Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

extended warranty

Hello. I just bought a 2002 Carrera 4S and the warranty expired in April. Should I get the extended warranty?

The dealer charges me $2700 for 2 years or 100K miles. Covers everything except tear and wear stuff and suspension problems...

Is it worth it? Is it better to get my local Porsche mechanic? How reliable is this car. Are there any recalls?

What could be the worse that could break $$$$$$$.

Thanks in advance for the info.

SGJ

Hello. I just bought a 2002 Carrera 4S and the warranty expired in April. Should I get the extended warranty?

The dealer charges me $2700 for 2 years or 100K miles. Covers everything except tear and wear stuff and suspension problems...

Is it worth it? Is it better to get my local Porsche mechanic? How reliable is this car. Are there any recalls?

SGJ

The question of buying addtional warranty is a tough one. There are a number of after market warranties available. Most except warranty direct will not cover "wear and tear". I purchased 4 years or 48,000 coverage on my 2000 Boxster for about 2500. with 100 deductible per failure. Did more shopping and comparing before buying than I did when I was searching for my car.....

I got one from Warranty4wheels.com for $2925 for 4 years - 60K miles with 0 deductible for my 99 C4 Cab.

It covers most things....all seals (RMS), gaskets and what not, and covers wear and tear. Only thing I haven't clearly figured out is if they cover the engine in the case of intermixing.

The recommended one out there the JM&A one which often Porsche dealers sell. I would have gotten it..but many dealers in my area don't sell extended warrantees..and the ones who do want you to have bought the car from them....go figure.

thanks,

Amir

I got one from Warranty4wheels.com for $2925 for 4 years - 60K miles with 0 deductible for my 99 C4 Cab.

It covers most things....all seals (RMS), gaskets and what not, and covers wear and tear. Only thing I haven't clearly figured out is if they cover the engine in the case of intermixing.

The recommended one out there the JM&A one which often Porsche dealers sell. I would have gotten it..but many dealers in my area don't sell extended warrantees..and the ones who do want you to have bought the car from them....go figure.

thanks,

Amir

As you have a late model it is quite possible that you may decide to sell it while the warranty is in force. Some are transferable while others are not.

I live near Seattle and the local dealer chooses to sell the non-transferable sort while a local non-dealer competitor sells the more desirable transferable one, so it pays to shop around. The competitor said that I could also buy a warranty later (for more). I am not sure if they will cover a car bought elsewhere, maybe they would want to check the car first. They have been much more reasonable than the dealer (so far) which is why I bought my last car from them.

I would highly recommend purchasing an extended warranty for anyone buying a pre-owned 996. The risk of RMS failure was enough for me to get one from CNA roughly $2500. It has already payed for itself in the way of new coolant expansion tank, RMS and IMS seal replacement.

It is great to enjoy the new P-car, and not have to worry about the little things! I feel that peace of mind is worth the money!

-Sean

• 2 weeks later...
I would highly recommend purchasing an extended warranty for anyone buying a pre-owned 996. The risk of RMS failure was enough for me to get one from CNA roughly $2500. It has already payed for itself in the way of new coolant expansion tank, RMS and IMS seal replacement.

It is great to enjoy the new P-car, and not have to worry about the little things! I feel that peace of mind is worth the money!

-Sean

Where did you get the CNA extened warranty, is there a web site to go to., Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Atlanta and Jim Ellis Porsche sold me the Fidelity Insurance Gold Plus plan (extended warranty) 2 years ago and, so far, it stinks.

It has not covered anything--

Air bag light fix ($600 w/labor)

Reverse light switch ($125 w/labor)

Vanity mirror lid assembly ($125 w/labor)

Iginition lock/steer lock housing ($400 w/labor)

I bought it after I had the RMS leak fix ($2500) and they have not approved a repair yet.

Edited by gry

• 10 months later...

SGJ

The correct website that one of the other members had for Warranty4wheels.com is really Warranties 4 Wheels Please make sure you go here. the other site is only a listing site, no quotes given. Thanks.

SGJ

I got my warranty from www.autowarranties.com, the parent company is Auto Advantage, Inc. I debated on getting one and initially resolved not to buy one. After my water pump died on me ($1000), I decided to get the warranty. BTW the warranty would have covered the water pump. I got the 4 year 75k warranty for about 2700 bucks....bumper-to-bumper coverage.

I checked with the BBB and looked at the insurance company covering the warranty, etc. One thing I noticed was that a lot of the warranty companies use the same insurance company. For example, Warranty 4 Wheels uses the same insurance company as Auto Advantage, the only difference being how much the broker is willing to take as a cut for selling the warranty. Warranty 4 Wheels was the 2nd cheapest quote I got.

