is a list of all the connectors used in the car. There are numbers above each connector but they look nothing like a part number. The pictures are a sample.

Years ago Peter Smith showed me an electrical repair kit at the dealership. This kit also had a diagram of the connectors. There must be a way of buying just the connector, rather than buying a wiring harness just to get the connector. But I do not know how. I would have to ask Peter to see if he knows how.

post-4-1186946975_thumb.jpg

post-4-1186947001_thumb.jpg