So far, I haven't had to use the services of the warranty, but hopefully, it will do what it promises.

Good luck!

I had Warranties4wheels too in my older '99. Good luck when it comes time to use it. They are brokers who will sell the warranty to a third party. I would not recommend.

I had Warranties4wheels too in my older '99. Good luck when it comes time to use it. They are brokers who will sell the warranty to a third party. I would not recommend.

So, do you have bad experience with Warranties4whees? If you have, tell us about it, and what state are you in? Thanks.

Also, I found out that if your car still has the original manufacturer's warranty that has not yet expired, you can extend your coverage by buying extended warranty from an authorized porsche dealer. However, the warranty company is not from Porsche though.....and it's not considered a CPO'ed one.

Am I better off to shop around and find an outside company which might offer a better quote with better coverage?

john

IMO, I would stick with the Porsche dealer even though it may not be PCNA warranty. But I have a good rapport with my local dealer service department, and trust that if they sell the warranty they won't try to screw you later. I had bad experiences with aftermarket ones.

And I do think a Porsche will benefit from the extended warranty, one small hiccup and the warranty cost will seem like no big deal.

Unlike our Honda minivan, that extended warranty is as useful as a wings on a pig, succer doesn't break no matter how hard the wife and kids try!!

I would get one.. that particular one sounds a tad expensive though, as I paid only $700 more for 4 years instead of 2... But if you have a good relation with the dealership and they stand behind "their" warranty offering, it's worth getting it no matter the price. A new engine install is $12500, I figure $2-3K for 4 years of peace if worthwhile - then you can move on to a used 997 ;-)

I checked with Porsche dealer and they offer 3rd party warranty. The 3rd party affects right away that overlap with current warranty (doesn't make sense but two dealers quoted the same thing). Which only give me 2 1/2 years more because my car was delivery 1/2 year before the model year. The cost is very expensive compare other 3rd party if I shop around. For instead, I can get a 3rd party warranty from outside, $1000.00 less from the Porsche dealer but with 5 years of extension. The only benifit getting from the dealer is they said they honor the warranty even the company gone out of business.

My frined bought a used Carrera over a year ago from a MB dealer in San Jose, CA. The MB dealer sold him an extended warranty thought a company call EFG Company based in Taxes. 5 years for $2600.00, price sounds fair enough for a 5 years old used vehicle that the warranty already expired. Few months ago the took his Carrera to an indenpendant auto repair shop for some repair and the claim went thought very smooth. The cliam was over $1500.00 and the shop was suprise that the warranty company was so easy to deal with. I will see if I could contact that company or who sell EFG warranty in the Bay Area.

SGJ

I would not recommend it.......

You should just take the money and invest it in a high yielding money market account i.e. Citibank e-savings @ 6% APR and wait for the issues that may or may not come. Either way, at the end of the 2 years you may have used some or all of it on a repair or have extra money for a downpayment on a Porsche.

I made the mistake of buying a 3rd party warranty from AA Autowarranty for approx $2500 and the insurance provider went bankrupt and I was SOL. There is a class action lawsuit but I'm sure that i wll get about $10 bucks back after the lawyers are done with their fees.

Fortunately, Fred Lavery Porsche in Birmingham, MI repaired my RMS leak in good faith since it was the second time it was repaired for the same issue .

got a 02 996 C2 coupe 16,500 miles a few weeks ago. The factory warranty was up 6/06- debated about just taking my chances- looked at some ext warranty on line but many wouldn't sell in Hawaii with 911- went to dealer & bought only warranty they sell from JM&A. Got the exclusionary policy which looks to be comprehensive. We'll see when i need to use it.

Thought it was good that i could get a warranty on a 5 yrs old car. It covers me for another 6 yrs and 72K more miles.. Car was NOT bought new from this dealer & i bought it from private party who did service it there. Price was a bit more than i wanted to spend-- ranged for 3 yrs 36K to 6 yr 72k at $2700 to $4,400. But everything is expensive in Hawaii.

The 5 yr 60k mile seemed best price at $3,600- i opted for 6 yr figuring it would help me sell in 3 yrs if i decided to upgrade- It's transferrable & refundable (pro rata based on length & miles). I pay $3500 annually for homeowners ins in HI. We'll see what breaks, what is covered when time comes or if i should have listened to others and banked the $.

Barry

Edited by bgrpph

• 1 year later...
  • Admin
Loren -

Might want to put runningthingz on notice.... spaming on the board with click through referral links... check the post history.. nothing but the same post for warranty services.

Thanks - all of his commercial posts have been deleted and he has been banned.